Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > Dstv on demand TV. Poor picture and sound quality

Old 2009-01-30 , 13:54
Knows how to use a remote

Default Dstv on demand TV. Poor picture and sound quality

I always have problems with the sound and picture. Can someone please advise why?
Old 2009-01-30 , 15:17
MultiChoice

DStv on Demand uses exactly the same recording process as used for normal programmes - so if you have this problem on ALL titles in the DStv on Demand section, it is likely that this is related to your installation.
If you record something on the PVR, does it also have quality issues?
Old 2009-01-30 , 16:05
Changes remote batteries daily

I have brought this issue up before with Gossip Girl where almost every VoD of this series had video and audio problems. Currently with Boston Legal, for the last two weeks I have experienced picture stutter and audio breakup. I record the Monday show off-air as well on the SD-PVR and that does not suffer the same fate....
Denon AVR-X1400H (5.1 / 2 zones)
Old 2009-01-30 , 17:08

I haven't checked it lately, but when I watch stuff on VoD I always notice how good it looks.
Old 2009-01-31 , 13:40
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

The last 2 or 3 episodes of BOSTON LEGAL and MENTALIST has had picture and sound stutter, sometimes it will go several seconds out of sync and I will have to stop playback and then resume which syncs it up again. Same happened on a movie I watched yesterday. These are the only VoDs I have watched this month and assumed it was just my PVR. There appears to be a pattern.
Old 2009-02-02 , 08:12

I have noticed audio stuttering (no picture breakups) on a couple of programs. I made the assumption that with all the bad weather we have been having in Joburg it was related to rain fade.
Old 2009-02-02 , 13:50
MultiChoice

My initial response related to the query about ALL titles having quality issues - I think the subsequent resports are very specific - ie. imho these are two separate issues :- )
I have also noted glitches on the last two episodes of Boston Legal - the guys are investigating this. Keep in mind, we play out the tapes as we receive them, hence a glitch in the tape will be evident in the end product..... The QA guys will pull a programme if the quality is deemed totally unacceptable (and have done this numerous times in the past), hence sometimes the schedule changes.
Old 2009-02-06 , 12:27
MultiChoice

PS : watched Boston Legal and Supernatural on Wednesday night - both had no audio or video glitches.
Old 2009-03-12 , 11:54
Knows how to use a remote

Default Still the same

I still have the same problem. I had a problem with VOD showing the titles of programmes and when you choose a program then it does not play. I got so frustrated for not getting feedback that I paid the 300 odd Rand to swop my PVR out. Picture and sound quality on VOD are still poor, even on the swapped out PVR. Picture dissapears into a blue screen or looks like an old 16mm film that is showing the holes on the side of the film on the screen.
Old 2009-03-12 , 12:18
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrecp View Post
Picture and sound quality on VOD are still poor, even on the swapped out PVR. Picture dissapears into a blue screen or looks like an old 16mm film that is showing the holes on the side of the film on the screen.
Do you route your video signal through a VCR, by any chance?