Forum > Discussions > Discussions > Video Quality and standards: Where are we? Stranger Things, indeed! :)
Old 2017-11-20 , 16:19
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Thanks for a useful primer Sandtoman. I've recently been fortunate enough to upgrade to fibre (100/50) and have been looking at the possibility of UHD streams, but don't have the hardware to view it yet.

One of things that I found curious during my own research, was Sky's ability to "broadcast" in 4k, as you alluded to. Do you have any insight into how this is achieved (i.e. satellite? cable? stream?). I always understood that the bandwidth requirements for full 1080p broadcasts was prohibitive, so am amazed that they could make the leap to 4k broadcasts. I can understand how this is achieved via streaming, but traditional over-the-air methods must surely use some kind of compression?
Old 2017-11-20 , 21:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert View Post
One of things that I found curious during my own research, was Sky's ability to "broadcast" in 4k, as you alluded to. Do you have any insight into how this is achieved (i.e. satellite? cable? stream?). I always understood that the bandwidth requirements for full 1080p broadcasts was prohibitive, so am amazed that they could make the leap to 4k broadcasts. I can understand how this is achieved via streaming, but traditional over-the-air methods must surely use some kind of compression?
'Over the air' methods do indeed use compression, including what we get from DSTV, but UHD typically uses more modern/efficient HEVC/H265 encoding rather than H264. Also, Sky's UHD-capable decoder has a massive 12 tuners! But fibre is clearly the future.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/sky/sky-q

https://www.v-net.tv/2017/04/12/sky-...ared-to-h-264/
Old 2017-11-20 , 21:44
4K, baby!

Thanks Ryan; good input

No inside track at all from MC but, I suspect that MC will eventually use the high-band transponders on the new satellite to broadcast some 4K content, probably OB sport like Sky does. This will obviously require a new STB in the way Sky has launched the Sky-Q Box.

I'm looking forward to our complex upgrading to FTTH sometime in the New Year. At the same Time we will be upgrading our complex's DSTV infrastructure to fibre over one of the 4 strands being installed to each apartment.

I'll then go 50 or 100 Mbps down, in order to take full advantage of the UHD streaming content that is legally becoming available here in SA. I'm currently getting Dolby Vision, as already mentioned, on my 20Mbps line; but, I suspect it is not as resolute as it might be if I had more bandwidth available. The streaming SP is extremely good at reducing quality gradually to accommodate the available bandwidth.

As an aside, I noted that I've burned just under 200GB in the last 30-day rolling period. This confirms my estimate of around 5-6 GB per viewing hour for 4K content.

Cheers, K.
Old 2017-11-21 , 20:20
It was a dark and stormy night.
(But because his installation was sound, his DStv reception was perfect.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post
Thanks Ryan; good input

No inside track at all from MC but, I suspect that MC will eventually use the high-band transponders on the new satellite to broadcast some 4K content, probably OB sport like Sky does. This will obviously require a new STB in the way Sky has launched the Sky-Q Box.

I'm looking forward to our complex upgrading to FTTH sometime in the New Year. At the same Time we will be upgrading our complex's DSTV infrastructure to fibre over one of the 4 strands being installed to each apartment.

I'll then go 50 or 100 Mbps down, in order to take full advantage of the UHD streaming content that is legally becoming available here in SA. I'm currently getting Dolby Vision, as already mentioned, on my 20Mbps line; but, I suspect it is not as resolute as it might be if I had more bandwidth available. The streaming SP is extremely good at reducing quality gradually to accommodate the available bandwidth.

As an aside, I noted that I've burned just under 200GB in the last 30-day rolling period. This confirms my estimate of around 5-6 GB per viewing hour for 4K content.

Cheers, K.
Even in, ho hum, 1080p, Stranger Things season 2 is gripping TV

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk
Old 2017-11-22 , 23:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDavid View Post
'Over the air' methods do indeed use compression, including what we get from DSTV, but UHD typically uses more modern/efficient HEVC/H265 encoding rather than H264. Also, Sky's UHD-capable decoder has a massive 12 tuners! But fibre is clearly the future.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/sky/sky-q

https://www.v-net.tv/2017/04/12/sky-...ared-to-h-264/
Thank you!
Old 2017-12-12 , 09:48
4K, baby!

Default Difference between 4K and SD is a Gulf

OK, so now I've been streaming much of the new content for some weeks, on the other streaming service, all in 4K and some in Dolby Vision too.

Star Trek Discovery, Stranger Things, Ozark. And just recently Godless and The Crown; a couple of real binge-worthy series, for sure. The picture quality is simply amazing! However, I realised I was possibly missing a trick, as the resolution appeared better when I was near the screen with my reading glassing on, so....

I've had a special pair of spectacles made for my starting-to-age eyes. They are prescribed to an optimum distance of 4M from screen-to-eye and are made with a special non-reflective optical glass to ensure prime performance and absolutely zero reflections. They have a slight green tinge when looking sideways at them, rather like a decent camera lens.

I am simply in TV heaven with the combination of 4K and my new spectacles

And there's the rub. Now, when I switch back to Sky News, BBC News or worse still (unsure why) CNN, the SD pictures are noticeably really poor! No worse than they ever were I suspect but, after a full evening of 4K viewing, (plus my special glasses) the lack of even HD makes viewing these highly popular channels a real downer.

Cheers, K.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2017-12-12 at 09:52. .
Old 2017-12-12 , 09:57

Sounds good

Old 2017-12-12 , 12:01
Changes remote batteries daily

Spoilt you are ! Still working to get my stuff replaced after the storm.
Denon AVR-X1400H (5.1 / 2 zones)
Old 2017-12-12 , 16:28
4K, baby!

Default VESA open HDR standard for the PC industry

Here is a relevant article which may be of interest to the technically minded.

https://goo.gl/oLVNig

Cheers, K.
Old 2017-12-12 , 16:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post
Here is a relevant article which may be of interest to the technically minded.

https://goo.gl/oLVNig

Cheers, K.
Interesting development. In a related note, in the broadcast space, it's also interesting to see the BBC and NHK (a Japanese broadcaster) have come up with an HDR format (Hybrid log gamma / HLG) which is suited to broadcast tv and has pretty good backward compatibility with non-HDR displays. TV manufacturers have been providing updates supporting it, and it seems content is on the way now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/lat...t-ever-quality
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/l...-planet-II-uhd
https://www.cnet.com/news/all-about-...s-for-your-tv/