Forum > Decoders > Installation > Smart LNB + HD PVR 2P SatCr ?
Old 2018-02-06 , 19:13
Still gets up to change channels

Question Smart LNB + HD PVR 2P SatCr ?

Hi,

I recently fitted a Smart LNB LMX501. One unicable output is feeding my primary Explora 1 and another unicable output is feeding my HD PVR 2P. I have changed the userbands on the Explora 1 to 3,4,5 so as not to conflict with the HD PVR 2P which is on the default 0,1. I have set the installation type under Network Settings on the HD PVR 2P to "SatCr". Everything is working fine, but I have 2 questions:

1) On the HD PVR 2P, what is the difference between the installation types "SatCR" and "SatCR Univ" ? Which should it be set on ?

2) When the HD PVR 2P reboots, due to lets say a power outage, it defaults back to installation type "Univ" and I have to manually change it back to "SatCR" to get my signal back. Is this normal ? How can I get it to stay on "SatCR" after a reboot ?

Thanks
Old 2018-02-06 , 22:29
Technical Myriad

At the moment it is probably best to set it to SATCR Standard, as MC has not implemented full HI -band reception yet.

The difference is Standard will only select Lo-band transponders, whereas Universal will allow the selection of Lo-band and Hi-band.

With a LMX 501 it should not make a difference I don't think which one you select.

When you make the change, you MUST return to the home network and save the settings. THEN reboot the decoder, and check that the setting is now correct. If not repeat the process.
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.
Old 2018-02-06 , 22:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
At the moment it is probably best to set it to SATCR Standard, as MC has not implemented full HI -band reception yet.

The difference is Standard will only select Lo-band transponders, whereas Universal will allow the selection of Lo-band and Hi-band.

With a LMX 501 it should not make a difference I don't think which one you select.

When you make the change, you MUST return to the home network and save the settings. THEN reboot the decoder, and check that the setting is now correct. If not repeat the process.
Thanks, I checked again and it seems to retain the network settings now.

Does it matter which unicable ports on the Smart LNB the decoders are connected to ?
Old 2018-02-06 , 22:57
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-P-H View Post
Thanks, I checked again and it seems to retain the network settings now.

Does it matter which unicable ports on the Smart LNB the decoders are connected to ?

No it does not. I would though try and connect the Primary decoder to the first Unicable port A, as there is some evidence to suggest that this port is always given preference when there are issues with signal reception ... Not confirmed if it is true .
Old 2018-02-07 , 09:24
Changes remote batteries daily

My setup is similar to that of R-H-P. An Explora 2 and HD PVR 2P and SLNB 501. I have been using the Satcr univ setting for almost a year now without any signal problems.
What is different though us that I am still using 11700 as the LNB switch frequency which was a leftover of when I had problems receiving channels 110,116 etc when I still had a Satcr lnb setup before switching to the Explora 2 and SLNB

See my screenshot

A quick tip when you change Network settings use the yellow button on the remote control to exit the settings menu. This will automatically save your changes and do a rescan of all available networks without the need to reboot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HD PVR 2P Settings.jpg (692.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 2018-02-07 , 12:11

Thanks for the info, I will leave it set on SatCR for now as Geoff suggested and post back if I notice any channels missing.

What is interesting is that the installer told me that everytime the decoder reboots it will default back to "Univ", so he wanted to use the universal port on the SLNB and leave the setting as "Univ" on the decoder. Lucky enough I had done my research and insisted that he use the unicable port with SatCR instead.

The only problem I still have is that I feel like the signal quality/strength on the Explora 1 is very poor even after the installer supposedly 're-alligned' the dish. What would normal signal strengths/qualities be for tuners 1-3 ? I don't know if I should call him back to align it again.
Old 2018-02-07 , 12:29
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-P-H View Post
Thanks for the info, I will leave it set on SatCR for now as Geoff suggested and post back if I notice any channels missing.

What is interesting is that the installer told me that everytime the decoder reboots it will default back to "Univ", so he wanted to use the universal port on the SLNB and leave the setting as "Univ" on the decoder. Lucky enough I had done my research and insisted that he use the unicable port with SatCR instead.

The only problem I still have is that I feel like the signal quality/strength on the Explora 1 is very poor even after the installer supposedly 're-alligned' the dish. What would normal signal strengths/qualities be for tuners 1-3 ? I don't know if I should call him back to align it again.
The HD PVR 2P cannot work when connected to a single universal port so, the installer is wrong there. The problem is to get the decoder to save the new settings. it has alwys been a bit of hit and miss. So SATCR Universal should work and so should SATCR standard. Normal Universal will not work fro this decoder.

Jan says that if you press the yellow button to do a rescan, this will save the current settings , thus saving a reboot.

The other way is to return to the home network save the settings and reboot.

Yes the quality values with a SLNB and an Explora 2 should be certainly above 95% and signal strength can be got to 100%, but it takes quite a bit of effort on the part of an installer. What size antenna do you have?

I would get the installer back to improve matters. Jan gets much better figures than that I think and he is for ever moving a decoder around on camping trips
Old 2018-02-07 , 13:33
Changes remote batteries daily

Yes with the aid of Geoff's dish alignment guide lines and a digital Sat finder I get 100% signal quality and signal strength on all channels on my 80cm dish. On my 60cm Caravan dish I manage around 90% signal quality and 100 signal strength on the Explora 2A
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Caravan Dish.jpg (869.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 2018-02-07 , 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
The HD PVR 2P cannot work when connected to a single universal port so, the installer is wrong there. The problem is to get the decoder to save the new settings. it has alwys been a bit of hit and miss. So SATCR Universal should work and so should SATCR standard. Normal Universal will not work fro this decoder.
I think he was just going to leave it with only Tuner 1 working (i.e. no TV Guide or extended EPG info and I could only record the same channel I'm watching).

I have attached screenshots of all my tuner's signals. Do you think it warrants calling the installer back ? I feel like he didn't put enough effort into getting anywhere near the best possible signals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Explora 1 - Tuner 1.jpg (336.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Explora 1 - Tuner 2.jpg (212.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Explora 1 - Tuner 3.jpg (216.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg HD PVR 2P - Tuner 1.jpg (118.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg HD PVR 2P - Tuner 2.jpg (123.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 2018-02-07 , 14:11
Changes remote batteries hourly

That's terrible values, I'm surprised your install is working at all !!
If he's MC accredited, please post the company name or send a PM to MC Field Services so he can be re-trained!

For your Explora you can get away with the following (ignore tuner 2, it's only accurate during recordings);
Signal Strength around 70%+ on tuner 3, around 80%+ on tuner 1 (and 2).
Signal Quality around 90%+ on all tuners.

You need to check both polarities, so use both of these channels for testing tuner 1 (and 2);

Last edited by Optimist; 2018-02-08 at 12:29. . Reason: Better detail, and Horizontal testing channel since changed