Forum > Content > General > Oscars popup channel - 109.
Old 2018-01-26 , 19:57
Knows how to use a remote

Default Oscars popup channel - 109.

The first pop-up channel of 2018 on MultiChoice's DStv satellite pay-TV platform will be the M-Net Movies Oscars pop up channel that will run from 1 to 28 February for DStv Premium subscribers.

The Oscars pop-up channel packaged by M-Net for DStv will run on DStv channel 109 and will show multiple Oscar-winning films leading up to the 90th Academy Awards taking place at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood on Monday 5 March.

M-Net Movies will show 6 films every day on the channel from around 12:00 to just after midnight, with the film collection that include 115 Academy Award winning films, 757 Oscar nominations and 306 golden statuettes.

Films on the M-Net Movies Oscars pop up channel will range from classics like Gone with the Wind and the original 1959 Ben Hur to 2017's Best Picture winner Moonlight and last year's Best Animated Feature Zootropolis.

Films will feature big Oscar winners beloved by the Academy ranging from Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks to Denzel Washington, Cate Blanchett, Leonardo DiCaprio and South Africa's Charlize Theron.

On weekends the M-Net Movies Oscars channel will show films according to the following thematic categories:

Saturday 3 February Most Nominations and Most Wins
Sunday 4 February Most nominations, Most Wins and Best Animation films
Saturday 10 February Best Director
Sunday 11 February Best Supporting Actress
Saturday 17 February Best Supporting Actor
Sunday 18 February Best Actor
Saturday 24 February Best Actress
Sunday 25 February Best Picture

The 90th Academy Awards will broadcast live on M-Net Movies Premiere (DStv 104) at 03:30 on Monday 5 March and again on M-Net (DStv 101) 101 on the same day at 21:30, after which it will also be made available on DStv Catch Up
Old 2018-01-27 , 12:30
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Sounds great. Except the recent pop up channel of "100 best movies of all time" was unwatchable because of the huge logos plastered all over the corners of the screen. I have no doubt Mnet will ruin this one as well and make it equally unwatchable.

Can someone please tell me what goes through the mind of the people who design and implement these horrors?

I'm sure you can't, but if you agree with me please add your voice here and perhaps Mnet will see sense.
Old 2018-01-28 , 07:27
Knows how to use a remote

I've always hated the big logos, and its been said many times. MNet never listens!
Old 2018-01-28 , 08:20
Changes remote batteries hourly

It's something stranger than that, 'cos they do actually listen...

Some won't know that for instance years ago thanks to Forumite efforts they undertook a survey, discovered most viewers didn't like bling-logos and other clutter, and they listened.
We've had other "successes" as well, like the efforts some here made 6 months ago re the odd half-hour scheduling on a channel which resulted in it getting changed back.

It's like they have a meeting and decide that screen clutter or other issues are more accepted now with today's "more developed" online generation, or maybe new managers get hired who think they know all and want to impress.

Do yourselves a favour M-Group - set some policies and stick to them!
The reason you've always been liked in the past is the quiet, more humble way you got the job done which you did well, not about your commercially instigated image and strategy ideas. That's not true creativity.
And please look carefully at the Bucketlist channel thread again to ensure those issues are understood and planned for this time.

Perhaps the last time I'll bother...
But love the idea of this new pop-up channel, and here's hoping the magic continues well enough
Old 2018-01-28 , 15:49
Changes remote batteries hourly.

First and foremost the logo problem. I am totally against having a logo of any description on the screen. I KNOW what channel I'm watching so don't need to be reminded. Besides it's not the CHANNEL as such that I'm watching but the CONTENT. But if Mnet, or anyone else, feels the need to advertise their channel by placing a logo on the screen please do so in a manner that doesn't make the logo the focus point instead of the movie. It is for this very reason that I no longer watch TCM Channel. Last I looked they had the worst logo imaginable. LARGE!!!

So, please Mnet, please revisit your logos and do what needs to be done to make them less intrusive. I have done a survey amongst my family and friends and they all feel the same.

Then the second point is to say thank you for bringing these Oscar movies to us. The 100 movies bucket list really was a good initiative on your part. Hopefully these new movies will be the same. Looking forward to see what these movies will be but expecting that a large number will be what were shown in the 100 movies bucket list.
Old 2018-01-30 , 10:33
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Great channel idea, a pleasant surprise seeing it appear on my EPG. Thanks.

As with others, my anticipation is tempered somewhat by all the issues I had with the BucketList channel, from logos, to on-screen ads for the next movie, to severe cropping on some wide aspect ratio movies (and not others). It's a shame that these avoidable issues have to adversely affect our viewing, here's hoping some lessons were learned!
Old 2018-02-01 , 16:13

Please could content from Sunday onwards be added to the online guide.

Logo - no comment

Lack of a movies list posted on the forum - no comment
Old 2018-02-01 , 16:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
See mnet.tv/oscarspopup
Old 2018-02-01 , 16:29
4K, baby!

Quote:
Logo - no comment
Any larger and it would need it's own channel.
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2018-02-01 , 16:57

At least the "Oscars" part of the logo is light... but I'm just trying to be positive.

However...

Quote:
Please could content from Sunday onwards be added to the online guide.
Quote:
Quote:
Correction - even that link is largely useless as it only shows 23 of the movies, and nothing about their repeat structure.
EDIT: This is what they said about the link on the dstv.com's homepage-found article; "You can find the schedule on mnet.tv/oscarspopup"

With respect to those involved who deserve that consideration, I'm starting to think there's big problems with quite a few of the "management" at the M-Group. Very troubling.

Last edited by Optimist; 2018-02-01 at 17:28. . Reason: Clarity, tidy up