Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > Service Queries > Picture/Audio Quality > Game of Thrones - censored audio on 'Original' channel
Old 2014-05-10 , 00:23
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Default Game of Thrones - censored audio on 'Original' channel

During Game of Thrones, series 4, episode 4, on Friday at 21h35 on M-Net, there were several instances of individual words being cut during the portion of the episode after the first break (e. g., one during Jaime and Tyrion's conversation, and two in Ser Alliser Thorne's speech to Jon Snow, and regularly in the scenes at Craster's Keep). I was watching using a standard 1110 decoder, and checked beforehand that 'English / Original' audio was selected (which is also our default audio - something I also checked).

Last edited by Terrence; 2014-05-10 at 00:58. .
Old 2014-05-10 , 01:33

Now, this is odd. Checking with later programmes, I was seeing the same issue, even after bringing up the audio channel selection, and again selecting 'English - Original'. But, once I selected the second option (oddly also labelled 'English - Original', despite our having 'English / Family' set as the alternative option in our audio settings), and then re-selected the 'English - Original' option, I got uncensored audio. This has never happened before, with this series, or others.
Old 2014-05-10 , 08:35
Changes remote batteries daily

I've had the same problem with both the language options being English - Original and both appearing to be censored. But at some point last night I must have changed back to the first English - Original as Game of Thrones definitely wasn't censored for me last night.

And quite frankly, what is the point of creating a censored soundtrack for Game of Thrones? Is there really anybody watching it who would have a problem with the language but not with the nudity and violence?
Old 2014-05-10 , 23:13

I had identical issues to those described by Terrence. The name of one of the “original” channels was changed to English - Family at about 2 a.m., but the soundtracks are still reversed tonight (Saturday). This problem affects not only M-Net, but just about all channels from 101 to 111, as well as the Series channels (113 to 115).

In the audio options dialogue boxes, English - Original should always be the first option and English - Family the second. In several cases the first option has now been changed to Family, which is obviously confusing decoder global settings.

This section of the forum doesn’t seem to be monitored regularly by moderators, so let’s hope that someone at DStv eventually discovers and corrects this recurrent annoying problem.

I agree with Citanul’s comments about censorship. I wonder what percentage of viewers still want censored soundtracks in this day and age. None of those viewers ever seem to complain when any of the M-Net soundtracks are reversed…

Last edited by Dennis; 2014-05-10 at 23:15. .
Old 2014-05-11 , 15:28
Knows how to use a remote

I've experienced the same problem. I have a standard single view 1131 decoder. On the shows Looking on Thursday and both the Tomorrow People and Game of thrones were censored even though both my first and second language options are English-Original.

Last edited by AdFr; 2014-05-11 at 15:31. .
Old 2014-05-11 , 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citanul View Post
And quite frankly, what is the point of creating a censored soundtrack for Game of Thrones? Is there really anybody watching it who would have a problem with the language but not with the nudity and violence?
Quite. The censorship was also done with the typical ineptitude: an only moderately offensive word used regularly of Jon Snow's parentage was cut, but one rather more offensive term used to Jaime by Bronn of Joffrey was not, and Locke's use to Jon in reference to aristocrats of one of the most offensive terms in the programme's vocabulary was also left uncut. This is not quite the most idiotic censorship I have seen on an M-Net channel. That was the mangling of The Remains of the Day to cut one instance of 'godson' and several of 'lord' as a title, followed by a 'corrected' audio track in which two uses of the phrase 'dry goods' were deemed too strong. But it's close.

What I saw was exactly as Dennis reports - on Friday, two 'English - Original', both of which were censored on switching to 101, but the first of which was uncut after reselecting; then on Saturday audio 1 was labelled 'English / Family', but carried the uncut audio. Overnight on Saturday / Sunday, the labels seem to have been reversed. We'll see tonight.

Incidentally, on Friday / Saturday I also checked other channels. One was showing Movie 43, and there the audio tracks were also reversed - uncut on audio 2 (labelled 'Family'), cut on 1 (labelled 'Original').
Old 2014-05-12 , 07:19
MultiChoice

Guys, censoring doesn't happen on our side. The technical guys checked repeats later in the weekend and they were fine. But have asked them to investigate further to see why this happened so we can prevent it from happening again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2014-05-12 , 08:01
Changes remote batteries daily. Has an entire thread named after her.

My Saturday night recording of Zero Dark Thirty had original soundtrack censored, and family soundtrack uncensored.
Old 2014-05-12 , 08:18
Changes remote batteries hourly

Some ideas - could there then be a problem on the ingestion side, and what of the coincidental(?) timing of the SuperSport surround sound issues.
Old 2014-05-12 , 13:08
Knows how to use a remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cat View Post
My Saturday night recording of Zero Dark Thirty had original soundtrack censored, and family soundtrack uncensored.
Looks like this was the problem over the weekend - Friday to Sunday. The soundtracks were reversed. I can imagine some people might have gotten a shock!!