Old 2010-06-05 , 16:08
Knows how to use a remote

Exclamation Pace HD PVR continually rebooting

Hi there,
My HD-PVR (Pace), has worked reasonably well since I purchased it 5 Months ago (mind the lacklustre software, and slow performance), but I have a more worrying issue with my HD-PVR, it happened a few weeks ago when it continually rebooted, I tried to find the problem but nothing worked because before I had a chance to do anything it would reboot. I disconnected it for the night, and in the morning it somehow worked correctly (3 weeks ago), until today. It seems this problem has come about since the s/w upgrade in May.

I highly doubt it has anything to do with overheating as my PVR is in a well ventilated area, not to mention I have installed an extra fan externally (with external power source).

My installation is as follows:
  • Pace HD-Pvr & SD PVR (Xtra View)
  • Twin LNB, 6-way multi switch.
  • Uses the Rf-in port for the heartbeat..
(I have seen a similar post in this forum, but the recipient was not very specific nor were the responses detailed)

Would some sage please help me, I would most certainly appreciate it.

Last edited by MC Rory; 2010-06-10 at 12:12. . Reason: Title
Old 2010-06-05 , 16:27
4K, baby!

Cesarae, even though your environment is well ventilated this does not mean that your PVR has not developed a fault which causes it to fail when it warms up; this type of fault is common in electronic systems.

It sounds, from your description of leaving the PVR off overnight and the fault disappearing, that this may well be the case with your PVR; you should not discount the possibility of a "hot fault". But do also make sure that both the Mains plug and "figure-of-8" connector in the back of the PVR are fully inserted.

It's unlikely to be related to the 5-May firmware update; auto-rebooting is not an issue that's been reported for either the Pace or UEC units associated with the upgrade. (though it's since been blamed for just about everything!)

How frequent are the reboots?
Leave the unit off overnight again and tell us if the fault disappears again for a while?

Cheers, S

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2010-06-05 at 16:36. .
Old 2010-06-05 , 17:03

Default Rebooting

Hi Sandtonman,

Thank you very much for your speedy reply. The reboots are in the best way to describe it Cyclic:
  1. The PVR boots,
  2. Searches for its signals
  3. Loads
  4. Whilst the TV is on it comes up with a picture and is responsive, then within 20seconds it reboots again, and again, and again, then it will work for a little while, then again and again non-stop.
In your opinion might this be a hardware fault? All cables are correctly fitted.

I've searched and found this interesting article on mybroadband.co.za pertaining to this rebooting issue >> HD PVR woes continue

Last edited by Cesarae; 2010-06-05 at 17:20. .
Old 2010-06-05 , 17:50
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesarae View Post
Hi Sandtonman,

Thank you very much for your speedy reply. The reboots are in the best way to describe it Cyclic:
  1. The PVR boots,
  2. Searches for its signals
  3. Loads
  4. Whilst the TV is on it comes up with a picture and is responsive, then within 20seconds it reboots again, and again, and again, then it will work for a little while, then again and again non-stop.
In your opinion might this be a hardware fault? All cables are correctly fitted.

I've searched and found this interesting article on mybroadband.co.za pertaining to this rebooting issue >> HD PVR woes continue
Yip, pretty much for sure with that frequency of rebooting it's a hardware problem in the PVR; (or a sparky power lead -- but you say you've checked that), which would cause this sort of problem.

Only problem, if it's a hot-fault, it may not occur after cooling down for a trip to MC. I'd still turn it off overnight again for a test first so you can explain to them if it goes away on the journey :-)

Cheers, S
Old 2010-06-05 , 18:09

OK this might freak you out a bit, I turned it back on and it still restarted continuously, but then I got so frustrated with the black box, I pressed the power button on and held it as it was loading, it all of a sudden went into the Searching for channels menu and seems to be working for the time being.

What could this be?
Thank again for your expertise.
Old 2010-06-08 , 21:28
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

My Pace HDPVR started re-booting itself continously today. I disconnected power for a while but did not help.

I then left it disconnected for quite a while to cool down before trying it again but that did not work either.

I will leave it off overnight and try again in the morning when it is completely cold.

Might try holding the power button as Cesarae did, but doubt this would work but you never know.

My first HDPVR which I got in August 2008 packed in after two weeks but this one has been working perfectly until today.
Old 2010-06-09 , 10:09
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Well the decoder being ice-cold this morning did not change anything. It still continiously re-boots itself.

So I guess its off to the stores to go and buy a new one. Hope the next one lasts longer than 21 months!
Old 2010-06-09 , 10:15
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Well the decoder being ice-cold this morning did not change anything. It still continiously re-boots itself.

So I guess its off to the stores to go and buy a new one. Hope the next one lasts longer than 21 months!
Take it in to MC, if you don't have a decoder plan, they charge a repair/swap out fee. Maybe see if you can get the UEC instead! Don't have to spend money on a new unit.
Old 2010-06-09 , 10:49
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
Take it in to MC, if you don't have a decoder plan, they charge a repair/swap out fee. Maybe see if you can get the UEC instead! Don't have to spend money on a new unit.
Agreed, take it to MC. Regret they will only do a like-for-like swap. i.e. Pace-for-Pace. Cheers, S
Old 2010-06-09 , 10:49
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post

That's hasty, you need to prove the decoder faulty first as it may be something else.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15