Forum > Customer service > Customer service > #BlackFriday Specials
Old 2017-11-21 , 15:08
Still gets up to change channels

what about existing subscribers. No discounts on fees or upgrades?
Old 2017-11-21 , 15:11
MultiChoice

Hi, the deals are all on hardware, so none on subscription. But they are open to both new and existing customers.
Old 2017-11-21 , 19:49

Am I able to purchase an Explora on its own using one of these specials, without activating it for a while?
And if I purchase the fully installed option, what LNB comes with that, and what is the recommended LNB for feeding to multiple tv's etc?
I assume if I want to feed more than one tv, I can use the installation voucher and then negotiate with the installer for a more advanced installation?
Old 2017-11-21 , 21:10
MultiChoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashprod View Post
Am I able to purchase an Explora on its own using one of these specials, without activating it for a while?
And if I purchase the fully installed option, what LNB comes with that, and what is the recommended LNB for feeding to multiple tv's etc?
I assume if I want to feed more than one tv, I can use the installation voucher and then negotiate with the installer for a more advanced installation?
Yes. Special is not linked to an activation date.

If you get a deal with installation it includes :
total of 25km travel
80cm dish
DStv Smart LNB
25m Cabling
Connection of the decoder to 1 TV
Activation of services optional

So yes, any additional work to be discussed with installer up front, and payment would need to be made directly to them when the installation takes place.

Any queries let us know - these are great deals!
Old 2017-11-21 , 21:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Swop out the SLNB with the LMX 500 my daughter has...?
Geoff, what smart LNB do they give the consumer, and what is the best smart LNB to acquire? Assuming feeding to around 4 tv's.
Is the one they give not optimum?
Is it better to take the "care contract" offer of a swap for a decoder and smart LNB (since the SD PVR is now broken and continuously rebooting, which cannot be called working) and then just purchase an Xplora on the BF deals, and pay for installation myself?
Also, what does a decent 80cm dish cost?

1 x Explora and SLNB swapped out under care contract trade in offer
1 x Explora purchased during BF

Pay for installation and dish.
Work out cheaper?
Old 2017-11-21 , 21:53
Changes remote batteries hourly

Geoff may not be around for the next half day or so, so here's some input from me in the meantime;

Quote:
Geoff, what smart LNB do they give the consumer, and what is the best smart LNB to acquire? Assuming feeding to around 4 tv's.
How many TV's does not directly affect what LNB to use, it may just influence how many decoders you decide to use.
The Smart LNB (SLNB) they give is the only one normally available from retail these days, and it's fine for use with all Explora and other decoder XtraView (XV) combination options available. (Except for the old technology SD PVR.)

Quote:
Is it better to take the "care contract" offer of a swap for a decoder and smart LNB (since the SD PVR is now broken and continuously rebooting, which cannot be called working) and then just purchase an Xplora on the BF deals, and pay for installation myself?
As far as we know MC are still only investigating this option with the insurance providers, no answer as to if it is possible has been given yet.

Quote:
Have a look at www.hdcabling.co.za
Old 2017-11-21 , 22:45
Technical Myriad

Quote:

1 x Explora and SLNB swapped out under care contract trade in offer
1 x Explora purchased during BF
A good option!

Pay for installation and dish.
Work out cheaper?
The SLNB you will get is the MC LMX 501. 3 Unicable ports and one universal port. There are I believe two different manufacturers for this SLNB.

The only other option would be to get a Quad or Quattro LNB and a MC 24-1Z Multiswitch. This combination is quite a bit more expensive than going for the SLNB though.

SLNB will allow you to connect 3 decoders to the unicable ports and one single view decoder to the universal port. MC only allows for 3 decoders under XV so this is probably the better option.

The second option with the 24-1Z MS will allow one to connect a UEC 4 tuner HD PVR together with 2 Explora decoders connected to the unicable ports.

There are no "decent 80 cm" antennas, --- they are all much of a muchness. Not very good technical quality regardless of who supplies it. In fact it turns out that technically, you may be better off with a 60 cm antenna in some cases. It is all about the f/D ratio and the accuracy regarding where the focal point is, which on the newer antennas is apparently not very good. I have not really taken much interest in the antennas, as I already have 3 x 1.2 m antennas at my place, old ones all in good condition.

If you have an old 90cm or larger antenna, hand on to it and use it if at all possible.

It seems crazy not to take up one of the SD PVR swop out offers. I am hoping to go to the local agency tomorrow to find out what a LMX501 SLNB costs and what a 24-1Z switch costs.

So your proposed plan makes the most sense swop out the SD PVR and buy a BF Explora 2 . That will give you view 2 and record 2. The closest you will get to replacing the functionality of the SD PVR.

Which swop option you choose is really up to you.
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.
Old 2017-11-22 , 10:13
Lurks quietly in the background, and changes remote batteries daily

Okay so here's the deal I do not need a 80cm dish as we have one (only 2 years old) What I do need is 2 explora's to swap for my SDPVR (to link up to my explora) so we have 3 viewing environments and someone to set it up - where can I find a deal like that?
Old 2017-11-22 , 11:00
MultiChoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesleyH View Post
Okay so here's the deal I do not need a 80cm dish as we have one (only 2 years old) What I do need is 2 explora's to swap for my SDPVR (to link up to my explora) so we have 3 viewing environments and someone to set it up - where can I find a deal like that?
A possible option :

Trade-in your SD PVR for one Explora (R799)
Buy another Explora on #BlackFriday (R899)

Get an installer out to connect them to your existing installation and to each other in XtraView.

(This assumes that you don't have insurance on your SD PVR and that you have the DStv Smart LNB on your 80cm dish)
Old 2017-11-22 , 14:58
Lurks quietly in the background, and changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Brenda View Post
A possible option :

Trade-in your SD PVR for one Explora (R799)
Buy another Explora on #BlackFriday (R899)

Get an installer out to connect them to your existing installation and to each other in XtraView.

(This assumes that you don't have insurance on your SD PVR and that you have the DStv Smart LNB on your 80cm dish)
Thanks Brenda just think its so unfair that the SDPVR viewers have to fork out so much money plus subscription I'm almost done with DSTV