Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > DSTV Explora - Very disappointed
Old 2017-06-19 , 14:18
MultiChoice

Just to close this loop for everyone else following this thread - we are sending out our field services with a replacement decoder tomorrow to double check everything and install the replacement decoder.
Old 2017-06-21 , 08:30
Knows how to use a remote

Good Day

Thank you to all from Multichoice who have assisted me in resolving my Explora Issue

Thanks to MC Marietjie and MC Lindi as well as Tebogo and Roger

Roger from multichoice was at my house yesterday to install the replacement decoder

Initial signs indicate that everything seems to be working. Lets hope it stays this way

The hard drive is not making funny sounds and there are no hard drive error messages
Recordings appear to be working
Pausing and Rewinding is working
Still waiting for Box Office and Catchup to finish downloading to confirm this is fine
HDMI is working
Still need to test Ethernet Port

Thanks
Mark
Extraview 2 : Coming Soon
Cables : Many
Old 2017-06-21 , 08:31

I do have a question regarding the relaying of remote signals but I will start another thread for this
Old 2017-06-21 , 11:35
4K, baby!

I am curious as you say you've had numerous swap outs and all ended up giving you problems in the past? Now MC staff come, replace the decoder and all SEEMS to now be working fine?

This, to me, says one of two things. One they found something which was wrong with your set up or the settings on your decoder or two a very poor state of affairs when it comes to how the refurbished decoders have been repaired?

Can you give any explanation of why this latest decoder is working fine, and hopefully it continues to do so, while numerous others all failed?
Old 2017-06-21 , 12:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle bailey View Post
I am curious as you say you've had numerous swap outs and all ended up giving you problems in the past? Now MC staff come, replace the decoder and all SEEMS to now be working fine?

This, to me, says one of two things. One they found something which was wrong with your set up or the settings on your decoder or two a very poor state of affairs when it comes to how the refurbished decoders have been repaired?

Can you give any explanation of why this latest decoder is working fine, and hopefully it continues to do so, while numerous others all failed?
Well the technician from multichoice found no problems with my setup although I am not sure as to the level of testing in terms of testing things with mulimeters etc but in terms of all cabling and devices used (eg splitters) this was all fine

With regards to the Explora's my problems were as such
  • Original New Explora Model 1 - Electrical Damage - HDMI and Ethernet ports broken
  • Insurance Replaced Decoder ( not sure if new or refurbished) - HDMI port broke after couple months (+/- 3 months)
  • Insurance re-replaced Decoder (was told this time it was new) - HDMI port broke after some months (+/- 7 months)
  • Decoder I received from multichoice last week which was refurbished - Hard Drive physical failure Day 1
  • Current Decoder from multichoice which is said to be new is currently working fine
As for the quality of the refurbishments I would not be able to say. If the insurance were replacing with refurbished and multichoice with refurbished then all my problems have been with refurbished models
Old 2017-06-21 , 15:35
Changes remote batteries daily

HDMI is a funny thing... can be anything from the cable not well supported and 'hanging' in the port, to spikes (not sure what to call it) when cables are plugged in and out with power on. No moving parts like the HDD , so not much that can go wrong there...
100/50 Fibre (OpenServe/AH Capped)
------------------------------------------
DSD1110 in holiday mode
DSTV Mobile via Drifta WiFi (S5& iPad)