Old 2015-01-18 , 16:57
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
......what we need is a value for an Explora reboot that includes a complete rescan......
Unlike the 2P, which offers a rescan, but gives the option of skipping it, the Explora does not require, ( or even offer ) a rescan as part of a regular reboot.

I forced a separate network reset from the System Setup menu which took 3 minutes 18 seconds. Cheers, K.
Old 2015-01-18 , 17:14
Technical Myriad

As soon as the cricket is over, I will trigger reboots on the UEC HD PVR, and report the times.

But if I remember correctly, the UEC does 2 rescans in 10 minutes. So the reboot on the UEC is then 5 minutes.
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.
Old 2015-01-18 , 18:07
Changes remote batteries daily

My pace 4 tuner takes 10 minutes with a reboot after the last update. Before the update it took about 4 minutes max. My explora takes less then 2 minutes. When I complained, I was told by Mc on the forum it is normal... When phoning the call centre trying to fix some of my issues, they reckon there is fault with my decoder. Mmm.. Two different answers. I feel it is time that Mc brings in a toll free number to their call centre, as it took almost 45 minutes on the phone to sort out an issue I had because I had to do a reboot as part of some test from the call centre's side
Old 2015-01-18 , 21:24
Technical Myriad

Default Reboot Times on UEC HD PVR 4T

Here are times I measured on my UEC HD PVR 4T, in response to the claim that the slow response is a justification to claim older decoders need to be replaced.

(1) Straight Rescan ( all networks) : 50 seconds
(2) A power down reboot:

Time to first return to live TV: 02:25
Request to perform a second rescan: 05:26
Time to display of E32-4: 06:33
Time to complete return to live TV: 08:05

Note it takes the decoder another 04:52 before the complete EPG is back.

This makes a total time of 12 minutes 57 seconds.

(3) A simple reboot where one deliberately cancels the second rescan request:

Full live TV returns after 03:35. Then the EPG takes another 04:52 seconds to display, making a total time of 08:27

I think it is now 100% clear, that the number of channels is NOT the driver of these long times BUT the latest software upgrade which introduced the second rescan and the new step of checking which footprint the decoder is operating in plus the authentication process.

A simple rescan takes no time at all, and a normal reboot avoiding all the nonsense is 03: 35, which is only marginally longer than the time reported by Sandtonman for the Explora.

So please Graeme, do not try and make claims you cannot justify with plain simple logic and proper testing.

Last edited by Geoff D; 2015-01-18 at 21:28. .
Old 2015-01-18 , 23:47
Changes remote batteries hourly

In future I'm just going to say "disprovable", can't be bothered with this endless derailing anymore.
Old 2015-01-19 , 09:35
Technical Myriad

As a final follow up on this thread from my side:

(1) I knew I was looking for trouble by fiddling with the UEC HD PVR 4T like this. I had to resort to switching OFF BOTH my decoders last night and leaving them off till this morning, after which I re-started the UEC ( Primary first) allowing it to go through the entire process by pressing [OK] when asked. It took, 12 - 13 minutes before everything was okay on the UEC. Then I started up the SD PVR and allowed it to complete its process, which was about 15 minutes, plus another 5 or so minutes for the return of the EPG, etc.

(2) All sorts of issues arose after the reboots, slow loading of menus, slow response to remote commands on both decoders, apparent EPG errors, missing items in my playlist, missing BO and CU content that I know was there before, and so on.

My advice remains:

(1) ALWAYS allow the decoders to go through the full process, DO NOT cancel any steps.
(2) AVOID doing any reboots for no real reason at all, ---- MC does enough of these on your behalf anyway.
(3) DO NOT be overly concerned about the length of time taken for a reboot --- there are minor differences between the decoders that are all within reasonable limits. The EXCEPTION is the SD PVR --- it does take a very long time these days (in comparison with the other decoders, AND, what we were used to in the past, BUT there is nothing we can do about it, so just live with it.

Lastly, it would be very interesting if someone could monitor and report back what actually happens during one of the Explora's so-called "maintenance reboots" at 03:00 in the morning. I am convinced, based on the reports in other threads, by @JeanP and @Elizabeth, that the Explora also goes through the same steps as the other decoders, MAYBE slightly faster.

The Explora will reboot, ask to do a rescan, complete that process, determine the "footprint" in which the decoder is operating, at which time you may or may not see an error message (E48-32), then authenticate your services, at which time you may or may not see (E32-4), return to live TV, after which another 4 - 5 minutes will pass before the EPG, schedule lists, BO, and CU may all be back.

As far as the flashing Blue light on the switch is concerned:

(1) The 5-1 switch WILL flash the blue LED Power light on the switch IF there is anything wrong with the power available to the switch.
(2) The 5-2 switch, WILL do the same, BUT it will also show a RED LED IF the power is not adequate.
(3) The 5-2 switch will "flicker" the Blue power LED when a rescan is in progress, but the flicker may be very rapid and only noticeable if you really look at the LED.

It is only the power issues (Blue LED flashing, or a RED LED) that should be of concern to anyone, as this will point to:

(a) A possible failure of the Explora PSU
(b) A possible failure of the PSU for the HD PVR 2U/2P, or any other decoder.
(c) A possible failure of an LNB port and/or and Explora switch
(d) A cabling issue.

The above order has no significance, probably the first to check is the last one.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Geoff D; 2015-01-19 at 10:12. .
Old 2015-01-19 , 10:10
4K, baby!

Quote:
..... it would be very interesting if someone could monitor and report back what actually happens during one of the Explora's so-called "maintenance reboots" at 03:00 in the morning. I am convinced, based on the reports in other threads ..... that the Explora also goes through the same steps as the other decoders, MAYBE slightly faster..........
Hi Geoff, I don't believe so. As I said yesterday, the Explora does not do a rescan on either a front panel (warm), or power cycle (cold) reboot. It's not even an option.

Of the 2-minutes that elapses, the first minute is a blank screen which is driving the HDMI input to black, for all but the first few seconds; the second minute is entirely a blue DSTV "splash" screen with the word "Loading" and 1-4 moving dots.

It then cuts straight to live TV without any hint of a network scan.

The daily 03:15 maintenance reboot appears to be exactly the same and also takes around the 2-minute mark (I'm frequently awake sometimes listening to the news and, if not awake, the click of the drive resetting sometimes wakes me, though I've not physically timed the reboot process).

When I forced a rescan yesterday, as noted above in this thread, it took considerably longer than a regular or maintenance reboot, being 3 minutes 18 seconds, just for the rescan.

So, it makes sense that a full boot cycle, plus a rescan would take around 5 1/2 minutes to complete. This is not the case on either a warm, cold, or maintenance reboot.

I'll gladly check further if your wish. Please let me know what you want to measure.

I'd be keen to see some timings and a boot-cycle description for the newly released non-PVR HD decoder, in this respect; it's likely to perform in a similar manner the Explora, IMHO. Anyone got one?

Cheers, K.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2015-01-19 at 10:26. . Reason: tisy up and add HD decoder
Old 2015-01-19 , 10:30
Technical Myriad

Thanks Keith,

Yes I agree, maybe a normal "maintenance reboot" is as you indicate. the same happens on the UEC HD PVR 4T.

Last night I had to power down the UEC to get it to "ask the rescan". I left it off for 30 minutes. Thereafter when I tried it again, I had to repeat the power down story before it would do it again. This morning the same happened as I had the decoders off for most of the night after 23:00.

So something else triggers the extended process. If the Explora ( or any other decoder) is behaving normally, is not powered down at any stage, does not suffer from load shedding, is left on, I am sure most of these issues do not arise.

It could be that some or other flag is set during the day, that determines what happens during the maintenance reboot.

Reboots for "hell of it" should be avoided.

In fact before last night, the last reboot I had was before XMAS which was the when MC implemented the holiday freeze, followed shortly after by one spell of load shedding.

MC have acknowledged that there have been issues with the scheduled BO and CU downloads over the holidays. I think there are some that are over reacting to missing episodes on CU etc. As we do not know exactly when downloads take place, just resetting the decoder and rebooting decoders, must be causing some or other disruption. There is now so much stuff scheduled for BO and CU that it would be impossible to do a reboot without interrupting a scheduled download in my opinion.
Old 2015-01-19 , 10:57
4K, baby!

Quote:
....... There is now so much stuff scheduled for BO and CU that it would be impossible to do a reboot without interrupting a scheduled download in my opinion.......
Strongly Agree, Geoff; there is a mass of stuff happening behind the scenes; particularly on the Explora! So it's definitely a bad thing to perform unnecessary reboots.

That said, I did not mention it, but I did 3 boots in a row this morning to try to induce some different response from the Explora, but no change; just as previously described in each case.

It's quite possible that some 3:15 maintenance boots are different, and include a MC triggered rescan; but if so, I've simply not been aware of this. I do sleep through sometimes
I will keep on monitoring.

Cheers, K.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2015-01-19 at 11:00. .
Old 2015-01-19 , 13:19
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post
Strongly Agree, Geoff; there is a mass of stuff happening behind the scenes; particularly on the Explora! So it's definitely a bad thing to perform unnecessary reboots.

That said, I did not mention it, but I did 3 boots in a row this morning to try to induce some different response from the Explora, but no change; just as previously described in each case.

It's quite possible that some 3:15 maintenance boots are different, and include a MC triggered rescan; but if so, I've simply not been aware of this. I do sleep through sometimes
I will keep on monitoring.

Cheers, K.
Keith

I have found on an unclean shutdown boot, the Explora can do a disk check and that can take a good few mins. i'm talking about pulling the plug out type unclean reboot, not a reboot by holding down the standby button

G