Forum > Discussions > Discussions > Impressions of ShowMax service
Old 2017-12-14 , 18:15
Changes remote batteries hourly

Default Impressions of ShowMax service

As ShowMax isn't a direct part of this forum at this stage I thought I would put this in discussions, just for sharing our impressions and of course MC can pass it on as well if they see fit to.

----------------------------

A main dislike of mine - those who didn't first try the 14 day free trial period won't know that to qualify for this one has to set up an account with financial commitments, and at the end go to the extra trouble and time of asking for that to be discontinued. At that point they want a reason why.
IMO that's a shameful way to try push for business, relying on people being too lazy and then getting into the routine of having it.

I've been impressed with the streaming to Explora speed on the whole, most of the time I can get away with a short buffer and still watch SD on a standard M_WEB 2Mbps ADSL connection.

Mr. Robot S03 - the main reason I've been watching a lot for a while. All of this relates to the SD copies;
  • Some of the episodes were in a "cinemascope" Aspect Ratio, others were presumably cropped. Didn't concern me, but others won't be amused at the cropping and certainly not at the lack of consistency.
  • Watched the last 2 episodes on headphones as that suited me. E09 was fine, but E10 had the "stereo" split in a way that the sound effects were on the left channel and the voices on the right, so had to force a mono audio connection.
Get your act together with QA please ShowMax!

Movies - I'm seeing very little of what I'm interested in. Perhaps just tastes.

Other series - not really my interest.
Old 2017-12-22 , 10:44
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:
Some of the episodes were in a "cinemascope" Aspect Ratio, others were presumably cropped. Didn't concern me, but others won't be amused at the cropping and certainly not at the lack of consistency.
Thought I should comment on the aspect ratio point above. As you know from my Terminator 2 thread I'm not shy when it comes to complaining about cropping and other issues, but bear in mind that this series sometimes has 'concept' or theme episodes, and in the case of Episode 8 (in series 3) they deliberately used a different aspect ratio.

This episode was discussed further here:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...sode-8-1063068

Quote:
On the page, during the shoot, and in the cut, we wanted to do something we had never done before. Everything about this episode — from the framing, the 2:39:1 aspect ratio, the music choices, the tone — none of it really feels like our show. We wanted the viewer to feel "off" and experience the surrealism that Elliot was dealing with.
Old 2017-12-22 , 11:05
Changes remote batteries hourly

Thanks Ryan, quite an amazing find you have there... who would have ever guessed!
Perhaps if ShowMax had offered the related chat show(s) as we had them before we may have found out...

As far as this service's tech goes their audio mistake was a really bad one to make, especially with the last episode of such a popular series, and I'll eat my avatar if that was intentional
Old 2017-12-25 , 11:01
Still gets up to change channels

Donít know if itís relevant to this thread, but I need log into Showmax once every month or so on the Explora, which is a little irritating, especially with the crappy onscreen keyboard.
Old 2017-12-26 , 11:15
4K, baby!

Don't know if it's my Vodacom 7" Tablet or Showmax software to blame but a couple of weeks ago, three?, I downloaded the series Deuce to the tablet. At the time there was some warning about the Showmax system being .... updated? Anyway I managed to download about 6 of the 8 episodes.

Two days ago I came to watch this series only to be told that I had no content downloaded to this device. However, on this same device there's an option saying "other device", (what this is, or where it is, I have no idea), and there I saw all the episodes listed with a word "download" in the bottom right corner for all these episodes. Click on the download button and get informed....this episode is already downloaded to your device. But NOWHERE can I open it.

Tried switching everything off and restarting the tablet only for the same information to be displayed. Two gig of limited data wasted.