Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > DStv Products > HD PVR > Shocking - Cannot use HD PVR card in any other decoder

Old 2010-09-15 , 13:21
Still listens to the wireless

Default Shocking - Cannot use HD PVR card in any other decoder

Hi Guys.

Not happy. I was always the one that defended multichoice and I got one of the first
SD PVR's of the truck in Cape Town. Been with them for 15 years and even on their Beta software program from the SD PVR and they go and really make me so mad that I am thinking of canceling all my accounts with them. ( Sorry this a rant because I am not happy and I want to type this before I cool down)

I have always taken my SD PVR card with me when I went on holiday to use in a old decoder that I leave at the holiday bungalow. I have even had issues where the call center would tell me that you cannot do that when trying to register other DSTV Card's and then after the 5th call you would get to a person that tells you that it can be done and he does it in 5 min for you. ( Happy times)

Now after a bad week my SD PVR finally died and I decided to get my self a HD PVR decoder ( view 1, record 2 ). Now the HD PVR comes with a new DSTV Card and I ask the Goodwood service desk (Drove in for this) I would take one, but want to be able to still use it in my old decoder at our holiday bungalow. "No Sir, it cannot be done". If I paid for a service and decoder how can they stop me from using the card in multiple devices. ( I will have to take this further. Must be a Commission that can help me with this infringement of my rights.)

Hope somebody point me to somebody I can talk to get this to work or they must give me a second card I can use or let me keep my current card .

Rudolph

(Sorry for my rant, but I needed to do that)
Old 2010-09-15 , 13:23
A big, eagle-eyed baobab.

Its a security thing, all new decoders are married to the card
If you still have your old smartcard then activate that for a couple days while you're away & use that
Old 2010-09-15 , 13:29
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Rudolf

As frustrated you must be. There is a technical reason as the new decoders use a Zeta Smart Card which is not compatible with old decoders. But also due to crime and fraud the SC is married to the device to stop piracy. You should either get another card for holiday home and then activate it on the DSTV Care website or call in. You can then pay R35 odds a day and keep the HDPVR going to carry on recording or deactivate HDPVR and not pay extra for the holiday home. There is a discussion on this topic a few times already, have search and read the archives.

G
Old 2010-09-15 , 13:30
Knows how to use a remote

I don't see why you are so angry? Just get a regular smartcard for the old decoder, call up MC when you get there to activate it for however long you are there. It costs less than R20 per day. I do this all the time with the 1131 decoder in my lapa that I only use over weekends.
Old 2010-09-15 , 13:32
Technical Myriad

There's no technical reason ---- just Policy ------ and the jury is out if it really has any security benefits at all.
Old 2010-09-15 , 13:43
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
There's no technical reason ---- just Policy ------ and the jury is out if it really has any security benefits at all.
I was under the impression that PVR & 11xx units were only decoders able to use the Zeta SC (this could be a software limitation).
Old 2010-09-15 , 13:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
That's what I believe. Like I said I have had Call Center guys telling me it cannot be done, but when you get the right one that knows what he is talking about,they normally do it for you. It's just the luck of the draw. I am also thinking it's a policy more than a technical reason.

Maybe they just want me and you guys to pay that extra R 35 a day.

Just a shame after all my good times with them. I waited outside the MC offices for the truck that was on his way from Johburg with the SD PVR's. I even had to show the installer how to work the SD PVR. He hasn't even see one at that stage. We finished the install about 22h00 that evening. Truck got here at 17h00 and I got hourly updates of where the truck was.Just a shame.
Old 2010-09-15 , 15:55

Sorry still fuming.

Just a question. If you smartcard and decoder are married to each other. Why even have a smartcard? Can't they not just put it inside the decoder and not have a slot to remove it or even replace the smart card with a chip.
Old 2010-09-15 , 16:10
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by rterblanche View Post
Sorry still fuming.

Just a question. If you smartcard and decoder are married to each other. Why even have a smartcard? Can't they not just put it inside the decoder and not have a slot to remove it or even replace the smart card with a chip.
You would not want to be breaking open the decoder everytime, incases of any malfunction or upgrade. Would you?

silent witness
Old 2010-09-15 , 16:19
MultiChoice

A more secure relationship between the decoder and smartcard does reduce piracy, and in any industry this ultimately benefits the customer.

Smartcard marriage has been received well, there is some inconvenience to our customers, we apologise for that, but it is a small inconvenience and is necessary.

It might also be important to note that security measures are not region specific, but generally a response globally to specific hacks and counter-measures. If a specific system, such as "pairing" which was previously used worked 100%, we would have continued using it...

I think reasonable suggestions were already provided and you'll probably find additional benefits like not having to worry about forgetting or carrying a smartcard around with you, having both homes active with DStv, etc.