Forum > Value Added Services > DStv Catch Up > Subtitles on CatchUp and BoxOffice
Old 2014-10-24 , 08:29
Knows how to use a remote

Default Subtitles on CatchUp and BoxOffice

Hi,

After years (since 2007) of requesting the ability to record subtitles, we purchased the Explora in Dec 2013.

Since then we have been enjoying many hours of viewing pleasure!

But now it is time for the next BIG step!

When can we expect subtitles to be available on CatchUp and BoxOffice?
This is truly the final step in releasing the full potential of the Explora and DSTV services!

Not only does it benefit the deaf and hard-of-hearing community, but also elder people like my mom who are more and more relying on subtitles.

Come on DSTV, I know you won't disappoint. This is a great business opportunity and revenue stream for you!

Kind regards,

H
Old 2014-10-25 , 11:12
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermo View Post
Hi,

After years (since 2007) of requesting the ability to record subtitles, we purchased the Explora in Dec 2013.

Since then we have been enjoying many hours of viewing pleasure!

But now it is time for the next BIG step!

When can we expect subtitles to be available on CatchUp and BoxOffice?
This is truly the final step in releasing the full potential of the Explora and DSTV services!

Not only does it benefit the deaf and hard-of-hearing community, but also elder people like my mom who are more and more relying on subtitles.

Come on DSTV, I know you won't disappoint. This is a great business opportunity and revenue stream for you!

Kind regards,

H
Strange enough i have found a few programs that had subtitles on CU

Explora
Old 2014-10-25 , 12:05

You refer to programs that have embedded / burnt-in subtitles.
These are programs like soapies like Binnelanders / Isibaya etc. or foreign programs.

You won't find them on any of the mainstream shows or movies. That is where my demand / request is.
Old 2014-10-25 , 15:20
Forum Queen (gets her subjects to change her remote batteries daily.)
[Dear Twitter: Forum Queen is not a MultiChoice employee.]

That show about the doctors (think it was called Night Shift or something) had subtitles on CU. I got very exited for a bit but so far it was the only one I could find. I've always been an advocate for subtitles on CU. Started watching with headphones cause with my little hearing problem watching without subtitles or headphones is just not an option.
Old 2014-10-25 , 16:13

Ok, now that a specific show was mentioned I could verify it...and indeed you are right!
Apologies JeanP!

So how come some have and others not? If one has it, surely it can't be too dificult to put it on for the rest?
Old 2014-10-25 , 17:02
Technical Myriad

The shows have to be produced to include embedded / burnt-in subtitles, otherwise a separate process is required.

HI subtitles also requires a separate process.
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.
Old 2014-10-25 , 17:40
Forum Queen (gets her subjects to change her remote batteries daily.)
[Dear Twitter: Forum Queen is not a MultiChoice employee.]

So how does this getting subtitles from the internet work? And it is perfectly synced? The child showed me the other day and I'm still a bit confused about how that gets done. You can have any dl... ok wait sorry this is not the right forum to talk about this.
Old 2014-10-25 , 18:56

Yes please do not hijack this thread!

The "Night Shift" in Catch Up is indeed not embedded / burnt-in.
Definitely the separate process.

So this thread is to question why not everything in Catch Up and even BoxOffice can have subtitles if "Night Shift" has clearly proven it is possible?
Old 2014-11-03 , 14:05
MultiChoice

Hi there, moved your thread to the Catch Up section so MC Nic can respond.
Old 2014-11-03 , 14:16
MultiChoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermo View Post
Yes please do not hijack this thread!

The "Night Shift" in Catch Up is indeed not embedded / burnt-in.
Definitely the separate process.

So this thread is to question why not everything in Catch Up and even BoxOffice can have subtitles if "Night Shift" has clearly proven it is possible?
Hi hermo,

Night Shift does have burnt-in subtitles. We don't add any subtitles to the video after we receive it from the suppliers.

With regards to your previous question:

When we receive the content that is made available on Catch Up and BoxOffice it comes to us packaged with all the video files, sound files, meta data (synopsis, actors etc.), ready for us to play out to PVRs as-is after the necessary quality checks have been done.

(This is different to the way subtitles are handled with recordings and live TV, where they are actually manually fed into the system by a team here at DStv HQ.)

Because the previous PVR did not support subtitles on VOD content, there was never a need to include subtitles in that package.

HOWEVER, the new Explora does support subtitles on VOD content so the plan is to make these available as soon as we can.

Our biggest challenge is to ensure that the studios are geared up to provide subtitles in a format that we can support, and we are in the process of sourcing those.

But it might be a bit of time before you actually see ubiquitous subtitling across all VOD content.

MC Nic.
Tags
boxoffice, catchup, deaf, explora, subtitles