Forum > Content > General > Replacing ANN7
Old 2018-02-11 , 09:11
Changes remote batteries hourly

Lightbulb Replacing ANN7

I'm not sure if I recall correctly, think something was said about the possibility of another business interest buying up the troublesome ANN7 channel by August (when it stops on DStv) and then re-branding it?

I suppose that makes sense, if it's a sensible business doing so...

Personally I'm wondering what else could fill the gap, or perhaps need adding.

I know some like Fox News, that's their right but not something I would like to see as they seem more biased than most.

IMO the Japanese (in English) channel "NHK" would be good variety with an interesting tech and cultural edge. I asked for it years ago, it is (or was) in more northern Africa, but it may be another case of being more expensive for Naspers to get it supplied in S.A.

Any other ideas?
Old 2018-02-11 , 09:19
Technical Myriad

ANN7 was sold to a BEE front by the GUPTAS already.

The attempt failed to fool anyone. It does not matter what they do, the channel is doomed in whatever form it takes.

Better to just kill it off.,
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.
Old 2018-02-11 , 09:47

Agreed Geoff, even a legit sale wouldn't be believed by too many anyway.

Further thoughts;
What was that U.S. news channel that Sky used to cross to early in the morning, was it ABC?

EuroNews was good (and could offer many languages), although repetitive and perhaps a bit narrow, and MC decided to cut them loose so I can't see them bringing it back.

I've quite liked "France24" (also English) when I've been able to get it in the past.
Old 2018-02-11 , 10:44
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Agreed Geoff, even a legit sale wouldn't be believed by too many anyway.

Further thoughts;
What was that U.S. news channel that Sky used to cross to early in the morning, was it ABC?

EuroNews was good (and could offer many languages), although repetitive and perhaps a bit narrow, and MC decided to cut them loose so I can't see them bringing it back.

I've quite liked "France24" (also English) when I've been able to get it in the past.
It was CBS that sky news crosses over. I would really like fox news it will be a very nice alternative to CNN

Explora
Old 2018-02-11 , 11:08

Ok, to help form opinions here's the links for our possibly workable ideas so far (may get updated);

Japan - NHK World in English: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/

USA - Fox News: http://www.foxnews.com/

USA - CBS: https://www.cbsnews.com/

France - France24 in English: http://www.france24.com/en/

As usual, we're a small and largely specific type of subscriber "group" so unlikely to have much influence, but who knows...
Old 2018-02-11 , 13:13
4K, baby!

MC is adamant to replace it with a new "black-owned" news channel. They are even putting out a tender for it which I find worrying - is part of the whole issue not that people are unhappy with MC paying large amounts of money to these local news channels? To me this just seems like more of the same.

http://teeveetee.blogspot.co.za/2018...roversial.html
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2018-02-11 , 13:43

Still a volatile subject then

I'm not going to read the article, have found him too off-track at times through the years.

Have to wonder if it's part of their bigger BEE plans. But other expansion or at least stability really needs to be kept going as well, else it looks to me like they're gambling with a large chunk of their subscriber base and destined to later lose quite a bit there...

My last point - I'm sure there's many "Blacks" in senior positions in these international news stations...

EDIT: eNews etc. are "black-owned" - see Where We Come From - eMedia Holdings
and what else could you really call SABC, so how about something else please.

Last edited by Optimist; 2018-02-11 at 13:59. .
Old 2018-02-11 , 14:39
4K, baby!

From my understanding the whole ANN7 thing started before we had SABC News - only eNews existed and MC wanted to offer an "alternative viewpoint" to that offered by eNews.

I also read somewhere that, at one stage, there was talk of eNews being pulled off DSTV by the owners while price negotiations weren't going well - so MC also wanted to make sure they have a backup local news station - should this ever happen.

Despite eNews being the most popular news channel on DSTV, the above mentioned article created the opinion that MC were not happy with either the owners or the dominance of the channel.
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2018-02-11 , 15:33
Changes remote batteries daily

ANN7 was a mistake anyway from the start in many ways, why repeat bad history MC with even less reason to?

who remembers this long thread of teething problems that never ended, even the Mods were laughing with us
405 Africa News Network 7 launching tomorrow
Old 2018-02-11 , 17:32
Still listens to the wireless

If there are no links of bribery and Gupta influence, I find it worrying that MC is using popular opinion to dump ANN7. Truth is that most of us did not like what they had to say and how hey said it, but since when did that become a good enough reason to cancel an agreement with a business?

There are **** loads of TV shows I donít care for. Some which I downright hate but they keep coming back. I donít care much for many channels. For example I happen to think that E Entertainment is a cancer that encourages mindlessness amongst young girls, but that does mean I want them gagged.

If MC can do this to ANN7 who else are they gonna do it later? What if itís me? Or someone that you know and care for? The saddest thing for me is that there are so many voices in chorus with this ludicrous decision. Jobs aside, this is setting a terrible example for a democratic country.

For me the reference of Ďblackí in who will next get the contract is a smoke screen. A distasteful attempt to buy favor for what MC knows is a bad step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk