Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > New DRIFTA App for Android 2.2, 2.3, 3.x and 4. Not SUpported??
Old 2012-08-27 , 09:51
Still listens to the wireless

Angry New DRIFTA App for Android 2.2, 2.3, 3.x and 4. Not SUpported??

Hello,

I have had a Drifta since December when i willingly decided to buy one. I have a little problem with this New App from Google Play store, the app states it's for Android 2.3. I have the HTC Evo 3D which HAS 2.3.4! Now why is it that i get a message "Your Android Device is not supported by this application" ? How is this possible when i in fact have an Android device that HAS 2.3?

Please can you explain to me why this app does not support Android and is PHONE specific? Can you please add the Evo 3D to the supported list?

"This app is compatible with your Cell C HTC HTC EVO 3D X515m." <--- from the play store!

Thanks!

Matthew
Old 2012-08-28 , 08:55
MultiChoice | DStv Mobile

The app is phone specific because all phone models are unique, the specs are different, even though they run on the same OS, we need to make sure that a particular device satisfies our requirements prior to approval.
We will continue to update the forum when new devices are approved.
Old 2012-08-28 , 09:05

Thanks for your reply.

Will the Evo 3D ever be added? I do feel that this App should run on this device as there are a few HTC Phones on your list that is no difference in Versions other than the 3D camera, it is still Android 2.3 ICS? On Google play you can download an app that will work across most Android phones.

It is very frustrating that we have to wait months for something that should be here long ago...
Old 2012-08-28 , 09:09
Technical Myriad

Semantics I know, but is the word " approved" the right choice?

(1) MC cannot and will never be able to "control" the "PCD" space. (Personal Communications Device, my own def I think)

(2) MC will never be able to "conrol" the crazy World of APP development and launch.

(3) ALL MC can hope to do is run like a mad thing after these developmets and "test" their service on these devices and apps, and try to modify their services so they will run

(4) so the best outcome is a a never ending changing list of devices and apps that have been tested ------
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.

Last edited by Geoff D; 2012-08-28 at 09:50. .
Old 2012-08-28 , 09:24
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Semantics I know, but is the word " approved" the right choice?

(1) MC cannot and will never bea ble to "control" the "PCD" space. (Personal Communications Device, my own def I think)

(2) MC will never be able to "conrol" the crazy World of APP development and launch.

(3) ALL MC can hope to do is run like a mad thing after these developmets and "test" their service on thesze devices and apps, and try to modify their services so they will run

(4) so the best outcome is a a never ending changing list of devices and apps that have been tested ------
Which I think is why the iDevices are so well supported, there is only one manufacturer, with a small amount of products, rather than 100 different android phones and tablets that run on multiple variations of OS.

and secondly I think it may be why they went for the Walka its all in one, it will work if you have signal, there are no 3rd party software and hardware requirements.
Old 2012-08-28 , 10:27
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReThan View Post
it is still Android 2.3 ICS? .
2.3 is Ginger Bread and 4.0 is Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS)

The Drifta is unique app in that it interacts with hardware and receives an encrypted signal which needs to be decrypted.
Each phone has its own unique kernel (the core of ths OS) and seems to matter to MC App

As Lyndon points out, Idevices are easy to develop for, a few models and closed unit

G
Old 2012-08-28 , 11:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
2.3 is Ginger Bread and 4.0 is Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS)

The Drifta is unique app in that it interacts with hardware and receives an encrypted signal which needs to be decrypted.
Each phone has its own unique kernel (the core of ths OS) and seems to matter to MC App

As Lyndon points out, Idevices are easy to develop for, a few models and closed unit

G
That is understandable, this still does not explain to me why. There are people out there that disabled the phones check on the app and it worked for almost every Gingerbread phone and Tablet, this proves that the App works, MC just restricts the App.

It's not that hard to add the Evo 3D in the list, why must people revert to "cracking" the app. There has been waaayy more than enough time for tests to be done and to be approved, but hey this is SA, everything works in months and not weeks.
Old 2012-08-28 , 11:46
Changes remote batteries daily

I dont claim to know anything when it comes to MC's Mobile software and the Drifta Devices,
But at the very least I would assume that the content providers have some sort of requirement from MC to ensure that certain things are in place or that of a certain level of security is in place for MC to approve the software for a particular device, if the requirements are not met for some reason then the cant release the software for it, or add it to the supported list, even though it may work just perfectly on the device.

As I said its speculation on my part and i might be correct or totally off or somewhere in between.

It would be great if we where told more, but I wouldn't hold my breath, we dont know if MC is just being painfully secretive or if they are bound by certain clauses and contracts to be painfully secretive.
Old 2012-08-28 , 12:09
Technical Myriad

In the end, trying to use hardware and s/w on end user devices to control access to services is doomed to failure. Service access and authentication is devolving back in to central core, which is totally possible with a 'two-way device'.

The days of dumb receive only devices, with h/w and "distributed" service access and authentication (such as the STBs we all have now), are all on the "seriously endangered list" already.

I am personally convinced that attempts to "protect" such devices is one huge waste of time, money and effort.
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.