Old 2012-11-09 , 08:51
Knows how to use a remote

Question Redneck LNB

HI Forum

Got my DSTV installed last night by an accredited installer refereed to me by Game store. Issue is that I am close to power lines and they suggested I put in a Redneck LNB. This LNB is some high frequency boosting device that will make my viewing better as the power lines may interfere with the signal. This LNB came out of a red box and was told to pay R375 for the LNB and they keep the LNB that came with the original installation set. they said that it costs R675 for the Redneck LNB less my basic LNB = R375.

Question is, is there such an LNB called a Redneck LNB? Does it costs that much?
Old 2012-11-09 , 10:17
It was a dark and stormy night.
(But because his installation was sound, his DStv reception was perfect.)

Did it have a mullet haircut?

Seriously, I've never heard of this, but the real boffin on these things is Geoff.
Old 2012-11-09 , 11:34
Technical Myriad

Please provide more detail of the make and model number for the LNB you were convinced to buy.

Is it a standard universal LNB (TWIN, QUAD, etc).

I see lately that there are many new LNBs around some marked as being "HD ready". The only diff when comparing the specs of these to others is slightly better phase noise figures on the "HD ready" LNBs.

There are also a number of LNBs now available, using a local oscillator set at 10.6 GHz and not 10.7 GHz. I see my favourite supplier Ellies claims it has 10.7 and a 10.6 version, but when you check the spec sheet on the website it is the same ------, referring to 10.7 ( May of course just be careless website managers that are responsible for the inclusion of the wrong spec sheet).

Now you will ask what is the significance of all of this? Well, only MC can confirm whether the decoder s/w is able to handle the differences by either "forcing" the LNBs to all operate on the same lo frequency or to tolerate the slight shift in IF frequency that occurs when these are used in some installations. I am pretty sure not many if any installers will change the network settings accordingly, and how does one ensure after the change that the decoder does not revert back to 10.7 after a factory reset.

It may be very interesting to get comments from persons on the forum regarding what their network settings are on decoders connected to LNBs with a Lo of 10.6 ------

My LNB is the standard Ellies version 8-way with lo of 10.7

As to what is a 'rednecked lnb' ? Have no idea yet.

As to the reference to proximity of power lines to the install? Well I think that is just a very clever piece of BS to convince you to change the LNB -----
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2012-11-09 , 11:36
Changes remote batteries hourly

When I did terrestrial M-Net installations years back, the only problem I wasn't able to solve satisfactorily was power lines related. At best the client would lose his coding lock on the signal every couple of minutes or so for a few seconds as the power lines' interfering EM wave cycled. Fortunately someone else did find a solution and shared the knowledge with me;

You possibly need to relocate your dish to a wall on the furthest side of your house from the power lines, with the wall and house blocking the line-of-sight path to where the power lines lie.

However, the frequencies used for satellite signals may have different properties in this respect and their much weaker strength factor may make this idea impractical, so Geoff will hopefully have more definitive info for you about this possible solution.

I too don't know anything about a "redneck" LNB.

Last edited by Optimist; 2012-11-09 at 11:53. .
Old 2012-11-09 , 11:59
Technical Myriad

Agreed, if EMI intereference from the powerlines is a problem at an install, the only way to solve is to relocate the antenna to a position shielded from the power line. Power induction onto the feeder cables can also be a serious problem. NEITHER of these 2 issues is solved by changing an LNB.

I once lived in Garsfontein PTA, where there was a powerline running right past our place. The induction currents in the fence around my place was so high that I was able to set up garden lighting and charge car batteries from the fence!

Last edited by Geoff D; 2012-11-09 at 12:24. .
Old 2012-11-09 , 12:07
Changes remote batteries hourly

I really think that anyone who chooses to live next to power lines for any length of time is looking for trouble, it must affect people worse than is reported (and there is some alternative and somewhat respected evidence to support that), it seems that's always the case with the sources of such reports which I am convinced are only interested in siding with the suppliers of the technology.

Last edited by Optimist; 2012-11-09 at 12:30. .
Old 2012-11-09 , 12:38

Wink

thank you very much guys. i really appreciate the input. So basically, I was told BS by these installers. I will lodge a complaint with the installer now and if no help, will take it further to MC. I didnt believe it but they said that everyone else in my complex uses these "Redneck" LNBs. The LNB was in red Ellies box. As I am not very much clued to the tech behind satellite and these guys are MC accredited, I took it all in till my channels started freezing every 2-3 minutes late last night and this morning. Now after asking many people including Ellies themselves, noone knows about these types of LNBs.

Thank you everyone!
Old 2012-11-09 , 12:43
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirius View Post
thank you very much guys. i really appreciate the input. So basically, I was told BS by these installers. I will lodge a complaint with the installer now and if no help, will take it further to MC. I didnt believe it but they said that everyone else in my complex uses these "Redneck" LNBs. The LNB was in red Ellies box. As I am not very much clued to the tech behind satellite and these guys are MC accredited, I took it all in till my channels started freezing every 2-3 minutes late last night and this morning. Now after asking many people including Ellies themselves, noone knows about these types of LNBs.

Thank you everyone!
Do you still have the box? It would be very interesting to know what makes these LNBs special when compared to the other LNBs on the Ellies website.
Old 2012-11-09 , 12:52

Just spoke the manage of the company that installed the dish. He said its called a booster or an inline amp. And they come from different companies and packages. he said it boosts the signal to make it stronger.

Also he said that due the fact that MC is upgrading channels and changing them left right and center, I may experience some channels freezing or going black. Not sure if I should believe him on that but I will monitor the setup this weekend and give him feedback on Monday.

And I dont have the box that came with the LNB. He will drop it off next week so that I see what type of LNB it is. I will get the specs of it and post them here.
Old 2012-11-09 , 13:02
Technical Myriad

I have just spoken to Ellies in JHB. The technical person there tells me they supply 2 LNB types, one for MC which requires the 10.7 Lo and the other for TT which requires a lo of 10.6. As for the rest, the specs are the same.

Yes there are some available with better noise figures which are better suited to HD reception. According to Ellies HQ, the LNBs are just packed in a red box these days ......

Where this amplification story comes from?? Not according to the Ellies website. This will remain a bit of a mystery until we can get the actual specs of the LNB installed at your premises.

Tags
lnb, power