Forum > Broadcast Errors > Broadcast Errors > What On Earth is going on Discovery?
Old 2017-09-27 , 17:07
Changes remote batteries hourly

Default What On Earth is going on Discovery?

121 Discovery is currently showing the continuation of the series What On Earth season 3, which premieres on Thursday evenings @ 20:00.
The episodes have always been in numeric order.

Next up should be S3E18 tomorrow night @ 20:00, but instead they've got S3E2 scheduled

Further, the repeat slot @ 22:00 has E17 from last week scheduled

Lastly, E18 is scheduled for next week Thursday, but is supposedly premiering @ 22:00 instead, with some other series scheduled @ 20:00

TIA
Old 2017-09-27 , 18:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Further, the repeat slot @ 22:00 has E17 from last week scheduled

Lastly, E18 is scheduled for next week Thursday, but is supposedly premiering @ 22:00 instead, with some other series scheduled @ 20:00
Please ignore the above factors, as I was confused I ended up looking at tonight (Wed.), and then next week Wed.

Therefore only the first part that's querying S3E2 is an issue, and the repeat next Wed. now suggests it's just a typo.
Old 2017-09-28 , 10:15

Tonight's premiere is still reflecting as being E2 instead of E18.

If not fixed in time - this season returning from a break was widely advertised in the DStv Newsletter, so likely to confuse quite a few. At worst some may think the season had ended and so react inappropriately.
Fortunately they're self contained episodes in no particular order, but that's hardly the point.

A last criticism from me (having made the best "noise" I can for ages I now no longer desire to report much more or with an opinion);
A good QA system will surely know, and usually at least 2 weeks in advance, that E2 is not on the cards at this later stage...

However, IMO this team has come a long way. Thanks
Old 2017-09-28 , 10:21
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Hello

We have escalated your query to Discovery. This kind of issue would generally not form part of QA as it is common for channels to repeat an episode instead of airing a new one. Currently the next new episode is scheduled for next week, but we have asked Discovery to confirm this.
Old 2017-09-28 , 10:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Trisan View Post
This kind of issue would generally not form part of QA as it is common for channels to repeat an episode instead of airing a new one.
Live and learn... understood as I must admit that I've seen channels do that as well

Appreciate the feedback.
Old 2017-09-28 , 16:32

Quote:
Currently the next new episode is scheduled for next week, but we have asked Discovery to confirm this.
Hi Trisan,

I'm presuming that it will now either change during the 19:00 EPG update, or it's been confirmed as ok.

If the latter, further examination says that can't be - you'll find that yes, E18 is already scheduled for next week, but only for repeat slots on Wed. @ 22:00 and Thurs. @ 01:30.
And the episode after it, E19, is already scheduled for the next premiere slot which is of course next Thurs. @ 20:00.

I'll be recording tonight's slot regardless, and will post an epilogue if still needed.
Old 2017-09-28 , 16:47

Hello
Discovery has responded: Episode 18 had to be removed from the 20:00 slot due to the content being unsuitable for broadcast during prime time. Hence episode 18 is only premiering in the late night slot next week. The 22:00 repeat slot is always a repeat of the previous week's episode.
Old 2017-09-28 , 16:52

Perfect, I suppose, thanks for getting the detail.

If anyone at MC would like volunteers to go on a witch hunt of these crazy draconian age-restriction-authority types, let us know
(Or by all means let them see this and other similar comments.)
Old 2017-09-28 , 17:29

:-)
Well in cases like these, most people would let their kids watch the show if it was in its usual timeslot, assuming episode 18 was like the previous episodes. Moving it out to the later timeslot signals there's something different about this episode.
Old 2017-09-30 , 08:11

Quote:
Well in cases like these, most people would let their kids watch the show if it was in its usual timeslot...
Somewhat off topic now but I feel I must come back and disagree, this issue needs to be challenged at every turn as it's unnecessary attempted control IMHO and affecting too many others who are without children.

There are many responsible parents who would have the age restriction set on the decoder, and the on-screen warnings about such content are so overdone these days that nobody can miss them.
On the whole the sensitive content is largely available on personal recordings made or CU at any time anyway, and what decisions basically responsible parents make iro this care for their children in their own homes is nobody's business.

Maybe what MC could do to help overcome this authority's supposed watershed period "need" is pre-set new decoders with a 16 or 18 age limit, with clear instructions on how to release that on top of the pile of documents. Then maybe this nonsense can go away in a few years time...

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-09-30 at 08:56. . Reason: Detail