Forum > Value Added Services > DStv Now > Minix Neo - Device is currently registered to another Connect User
Old 2015-07-25 , 22:01
Still listens to the wireless

Default Minix Neo - Device is currently registered to another Connect User

Hi
Trying to setup my Minix Neo X6 device with DSTV NOW and got error Device is currently registered to another Connect User. After 16 hours (in 2 days) chatting to DSTV consultants who was not able to provide me with an answer as to why I get the error message some bright spark provide me with below answer:

Hi
We have licensing agreements for the different content we offer, these agreements do not allow for content to be played in plug and play devices.
Kind Regards
Zinzi
The DStv Now Team.

My question is, will DSTV catch a wake-up before the end of the world so that we can use our media boxes or can we ditch DSTV in total and look for alternative TV streaming?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Minix Registration Error 123.jpg (62.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 2015-07-26 , 11:34
Technical Myriad

Unfortunately, MC have a "DRM" service provider, who appears to be incapable of keeping up with the plethora of new smart devices and the changes every new device requires done to the DSTV NOW app.
The error message is also a spurious one, probably because the app is incapable of reporting a more accurate error message.

MC's DRM process is simply too complicated.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2015-07-27 , 10:32
MultiChoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by palatzo@gmail.com View Post
Hi
Trying to setup my Minix Neo X6 device with DSTV NOW and got error Device is currently registered to another Connect User. After 16 hours (in 2 days) chatting to DSTV consultants who was not able to provide me with an answer as to why I get the error message some bright spark provide me with below answer:

Hi
We have licensing agreements for the different content we offer, these agreements do not allow for content to be played in plug and play devices.
Kind Regards
Zinzi
The DStv Now Team.

My question is, will DSTV catch a wake-up before the end of the world so that we can use our media boxes or can we ditch DSTV in total and look for alternative TV streaming?
Hi palatzo@gmail.com,

Welcome to the forum

As Geoff rightly mentions we're at the mercy of our DRM provider in this case. Here's the current list of devices they support: http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=26243

Here's another sticky that covers the error message you received: http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=26111

The only consolation I can offer you right now is that management is speaking to our DRM provider about this very issue. In the meantime, we're also investigating an alternative way to allow more Android devices to be supported "unofficially" but this will require development and time to test.

We apologise for the inconvenience.

MC Nic.
Old 2015-07-27 , 10:35
MultiChoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
The error message is also a spurious one, probably because the app is incapable of reporting a more accurate error message.
Or, as mentioned before, the manufacturer does not assign unique device IDs to their devices, which means the first person that registered one of these devices with DStv Now used up the one device ID that was being used by the manufacturer, rendering all subsequent registrations as "registered to another user".

This is sadly one of the challenges we face in the Android space where grey imports and refurbished devices are the norm.
Old 2015-07-27 , 18:00

Thanks for the reply Nic, but my device is a brand new ORIGINAL device with a Minix serial number - I have checked this with Minix Head Office in Hong Kong.
Old 2015-07-27 , 18:05

Hi Nic

I did check out your list of approved devices and I see that it has not been updated since March 2015, which means that your DRM provider is also not interested in adding new devices. 5 Months down the line (almost 6) and nothing new has been added, and in the mean time a lot of new devices has been launched that people can't use.

Thanks for working on a fix on the error message, because it is indeed misleading, especially if you bought a brand new original device that has never been registered before. It will help a lot.

I really appreciate the below reply from you and thanks for that.
The only consolation I can offer you right now is that management is speaking to our DRM provider about this very issue. In the meantime, we're also investigating an alternative way to allow more Android devices to be supported "unofficially" but this will require development and time to test.

At this stage a couple of us are thinking to ditch DSTV and rather pay for Netflix and other international channels subscription because at least we can use our devices without any problems. With XBMC/Kodi we already get the movies and series for free, the big challenge is the sport part which other international channels can sort out for us.

The way we watch TV has changed, but DSTV and it's DRM provider has not caught on to the new trend. Instead of 10 devices we prefer to use one device that do everything, but now that one device is not supported

Last edited by palatzo@gmail.com; 2015-07-27 at 18:11. .
Tags
dstv now, minix neo, registered error