Old 2010-01-12 , 18:14
Still gets up to change channels

Default Splitter or LNB - Strange problem

Hello Forum

I request your input here please - I have HDPVR and SDPVR with Xtraview activated. Single dish with two wire LNB going into a 2x6 splitter - 4 lines to HDPVR and 2 lines to SDPVR.
All works well and then i get on a selection of channels (same on both decoder - except HD channels on SDPVR) that show 'unable to locate signal'

I swop the 2 inputs from the LNB at the splitter and all is ok again until the next day (no defined period) Same problem - swap the inputs and we get all the channels agian.

Question = does this point to faulty LNB or 2x6 Splitter?

Any one had similar issue with succesful resolution?

Thanks to Forum for your valued inputs here

Bill Gradwell
Old 2010-01-12 , 21:30
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

If it is always the same channels that cannot be viewed and you are switching the cables to the LNB around daily then I think your 2x6 multiswitch is most likely the one that is faulty.
Old 2010-01-13 , 08:43
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Hello Forum

I request your input here please - I have HDPVR and SDPVR with Xtraview activated. Single dish with two wire LNB going into a 2x6 splitter - 4 lines to HDPVR and 2 lines to SDPVR.
All works well and then i get on a selection of channels (same on both decoder - except HD channels on SDPVR) that show 'unable to locate signal'

I swop the 2 inputs from the LNB at the splitter and all is ok again until the next day (no defined period) Same problem - swap the inputs and we get all the channels agian.

Question = does this point to faulty LNB or 2x6 Splitter?

Any one had similar issue with succesful resolution?

Thanks to Forum for your valued inputs here

Bill Gradwell
The MS is the likely culprit - The earlier ones were extremely poorly designed and manufactured. ( high insertion loss, power hungry, high voltage drop across the MS resulting in inadequate power supply to the LNBs) Component aging and failure is now starting to surface.

If for a while at least, (24-48 hours), simply take the two LNB feeds directly to the HD decoder and the problem does not come back then you know for sure. Of course services to the SD will be lost for the duration of this test.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2010-01-13 , 09:04

Thanks Geoff and Gambit. Where do I get good 2x6 MS unit - any model numbers?
Regards Bill
Old 2010-01-13 , 09:06

Thanks Geoff and Gambit

Where do I get good 2x6 MS - model numbers?

Regards Bill
Old 2010-02-01 , 08:34

Ok - so I got new multiswitch (Labgear) installed - and same problem - to repeat - defined channels including channel 170 comes up with searching for channel message. I swap the two inputs into the multiswitch and we are back in business. So all left to do is getting new dual LNB - or should I look elsewhere.
Thanks Bill
Old 2010-02-01 , 08:48
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Ok - so I got new multiswitch (Labgear) installed - and same problem - to repeat - defined channels including channel 170 comes up with searching for channel message. I swap the two inputs into the multiswitch and we are back in business. So all left to do is getting new dual LNB - or should I look elsewhere.
Thanks Bill

Did you by pass the MS before you replaced it? - That would have shown up the LNB failure.
Old 2010-02-01 , 08:52

Hi Geoff
No - I did not - will do so now - did not follow your suggestion. Will let you know what happens.
This problem pops up at the worst times - when all the grand children are watching their BBC (306) channel. All hell breaks loose! Swap the two cables and all ok (until next time)
Bill
Old 2010-02-01 , 09:05
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Hi Geoff
No - I did not - will do so now - did not follow your suggestion. Will let you know what happens.
This problem pops up at the worst times - when all the grand children are watching their BBC (306) channel. All hell breaks loose! Swap the two cables and all ok (until next time)
Bill
Yes it always does! I would check the connections on the cables, make sure the connetcors are not causing the problem. ( both at the MS end and at the LNB end. With all this rain, you may have water thta has gotten into the connections at the LNB side. When the problem occurs, and you can reach the antenna simply squeeze the cable between your fingers while someone watches and see if the channels being watched come and go if they do, or if water comes out of the connection, then that is the cause. The make off the cable, but cut back any portion that has water in it. Otherwise it could be that one of LNBs is intermittent.
Old 2010-02-01 , 14:03

Thanks - Geoff. Yes it was my first port of call to check the connections - in fact i redid the lot. From the MS to the PVR's I have some manufactured cables - these I could not make off. Maybe some issue here - however - I do not touch these cables at all - only swap the two coming from the LNB. Am thinking I have a faulty LNB - technically - something like a bit of capacitance build up killing some of the channels (either the verticals or horizontally aligned) in the LNB and this is then discharged when the cables are swapped. I however do not have the schematic for the LNB so not sure if my theory holds true?
Thanks Bill

Tags
installation, lnb, splitter