Old 2009-07-10 , 23:50
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Default Shocking service

We picked up the new smartcard for the SD PVR yesterday and today we called the call centre to activate Xtra View. The first person immediately started going through the settings and telling us that "Communication Port" should be set to "RF IN" on the HD PVR. Since we have a 4B installation (and installed it ourselves), I thought that changing this was a bad idea, but anyway, we told him we'd have to change the cables around and would call back later (I just *love* the fact that you speak to a different person every time you call in! [sarcasm]).

So, we moved the heartbeat cable from RF OUT to RF IN on the HD PVR, and called the call centre again. This person also checked settings, and then we proceeded with the activation. After everything was done, we were still left with a "Waiting for communication from Primary decoder" message on the SD PVR, and after trying a bunch of things which involved flicking back and forth between the HD and SD PVR about a hundred times (each time meaning a change to the TV input, Amp, and RCU), she finally told us that MC were having signal issues and that we should call back in about an hour if the message had not gone away. It hadn't.

Time for the third call of the day. This guy knew *nothing*. In fact, he even told us that he didn't receive enough training. He put us on hold twice and each time left for what seemed like ages. Eventually he told us that he was trying to get hold of an expert, so we asked him to please get that expert to call us back. No call received.

I'm now also not able to access the HD PVR channel from the 2nd and 3rd TVs.

I thought that this would be a 2 minute call, instead we spent about an hour on the phone at *our* expense, and the end result means that we're worse off than when we started!

Should the heartbeat cable have been moved? Should the call centre agent even ask us about such things? (since I don't see it mentioned here.) Are there any competent call centre agents?

So we have cr*p service, cr*p broadcast quality, and cr*p decoder software. Good job.
Old 2009-07-11 , 10:37
Changes remote batteries daily

Move the cables back.
Change the settings on the EXTRAVIEW to RF-OUT.
Then call them if everything is not working.
If they ask you if the cable is in the RF-IN. Just say yes. They have no idea of where it is and it can be on the RF-OUT as long as the settings is correct.
Old 2009-07-11 , 13:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barendb View Post
Move the cables back.
Change the settings on the EXTRAVIEW to RF-OUT.
Then call them if everything is not working.
If they ask you if the cable is in the RF-IN. Just say yes. They have no idea of where it is and it can be on the RF-OUT as long as the settings is correct.
Changed back. Still not working.

They can call me for a change.
Old 2009-07-11 , 14:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Fat chance of that happening....
Old 2009-07-12 , 18:22
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Changed back. Still not working.

You are going to wait until hell freezes over. I suggest you send a PM to mcaitv for help. and leave it on RF OUT!
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.
Old 2009-07-12 , 19:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASPER View Post
Fat chance of that happening....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
You are going to wait until hell freezes over.
Not if MCA itv reads this topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I suggest you send a PM to mcaitv for help. and leave it on RF OUT!
I intend to if this topic isn't noticed by late morning tomorrow.

Glen.
Old 2009-07-13 , 11:22
MultiChoice

I think the topic heading doesn't do the service you have recieved justice :- (
Bad, bad, bad... have escalated as discussed on PM. Apologies are not enough.
Old 2009-07-13 , 11:35
MultiChoice

If your setup was working and you tested the heartbeat path ( via remote relay) you should not change it.

Just tell the Call centre the installation has been checked and you are just phoning ot get it activated.

The Call centre should only ask about the installation if it is not working, or if the caller is enquiring about XtraView.
Old 2009-07-13 , 11:59
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by : ) C4 View Post
If your setup was working and you tested the heartbeat path ( via remote relay) you should not change it.

Just tell the Call centre the installation has been checked and you are just phoning ot get it activated.

The Call centre should only ask about the installation if it is not working, or if the caller is enquiring about XtraView.

Welcome back! Hope you had a good break and are ready to do battle!
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.
Old 2009-07-13 , 12:19

Quote:
That's what I thought. I forgot how to test the heartbeat path -- I'm using remote blasters from the other 2 rooms to the lounge, the remote blaster receiver is sending commands to the SD PVR. I can control the SD PVR with the HD PVR remote by changing the dial to "A" (IIRC). The 2 other rooms have SD PVR RCUs, to test, would I need to use an HD PVR RCU in one of the other 2 rooms? That would then send commands to the SD PVR which would relay them to the HD PVR. Is that correct?

Quote:
Except that now it's in a "half-activated" state -- pin code stuff is done, but there's a "Waiting for communication from Primary decoder" message on the SD PVR. Can they do something from their side to fix this?

Quote:
Then there is a problem with the call centre staff.