Forum > Value Added Services > DStv Catch Up > alphabetical order, The
Old 2018-01-22 , 10:58
Changes remote batteries hourly

Default alphabetical order, The

See how confusing my thread title is?

@MC, recently quite a few titles are getting the first word "The" placed at the end of the sentence.
Please stick to NOT doing this, it's always a problem with alphabetical searching. Thanks

Latest example - a CU+ title in the Shows section from 182 NatGeo Wild, it's been called "World's Most Famous Tiger, The".

Does anyone find some use for doing titles this way?
Old 2018-01-22 , 11:10
Changes remote batteries daily

I will probably just search for tiger
100/50 Fibre (OpenServe/AH Capped)
------------------------------------------
DSD1110 in holiday mode
DSTV Mobile via Drifta WiFi (S5& iPad)
Old 2018-01-22 , 11:10
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
it's always a problem with alphabetical searching.
Not doing it causes a bigger problem with alphabetical searching as anything beginning with "The" will get put under "T", and it can be difficult to find if you're not aware that the title actually has "The" in it e.g. it's actually "The Big Bang Theory", but I think most people would refer to it as "Big Bang Theory". Ignoring "The" (and "A" and "An") at the beginning of a title is standard practice when it comes to sorting title.

So there are two options to implement this. Either create a fancy sorting algorithm that sorts by what comes after the "The", or shift the "The" to the end of the title, and they've opted for the latter.

Last edited by Citanul; 2018-01-22 at 11:13. .
Old 2018-01-22 , 11:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke7777 View Post
I will probably just search for tiger
Yep, me too. Badly explained by me, I meant when we put the CU sections into alphabetical order mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citanul View Post
So there are two options to implement this. Either create a fancy sorting algorithm that sorts by what comes after the "The", or shift the "The" to the end of the title, and they've opted for the latter.
It is a possible problem with the CU+ movies which is a very long list, so I can understand that. The problem is it's not consistent, surely the whole service then needs to adopt it. It's also not being used in most such cases... (yet?)

Personally, happy to just manually search through all the titles starting with "The".
Old 2018-01-22 , 11:46
Changes remote batteries hourly.

For what it's worth I prefer the word "THE" to be at the end of the title. But not too fussed if it's not. Just as long as whatever is decided upon is carried through across all platforms.
Old 2018-01-22 , 18:51
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:

@MC, recently quite a few titles are getting the first word "The" placed at the end of the sentence.
Please stick to NOT doing this, it's always a problem with alphabetical searching. Thanks

Latest example - a CU+ title in the Shows section from 182 NatGeo Wild, it's been called "World's Most Famous Tiger, The".

This came from iTunes and was actually quite helpful. The Beatles came before Bee Gees because no one calls them The Beatles just Beatles.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 2018-01-23 , 08:01

Quote:

Morning Optimist,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We will forward your message to the Catch Up team for future considerations.

Regards
Kagiso
Old 2018-01-23 , 08:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Pamela View Post
Morning Optimist,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We will forward your message to the Catch Up team for future considerations.

Regards
Kagiso
As someone who grew up with an iPod, this actually makes sense to me and i hope this wont be changed. I rarely ever refer to any tv show (or song for that matter )"The bla bla bla", its always lets watch "bla bla bla"
Old 2018-01-23 , 10:34

On DStv the default has always been to put "The" first, and only 3 or 4 exceptions to this have been seen recently for the first time.
Your point which @Citanul also made makes sense, but it's a rare factor compared to alphabetical needs IMO.

As mentioned earlier by me & Beetle Bailey (with opposite views), we're happy either way if it's kept consistent.

I'll be away so done with my opinion.
Old 2018-01-23 , 19:56
MultiChoice

Hi All

Note that when deal and licenses are captured in Synergy, the title reflect “The” at the end. When we schedule, it’s a manual change to place "The" at the beginning. Currently, the mentioned title 'The World's Most Famous Tiger' has been rectified and re-queued.

@Optimist - are there any titles you'd like to share with us which have the same issue? The CU team is looking into this as raised.