Forum > Decoders > Installation > Smart LNB + HD PVR 2P SatCr ?
Old 2018-02-07 , 14:20
Technical Myriad

Those values are really very bad! As optimist says, I am surprised the Explora is working at all.

I can send you the recipe for trying this yourself, BUT you have paid the installer to do the job and he has not!

If you want the process, send me a PM and your coordinates and I will calculate the angles for you.
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.
Old 2018-02-07 , 20:59
Still gets up to change channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
What size antenna do you have?
It's a 105 cm dish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
That's terrible values, I'm surprised your install is working at all !!
If he's MC accredited, please post the company name or send a PM to MC Field Services so he can be re-trained!

You need to check both polarities, so use both of these channels for testing;
405 (We'll change this sometime, it's the dreaded ANN7 )
I don't want to get the installer in trouble or anything. At the end of the day unfortunately it seems that most installers do the bare minimum to get it working and then clock off.

I checked the signals on channels 262 and 405 as you suggested:

Channel 262:
Tuner 1 (Strength/Quality) - 48% / 45%
Tuner 3 (Strength/Quality) - 70% / 53%

Channel 405:
Tuner 1 (Strength/Quality) - 48% / 53%
Tuner 3 (Strength/Quality) - 70% / 53%
Old 2018-02-07 , 21:00

Quote:
Those values are really very bad! As optimist says, I am surprised the Explora is working at all.

I can send you the recipe for trying this yourself, BUT you have paid the installer to do the job and he has not!

If you want the process, send me a PM and your coordinates and I will calculate the angles for you.
I've decided to give the installer agency a call and ask them to come back and check the signal.

It must be said that the distance from the SLNB to my decoder is very long (around 30 meters I'd say) and it has a join about halfway between. The join is from where the DSTV Switch used to sit. I asked the installer if he shouldn't just lay a brand new single cable but he insisted that the join wouldn't be an issue.
Old 2018-02-07 , 21:23
Changes remote batteries hourly

Something doesn't sound right at all with this situation, I'll be leaving it at that.
Old 2018-02-07 , 21:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Something doesn't sound right at all with this situation, I'll be leaving it at that.
Not sure what you mean by that. They are an accredited Multichoice/DSTV agency by the way. Unfortunately the installer just didn't seem to take enough effort when aligning the dish.

I did a SD PVR trade-in and got the Smart LNB + installation with it. I already had an Explora 1 with the 105 cm dish (well the installer told me it was 105 cm when he saw it). Since the existing dish was bigger the installer left it on and only installed the Smart LNB. He also didn't re-run a new cable all the way since, like I said, the existing cables from the twin LNB were already there. I also did not actually use the Explora 2 from the trade-in since I'll be keeping it for my other place.
Old 2018-02-07 , 22:01
Technical Myriad

A join is not a problem if done using a barrel connector and two cable connectors. It is not ideal especially over longer distances. Easily proved by measuring the values at the antenna and the values at the decoder and comparing them.. What is also important is to check the supply voltage at the SLNB. SLNBs draw a fair amount of power. There is a thread somewhere under this section from MC field services where he mentions the max distances recommended.

Most of the time, the issue is related to poor skew angle adjustments.
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.

Last edited by Geoff D; 2018-02-07 at 22:05. .
Old 2018-02-07 , 22:06

Quote:
A join is not a problem if done using a barrel connector and two cable connectors. It is not ideal especially over longer distances. Easily proved by measuring the values at the antenna and the values at the decoder and comparing them..
Yup, the installer used 2 barrel connectors. I'll just get him back to come and check the alignment properly this time.

Last edited by R-P-H; 2018-02-07 at 22:08. .
Old 2018-02-09 , 20:18
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

just to add on the lnb there is markings,from 0 to 40 degrees.move the lnb until you have it around 50 degrees. the lnb will be around 4 o clock position. your skew than should be fine. your lnb is not aligned correctly.