Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > General > General > DSTV Footprint in Africa - Eutelsat 36A

Old 2014-03-13 , 23:13
Still listens to the wireless

Default DSTV Footprint in Africa - Eutelsat 36A

Hi,

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but i have a few questions Id like some techies to advise me on...

Correct me if im wrong, but South Africa has its own exclusive satellite for DSTV (SABC channels version). on KU BAND Eutelsat 36B ?

The rest of Sub Saharan Africa picks up on the same Eutelsat 36B on 90cm dish but with a different subscription? to avoid the SABC channels issue.

They also apparently broadcast full DSTV on the 36A Satellite ...

Now my question relates to the Eutelsat 36A satellite. As per various news reports, DSTV is now also broadcasting on Eutelsat 36A READ HERE.
According to the Eutelsat website, the 36A satellite footprint covers most of Sub Saharan Africa, as well as a small portion of Morocco and part of Portugal. Eutelsat 36A footprint

Does this in theory mean that, should you subscribe to DSTV with a 90cm dish, within this footprint, facing the 36A Satellite (Ku Band African Beam), we should be able to pick up full DSTV in Morocco/Portugal without any issues ? Including the Supersport HD channels?
Or have i got it all wrong ?

Any help will be appreciated
Thanks
Old 2014-03-14 , 07:06
MultiChoice

Default DSTV Footprint in Africa - Eutelsat 36A

The short answer to your question is no. MultiChoice South Africa uses an Intelsat satellite, IS20. This is for the DStv service in South Africa. MultiChoice Africa uses a Eutelsat satellite E36B. Our South Africa and Africa offerings are slightly different. The size of the dish is not relevant.

I will leave it up to our more technically-minded forumites to discuss the details for further clarification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2014-03-14 , 07:51
Changes remote batteries hourly

The publishers of the article you read are misinformed or it's just a typo, E36A is not involved.

Only IS20 and E36B are used by MultiChoice S.A. (IS20 only) and their counterpart MultiChoice Africa.

SABC etc. do not have any influence or direct involvement in this, that is another issue you're referring to which relates to the satellite they use via the local signal distributor Sentech. However as you likely know their services are also available on DStv S.A.

IS20 covers all of Southern Africa services including Malawi but excluding Mozambique.

E36B covers the rest of Africa where services are offered, including as far east as Mauritius and other islands.

None of the other countries' services have any relevance to South Africans, almost each country has its own unique packages as there are different options available for different areas such as M-Net West and M-Net East for west and east African countries as well as some variations in some of the sports channels offered, and some specific to the region channels (like our SABC) which are different for each country.
This mostly relates to rights issues and language or popular preferred content for each region / country.

As a matter of technical interest, a smartcard and its decoder for any IS20 services cannot ever be sold and then used in any E36B country, or visa versa, the two satellites' smartcards although similar are not interchangeable.

As far as essential channels go there is little difference, in other words nothing of general importance missing from the S.A. services on offer.

Last edited by Optimist; 2014-03-14 at 09:07. . Reason: Tidying up
Old 2014-03-14 , 10:34

Thank you Optimist and Marietjie

To be honest, i was actually looking at setting up in Morocco (im a Super Rugby/Currie Cup / SA Cricket fan) and not sure about the Sky UK offerings and footprint there.

I see the furthest North DSTV markets to, is Nouakchott in Mauritania which is about 2000km south from say Casablanca. Will the footprint not stretch as far as Morocco slightly North with a bigger dish ? (on the Eutelsat 36B)

Thanks in advance.
Old 2014-03-14 , 10:39

It is possible if you're close enough to the edge, and can be checked with the right equipment before commiting yourself to such a plan further.

Your bigger problem will be with the actual subscription - you'll need to have a permanent residential address you can offer in one of the northern African countries and set up an account there, unless MC Marietjie is aware of any other possibilities.

If you're South African in origin that won't help you at all with this.
Old 2014-03-14 , 10:44
MultiChoice

We don't offer DStv in Morocco at all, so sorry you are out of luck. Regardless of what size dish you use, you will not be able to get the DStv service there.

Remember, in order to broadcast in a specific country you need the proper regulatory approvals. That means that there are active measures taken to prevent overspill of signal into a country for which we do not have a licence to operate. That is part of the agreement with our content suppliers too as they only clear content rights for specific territory and will not want their content to inadvertently be available in a neighbouring country.
Old 2014-03-14 , 11:03

Thank you Marietjie
I was aware of the legal issues and i understand Multichoice's view on my question

@Optimist
Most of the reports , incl Eutelsats own website have suggested that Multichoice has activated 2 transponders in March 2013 and May 2013, on the E36A.

Why would they do this, if they did not intend broadcasting on it ? Just does not make sense.
Old 2014-03-14 , 11:08

Sorry, that goes beyond my knowledge if it is in fact so. I do know that feeds between suppliers are continuously being set up and changed so maybe it's then about that.

I think Sky etc. is your best bet to research further.
Old 2014-03-14 , 11:11
MultiChoice

I know our Africa business added a significant number of channels last year - they probably just wanted to get more capacity. Remember these satellites sit in different places in the sky and service different areas - the E36 satellites are all focused outside of South Africa, which is why we use the Intelsat satellites.

I am not sure of the country expansion plans for our Africa business (this forum is only focussed on South Africa), so cannot comment on whether they plan to expand into Morocco. If they do, I am sure you will see the news in Morocco.

Please note that we cannot encourage or even give you a platform to illegally try and obtain a service in a country that we do not currently operate in. So please be sensitive in your enquiries here, else I will have to delete it. Remember, we have a duty as part of our broadcast license to prevent piracy and related illegal activities - and we are held accountable if you use one of our platforms to obtain information in this regard.

In fact, someone who told one of our Facebook customers on our Facebook page that she can send them pirated copies of series, is currently in jail. These kind of things are taken very seriously.
Old 2014-03-14 , 11:23

Understood ...

Perhaps Multichoice should explore the option of agreements in those countries further north of the sahara, as i understand, there is no quality English content there yet, and there is a growing demand for English in those territories. (SKY being the only other alternative, but with a huge dish)

As far as im aware, in that particular country, there are no local channels that have the same content Except maybe UEFA, so there should not be too may rights issues.

I am sure it will be viable for Multichoice to cover ALL of Africa and not just Sub Sahara.

thank you anyway ..