Forum > Content > Sport > World Cricket
Old 2018-02-09 , 16:36
Changes remote batteries hourly.

A third good win in a row for the Indian cricket side but this time it was against a very much weakened Protea side. Not saying India wouldn't have beaten a full strength Protea side but that is, at this moment, pure guesswork.

Also, although snicko showed otherwise, everybody says there was something "fishy/wrong" about the not out leg before decision against Kohli who then went on to score a very well played 160. Take that score away and India wouldn't have been doing too well either. However, as the saying goes, look in the book and all it will show you are the scores.

I have long maintained, and perhaps others are getting bored with it now, that the gap between our local Franchise Cricket and International cricket is way too big with only a couple of players truly being able to make the transition. We have had lots of players coming into the first side only to be discarded because they weren't good or consistent enough. Too many to mention here. This needs to be addressed as a matter of urgency. How? That is a very good question. Only by playing against very good players will our local players be truly tested. So, firstly, I would say that the Protea players should be ..... encouraged? to play more often for their local sides. Then perhaps each franchise should be encouraged/sponsored to invite one or two overseas players to play for them. Whether this will work or not I don't know but something definitely needs to be done.

Then today I get told that the Protea players have had the past two days off? Didn't we just get shellacked in the past three ODI's? Shouldn't that mean the players should be knuckling down and learning how to play spin and focusing on how to bowl the Indians out? Instead they can all go home and rest? What utter bull. They are professional players and should be behaving in a professional manner by looking at ways to improve their all round performances.

Oh, and please DON'T tell me they need a rest.

Last edited by beetle bailey; 2018-02-09 at 16:41. .
Old 2018-02-10 , 12:02
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
Very surprising because we have technology these day to check how each bowler and batsmen play - other teams capitalize on this but why not SA
I would think that South Africa have done video analysis on the Indian spinners (assuming that they've been able to get hold of footage), but it's very different watching on a screen and facing a bowler out in the middle. For one thing cameras aren't set up at the batsmen's eyeline, so no matter how much they watch they're still not going to see exactly what they would when it comes to a real delivery.

Quote:
SA supporters - is this so called young team going anywhere and will this young team be ready for the next WC
Who's calling it a "young" team? There's a mix of older players for whom the World Cup could very well be their swan song, established players who will go on playing after the World Cup, and players whose international careers have just begun. So I don't think it's accurate to describe it as a young team.

As for the current team, bear in mind that they're missing De Villiers, Du Plessis, and De K0ck, which is significant. If you took Kohli, Sharma, and Dhoni out of the Indian team then they would probably also struggle.

Right now the South African team doesn't look like it could win the World Cup. But there's still plenty of time to get things right.

Last edited by Citanul; 2018-02-10 at 12:47. .
Old 2018-02-10 , 12:59

This is annoying. I typed up a reply to Beetle's post, but it got flagged as requiring approval (and I'll own up to trying it twice, so it might come through as a double post ). Here is a screenshot of the reply, so that my contribution to the conversation appears now rather than having to wait for someone to approve it.

post2.jpg

I can't see anything in my reply that would have caused it to be flagged.

Last edited by Citanul; 2018-02-10 at 13:03. .
Old 2018-02-10 , 15:35
Technical Myriad

Back to today's game all that is going to save us is if the game is abandoned as a result of rain .....
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.
Old 2018-02-10 , 20:00
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Usually at World Cups we arrive as number 1 in the world (or close to it) having won plenty of series that everyone forgets soon afterwards. Then we go nowhere in the WC.

I guess this time "mission 2019" or whatever it's called involves us arriving as rank outsiders
Old 2018-02-11 , 09:22
Technical Myriad

Consider me completely flabbergasted and amazed and incredibly surprised. Maybe we are now able to handle the DL !
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.
Old 2018-02-11 , 11:09

I think we got the benefit of DL this time Was pleasing to see the spinners not dominating this time around. Now if we can only get rid of Kohli early in the innings. He's in sublime form
100/50 Fibre (OpenServe/AH Capped)
------------------------------------------
DSD1110 in holiday mode
DSTV Mobile via Drifta WiFi (S5& iPad)
Old 2018-02-11 , 13:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Maybe we are now able to handle the DL !
Except that we've surely been able to handle Duckworth-Lewis in the past. Given that we've won more ODIs than we've lost, it's not unreasonable to think that we've won more matches involving D/L than we've lost. Yes, there was the 2003 World Cup where we didn't realise that we needed to beat the par score rather than match it, but how many other times have we actually messed up with D/L?
Old 2018-02-12 , 18:44
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Just another gripe regarding the latest series between the Proteas and the Indians. This one concerns the graphic depicting the speed at which the ball is bowled. On screen we get shown the speed as being, say, 140.5 km.h. That's fine. But then we get a speedometer thing which ranges in speeds from 0 to 220 km.h. Who bowls at 0 or anywhere close to 220 km.h? What this means is that the speedometer graphic is looking pretty much the same for every ball bowled by an individual bowler. The speedometer's gradings are too small to show the difference in speeds and it always seems to be indicating the same speed. What's the purpose of this graphic?

Don't people THINK before putting up graphics of this sort? Or am I once again the one that should be thinking before posting this rant?
Old 2018-02-12 , 18:57
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle bailey View Post
Or am I once again the one that should be thinking before posting this rant?
Your rants are usually spot on.

Tell you what, I'll make you a deal... you stop posting your questioning of yourself and I'll stop posting that I'm leaving