Forum > Broadcast Errors > Broadcast Errors > Frustrating Record Function
Old 2017-07-22 , 09:33
Still gets up to change channels

Default Frustrating Record Function

Good day all (including MC)
I have noticed for some time now that when I record a partially watched live broadcast with the purpose of resuming where I left off when returning later, the recorded portion has been replaced with a complete re-broadcasting of the program. This means that I have to fast forward to where I started recording from. It is even worse when watching a live rugby match. In this case the recorded portion is replaced with highlights of the entire game. If I wanted highlights I would use CU for this. I have complained about this very frustrating feature before on this forum but with no success. What is wrong with the software developers of MC. With every update of the software they seem to take out some previous working function and replace it with a completely unacceptable replacement. When will the day come when we can replace DSTV with a decent provider who doesn't keep us hostage with this kind of service. The only thing that keeps me subscribing is to watch the exclusive sports coverage that has somehow been captured by agreements made between SS and the sports providers. With the alternative viewing platforms available to watch other content besides live sports I would think many subscribers would agree with my viewpoints. So MC what are you going to do about this recording issue then?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 2017-07-22 , 10:07
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by francet View Post
I have noticed for some time now that when I record a partially watched live broadcast with the purpose of resuming where I left off when returning later, the recorded portion has been replaced with a complete re-broadcasting of the program. This means that I have to fast forward to where I started recording from.
Hi, here's what's come up before in this regard - MC has set this up on Exploras to cover partial failures of recordings, so under those circumstances or when someone has missed the beginning of a show most would find it extremely useful.

It's the first time I've read of someone not liking it, and why makes complete sense but I can't see them changing how it works for those who want to make partial recordings. Not certain what I would consider fair-to-all now as I'm sure you're far from alone in this need, and I've done similar myself a few times.

Here's a couple of ways around it;

1. Some of us have learnt to keep an at least daily eye on the Schedules for recordings list due to small changes that are made to the scheduling on some channels that can cause later conflicts. One of the things that are then noticed in time is any re-scheduling of what has been partially recorded, and if you delete that before it does record then it won't bother you by trying again.

2. Use the Manual Recording (MR) option, the automatic software used for the "problem" then ignores the partial recording as MRs are left entirely up to the user. I would just add a few minutes to the end of the MR in case the scheduling is off a bit (similar to the use of safety nets for other types of recordings).

Quote:
It is even worse when watching a live rugby match. In this case the recorded portion is replaced with highlights of the entire game. If I wanted highlights I would use CU for this.
This is unacceptable, why is MC / SS not differentiating between Live and Highlights with the metadata???
I'm sure this will be investigated now, hopefully a Mod will post feedback in a few days.
Old 2017-07-22 , 10:51

I've added a suggestion re the desired ability to disable this automatic function in a thread in the PVR Decoders forum section - click here
Old 2017-07-24 , 08:46

@Mods - here's another complaint elsewhere about similar: Can we disable Explora1 auto replace/record?
Old 2017-07-24 , 11:13
Knows how to use a remote

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of this thread, Optimist. I would also really like to turn this extremely frustrating function off. I gave an example in that thread above where my partial recording of the penultimate TDF stage was replaced by a later highlights program incorrectly given the same name (ie no HL in the name).

Another example of the problem was during the football season, when I recorded one of the "Football Today" programs, on a Tuesday when they have British football journalists discussing the latest developments. I watched a bit of it on the Tuesday night, but when I went to watch the rest on Wed night it had been replaced by Wednesday's (completely different) show, probably because there was a few seconds missing due to one of those annoying "checking decoder" errors and someone hadn't labeled the shows correctly with different episode numbers.

I've also had movie recordings I was happy with replaced by versions with more problems. The reality is this function is only worth it if labeling and scheduling is always correct - which is sadly not the case, as surely even MC have to admit. Please allow us to turn this off.
Old 2017-07-24 , 14:08

Hi All,

This feature works as follows:

If a recording is stopped by the user, it will not find a repeat of that event.
If the recording is initiated after a recording has started, it will be treated as partial and a repeat will be scheduled.

Our understanding of your query is that you are not happy with the repeat being scheduled after starting a recording when the event has already started.

Thank you for logging this issue.
It has been escalated and we hope for a solution soonest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2017-07-24 , 17:40
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
It is even worse when watching a live rugby match. In this case the recorded portion is replaced with highlights of the entire game.
Hi MC Mpho,

Can you please confirm that the above issue has been noted though as it is a very serious flaw/problem? A entire match can't automatically be replaced with a highlights package - there has to be a distinction between the two??
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2017-07-24 , 22:05
Still gets up to change channels

Hi MC
I do not intend to be rude to you but your understanding of the problem does not make sense to me. In a nutshell what I am trying to relay to you is that when recording a portion of a live event for later viewing, the recorded portion is replaced with a re-broadcast of the entire event and not just the previously recorded portion. As mentioned also, a rugby match recorded in this way when viewed later is replaced with the highlights instead. I do not know any better way of explaining this situation and I hope that I have made it a bit more understandable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 2017-07-25 , 08:25

Hi Francet,

I do understand what the issue is here.
Yes, the query has been noted and logged accordingly.
Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Regards,
Mpho
Old 2017-07-25 , 08:28

Hi Krugie,

I have also noted your points and have escalated.
I will keep providing feedback on this query.