Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > DStv Products > HD PVR > What gives with the HD Output function??
Old 2014-04-27 , 15:30
Changes remote batteries hourly

Question What gives with the HD Output function??

On the 2U;
Menu \ Advanced Options \ 9949 \ Equipment Set-up \ High Definition Output (HDMI)

Last I heard a good while ago all DStv HD channels were broadcast in 720p with just 180 Discovery HD Showcase being the exception using 1080i. Yet using this setting's "Original" option always outputs 1080i.
Can MC confirm what uses what?

IF the "Original" option works at all then how come even the SD channels which can only ever be as high as 576p still output on 1080i with this setting?
Also, why does this particular setting in my experience confuse the software's ARC setting when I start watching a recording, rewind, etc. - it stays on ARC 1 but changes its effect to the same as ARC 4 (so therefore I probably won't try use it again even if it is determined to be working correctly as far as HD output goes)?

Why sometimes when I try to adjust this setting my screen goes blank when viewed on RF, not always recoverable and so requiring (at the least?) a standby / on toggle?

Does the "Native" option work at all? Doesn't look like it to me, all HD TVs I've checked result in 1080i output (but I haven't checked a lot of them).

Has there been an improvement made to HD transmissions in the last few months? I'm not including DVB-S2 changes in this question as even the remaining old DVB-S HD channels (101 and 212) appear markedly improved to view now using 1080i instead of 720p, unlike before.
I've heard in the past from someone who watches HD in the UK sometimes, that the "version" there is far superior to DStv's, I hope this has then been improved...

Last edited by Optimist; 2014-04-28 at 09:05. . Reason: Off topic item removed / tidy up
Old 2014-04-28 , 10:25
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
.......I've heard in the past from someone who watches HD in the UK sometimes, that the "version" there is far superior to DStv's, I hope this has then been improved.......
Yip, Brian; that would be me

I used to bang on about the difference in the picture quality of HD here, compared with the UK.

Two things I noticed in the past:-

1) The HD picture in South Africa simply did not appear as "crisp and sharp" (resolute) as similar, or in some cases identical content when viewed in the UK, using equivalent equipment. This was my "perception" as a very frequent viewer in both SA and the UK; but I had no technical backup to support my perception. I have precious little knowledge of broadcast standards or technology.

2) With fast moving action shots, specifically "panning" shots with football, there were clearly visible, on-screen artefacts, which were discussed in this, and other threads. I was able to frequently photograph "evidence" in support of this claim.

http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=14089

Take a note in particular of the screen shots in post #4 which were typical and clearly demonstrated the problem .

http://forum.dstv.com/showpost.php?p=118391&postcount=4

I put these annoying artefacts down to the signal compression used somewhere between the Sky Sport source and my TV.

OK, so now, since the various upgrades put in place by MC over the last year or so, I can categorically state that there is no longer any evidence of either of the above conditions.

The HD quality here in SA is every bit as good as I perceive it to be in the UK.

None of my equipment either here or in the UK has changed, except that I have an Explora in addition to my 2P and the UEC and the Explora appears to produce exceptionally good picture quality on all channels (HD and SD). I have not done a side-to-side test of the Explora vs. the older HD PVRs, but I'd expect it to be the best of the bunch, simply because it employs several years' more recent technology.

Cheers, K.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2014-04-28 at 10:49. . Reason: bit of detail added
Old 2014-04-28 , 11:10
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
On the 2U;
Menu \ Advanced Options \ 9949 \ Equipment Set-up \ High Definition Output (HDMI)

Last I heard a good while ago all DStv HD channels were broadcast in 720p with just 180 Discovery HD Showcase being the exception using 1080i. Yet using this setting's "Original" option always outputs 1080i.
Can MC confirm what uses what?
Brian there is post from MC Maritjie on this where more stuff is broadcast in 1080i except sport in 720p (Fast action better in progressive scan). You will need to search for that thread.

Quote:

IF the "Original" option works at all then how come even the SD channels which can only ever be as high as 576p still output on 1080i with this setting?
Also, why does this particular setting in my experience confuse the software's ARC setting when I start watching a recording, rewind, etc. - it stays on ARC 1 but changes its effect to the same as ARC 4 (so therefore I probably won't try use it again even if it is determined to be working correctly as far as HD output goes)?

Why sometimes when I try to adjust this setting my screen goes blank when viewed on RF, not always recoverable and so requiring (at the least?) a standby / on toggle?

Does the "Native" option work at all? Doesn't look like it to me, all HD TVs I've checked result in 1080i output (but I haven't checked a lot of them).

Has there been an improvement made to HD transmissions in the last few months? I'm not including DVB-S2 changes in this question as even the remaining old DVB-S HD channels (101 and 212) appear markedly improved to view now using 1080i instead of 720p, unlike before.
I've heard in the past from someone who watches HD in the UK sometimes, that the "version" there is far superior to DStv's, I hope this has then been improved...
The Native/Original menu settings has been a question since the HDPVR came out and don't think this was ever resolved. The Explora dropped that part of the concept.

As for RF loss, the decoder is changing mode but also down/up conversion, so it probably happening a higher layer in the stack the RF output.
Old 2014-04-28 , 11:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post
OK, so now, since the various upgrades put in place by MC over the last year or so, I can categorically state that there is no longer any evidence of either of the above conditions.

The HD quality here in SA is every bit as good as I perceive it to be in the UK.
Great Keith, then both of our "old" eyes are seeing the same thing these days , a distinct improvement re any artifacts with fast movement. I'm certainly now also a confirmed happy chappie in this regard.

But as for the rest of these concerns, as much as quality upscaling has its good uses (which I've always advocated) I still want the functions offered on my decoder to work properly so I can decide what the best viewing options are.
I think by now it's known that some of us are not fans of over-automation, could write a book about why not.

It's good to know that MC do regularly move forward with some positive change, my biggest disappointments usually relate to their priorities.
Old 2014-04-28 , 11:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
Brian there is post from MC Maritjie on this where more stuff is broadcast in 1080i except sport in 720p (Fast action better in progressive scan). You will need to search for that thread.
Thanks G, I do remember what has been posted, not quite remembering it the same as you though. Would either like the specific detail or for the functionality to work properly so I can see for myself, very reasonable request IMO.

Quote:
The Native/Original menu settings has been a question since the HDPVR came out and don't think this was ever resolved. The Explora dropped that part of the concept.
Says much... over-automation again

Quote:
As for RF loss, the decoder is changing mode but also down/up conversion, so it probably happening a higher layer in the stack the RF output.
I removed that point from my original post this morning, too off topic so best for another day.
Old 2014-04-28 , 21:55

Won't go into details but after saving such an HD option change if one doesn't exit conventionally one ends up on 576p...

Priorities
And I finally know what mine are.