Old 2014-07-22 , 15:13
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Default Installation upgrade

Can anyone explain what is this new installation upgrade I need before end of august. I was told I need to upgrade my installation before end of august or I will not be able to view all the channels. I have an explora but I am not sure if I have a single lnb or twin lnb, how can I see the difference.
Old 2014-07-22 , 15:58
MultiChoice

Hi there, you don't have to do any installation upgrade before the end of August - we're simply applying minimum installation standards to NEW installations from 1 August onwards. Here is information we posted last week to our DStv website.

Minimum installation requirements for DStv service

Here at MultiChoice, we’re always improving our services and technology to give our customers the best experience. As you might have seen in recent media reports, we’ll be acquiring more satellite capacity which will come into use towards the end of 2015. When we start using the new satellite capacity, certain installations will need to be upgraded, to ensure that customers do not experience degraded service or even miss out on some channels.

With this in mind, we recently reviewed our minimum installation requirements for all NEW installations. There are a number of reasons why we ask for certain minimum standards:
  • A good installation means our customers get the best DStv experience without unnecessary interruptions
  • We want to save our customers money in the long run – installing correct equipment from the start means it will not need to be upgraded later when we start using the new satellite capacity.

These new installation requirements come into effect on 1 August 2014:
  • All DStv Explora and other PVR installations to be done with a quad LNB and 80cm dish
  • All XtraView installations to be done with a quad LNB and 80cm dish

We’re recommending that all new installations, even those with a single view decoder, are done with a quad LNB to make it easy to upgrade to XtraView or a PVR decoder in future.

Please note that these minimum standards only apply to NEW installations. Customers who already have DStv, do NOT need to modify their existing installation at the moment. We’ll communicate required changes in due course.
Old 2014-07-22 , 16:05

Thank you, I have a twin lnb, according to the technician he will be installing a qudo lnb. I also have extra view. Do you recommend me doing this upgrade as I alteady set money aside for it. Will this upgrade have any effect on my reception ?
Old 2014-07-22 , 16:06
MultiChoice

If you've already budgeted for it, then by all means shift to a quad LNB. This will future proof your installation, so you don't have to do future upgrades.

I'll leave the technical comments on the install to the experts who comment on that in this forum.
Old 2014-07-22 , 18:02
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
These new installation requirements come into effect on 1 August 2014:
All DStv Explora and other PVR installations to be done with a quad LNB and 80cm dish
All XtraView installations to be done with a quad LNB and 80cm dish
Aaah Marietjie ... have you ever experienced the Western Cape wind? If I had an 80cm dish would move my house 50m on an average Cape windy day
Old 2014-07-22 , 18:28
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
Aaah Marietjie ... have you ever experienced the Western Cape wind? If I had an 80cm dish would move my house 50m on an average Cape windy day
Look on the bright side, you might end up living in a nicer suburb at no cost.
Old 2014-07-22 , 20:10
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad95 View Post
Thank you, I have a twin lnb, according to the technician he will be installing a qudo lnb. I also have extra view. Do you recommend me doing this upgrade as I alteady set money aside for it. Will this upgrade have any effect on my reception ?
There are only 2 types of LNB that appear to comply with MCs new standard.

A QUAD LNB which is a UNIVERSAL LNB, with 4 ports that can be used to connect to ANY MC decoder,
OR

a QUATTRO LNB which can be used with the explora switch.

There is no such thing as "qudo" LNB.

If I were you, I would AVOID the QUATTRO LNB because it is not flexible enough to give you installation options at the moment.

Get your installer to tell you precisely what he is talking about, better still get the model number of the LNB and provide it here BEFORE you commit to the deal.

Also insist he gives you a drawing showing how he proposes to connect the LNB to your install.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2014-07-22 , 20:19

Thank you, I will do that. Qudo lnb was the term the installer used, I am sure he was meaning quattro. He said that it is 4 wires. I will first get all the facts before I commit. The thing that worries me all of this incorrect info I received was from a multichoice acredited installer. Here on this forum I receive the correct info I really appreciate everyone's feedback
Old 2014-07-22 , 20:32
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
Not if it is installed in such a way to be shielded from the wind
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15