Old 2012-05-17 , 16:54
Knows how to use a remote

Question DSTV installation

I already have a standard 1110 decoder and smartcard. All I need is the rest of the equipment. Who can do this and at what cost? Would it be cheaper to buy another DSTV decoder package in Randburg and use the voucher for installation? I had the dish and LNB, etc but it was going to cost me more than R250 to do the relocation. Please advise if you can on the best way forward for me.

Thank you.
Old 2012-05-17 , 18:13
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirius View Post
I already have a standard 1110 decoder and smartcard. All I need is the rest of the equipment. Who can do this and at what cost? Would it be cheaper to buy another DSTV decoder package in Randburg and use the voucher for installation? I had the dish and LNB, etc but it was going to cost me more than R250 to do the relocation. Please advise if you can on the best way forward for me.

Thank you.
Buying a new standard decoder it might be cheaper rather than risk being ripped-off. I've been there, now I know how this industry works. You can use your 1110 for XV in future.
*AV MultiBox for viewing TV1 on TV2 and TV2 on TV1
*Idling: 1 x 1131 (re-packaged) waiting for XV+
Old 2012-06-01 , 12:36

Hey Puggy thanks for the reply. I have another query. Is it possible to use one dish for a second decoder in the same house? I am thinking of not buying DSTV kit but get a "splitter"-something that will be like "network switch" for the TVs. I live in a flat and multiple dishes are an issue with my landlord hence this option. If this is possible, were could I buy it and what brand/make should I buy?
Old 2012-06-01 , 15:43

Hi Sirius,

Puggy is offline, so I'll quickly chip in.

You can't simply split the signal from a normal single LNB to a second decoder. It won't work correctly and you will have multiple issues. The decoder needs full control of the LNB, and a normal splitter will hinder this.
If you plan to use the same dish for two decoders, you will have to upgrade the LNB (Low Noise Block => the thingy at the end of the arm on the dish) to a twin LNB which has two ports. A twin LNB is like 2 LNBs in one enclosure, giving both decoders their own LNB to use and control. You can swap the LNB yourself, but it is very important that it is installed in exactly the same way, including skew angle, as the LNB that is on there now. Also take care not to move the dish in the process.
This means that you will have to run a second cable from the dish too, unfortunately.
You don't mention which other decoder uses the dish at the moment. If it is a PVR decoder, you will have to get a multiswitch (this looks like a splitter) which can split the two signals from the dish to either 4 (for a single view decoder + 2 tuner PVR, one spare port) or 6 (for a single view decoder and 4 tuner PVR, one spare port). If the other decoder is also a single view decoder (one LNB input), then you will just need the twin LNB.

Have a look at the Xtraview Manual from page 27 onward. I know that you are not setting up Xtraview, but this explains how to connect two decoders to one dish, which is relevant to you.

Last edited by JG; 2012-06-01 at 15:46. . Reason: Link added
Old 2012-06-01 , 15:50

Thank you JG. Both decoders are 1110 decoders. I thought one could do it like what one does in a computer network using a switch and split the signal among many viewers.

Appreciate your help JG. will pop into MC Randburg and buy myself another kit. Less hassles from day one with a fresh installation.
Old 2012-06-01 , 16:12

No, sorry, but it's not that simple.
If do plan to use the same dish, you will just need to get the Twin LNB then.

If you are going for a new dish:
If you foresee yourself upgrading to HD (getting a PVR) or a second decoder (Xtraview) sometime in the near future, you may well want to get a twin LNB now and save youself the hassle of getting an installer out again in future. Can't go wrong with a dish bigger that 60cm too, if the complex will allow you.
Old 2012-06-03 , 20:16

Hi JG, thank you for the reply. Much appreciated. I have gone for the new DSTV system. Some guy wanted to charge me R500 just for the cable and dish. Others R800...So I got a spare standard decoder...any takers?
Old 2012-06-04 , 09:08

Hi Sirius, what's in your possession now? Do you have an installed dish currently? Do you have a twin LNB? Let me know so we can take this forward.
Old 2012-06-04 , 09:48

Hi Puggy, I went to buy the new DSTV kit for R599 at MC. New separate standard installation with standard decoder. Now I have a spare decoder to play with.....

Thank you for the help.
Old 2012-06-04 , 11:16

Do you need any more help?

Tags
dstv, installation, lnb