Forum > Decoders > Installation > explora 2 signal and user bands help
Old 2017-06-09 , 12:48
Knows how to use a remote

I took the 2a to a dstv accredited dealer for testing. When it was first booted it was showing the same signal and quality as on my dish. The service assistant then reset to factory default, no hd format, to my surprise after scanning a smart card validation banner came up, after that period we then checked signal levels. They were a constant 70 strength and 100 quality across all tuners and channels including ch.111.

Brought the decoder home and connected and at first was getting 70/100 for T1, 90/100 for T2 and 88/100 for T3 across all channels including ch.111. After 10 minutes checked the signal again and back to my original dilemma.

I did note that the lnb used at the agents was of dual type going through a ms. So now I am considering replacing the LMX501 for a quad lnb with a ms. Then I could at least be sure of what the lnb is doing as my fsm does not read satcr quality only strength, I have been aligning with the legacy port on the LMX501

Any suggestions would be more than welcome.
Old 2017-06-09 , 15:43
Changes remote batteries hourly

70% strength would never have been acceptable, have to wonder why your dealer's setup would produce that when on your own install with issues it's mostly high enough (see earlier notes).

By "ms" you of course mean the ES (Explora Switches or newer Smart Switch), we don't call it a MS here to avoid confusion as a MS doesn't do as much and can't be used for Unicable needs.

You've got some good understanding and a few interesting ideas, but I suggest throttling back and wait for Geoff's guidance as this is a complex issue. He's only occasionally here on weekends.
I'm not planning to be around myself.
Old 2017-06-09 , 16:36

Here's my conclusions based on unfolding info and events to date;

Firstly, you need to ensure the dish and LNB alignments are at optimum.

Then there's little doubt that further fault analysis will be needed.
One issue is the age of the install as you've revealed. I'm concerned about state of cabling and connections, along with the health of the SLNB itself.
Further, your Explora could possibly not be delivering signal readings properly, this can happen.

Fortunately you're not having practical usage issues at this stage so you can afford to deal with this without strong urgency.
Old 2017-06-14 , 09:45

I have now replaced the cable between the slnb and the explorer. I also routed part of it differently, the previous cable was running parallel to the mains 220 vac supply cable in the wall, probably causing the low signal strength on tuner 1.

After some fine tuning of the dish, my signal levels are now at 100/100 for tuner 1 across all channels except ch.111 and ch.116 where the levels are at 100 strength and 61 quality.

Tuner 3 is at 88/80. Not sure if there is any more that I can do to improve tuner 3 signals?
Old 2017-06-14 , 09:55

Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by idm1 View Post
I also routed part of it differently, the previous cable was running parallel to the mains 220 vac supply cable in the wall, probably causing the low signal strength on tuner 1.
Indeed possible, though I wouldn't say probably.

Quote:
After some fine tuning of the dish, my signal levels are now at 100/100 for tuner 1 across all channels except ch.111 and ch.116 where the levels are at 100 strength and 61 quality.
Your best bet is to monitor for a few days, especially when it gets colder and around supertime.
Ch. 116 is another of those anomaly chs. so that's ok. I'll send you a list of them by PM (but you won't be able to reply, my PMs are off due to too many private enquiries :-/ ).

Quote:
Tuner 3 is at 88/80. Not sure if there is any more that I can do to improve tuner 3 signals?
That's still too far too low for Quality, Geoff's recipe should help further.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-06-14 at 10:04. . Reason: Correction
Old 2017-06-14 , 10:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
That will be absolutely fine, only Geoff's recipe may help further if not already used.
I have not received anything from Geoff yet. Have already received your pm, thanks.
Old 2017-06-14 , 10:08

Quote:
I have not received anything from Geoff yet. Have already received your pm, thanks.
Sure thing.

Unfortunately I had to alter the above answer, I had misread... :-(

Quote:
That's still far too low for Quality, Geoff's recipe should help further.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-06-14 at 10:16. . Reason: Typo in quote
Old 2017-06-14 , 10:10

Geoff has been delayed with working out the huge mass of info he's been asked for, I'm sure he'll get back to you as soon as he can.
Old 2017-06-14 , 10:20

Quote:
Geoff has been delayed with working out the huge mass of info he's been asked for, I'm sure he'll get back to you as soon as he can.
Thanks, I am patient.

The info you sent me is something good to know, the freq you mention for tuner 3 explorer 1 is different to the t3 freq for my explorer 2. Is this normal?
Old 2017-06-14 , 10:27

Quote:
Thanks, I am patient.

The info you sent me is something good to know, the freq you mention for tuner 3 explorer 1 is different to the t3 freq for my explorer 2. Is this normal?
Yep.
Explora 1 = 11634 HOR
Explora 2a = 11768 VER

Re the low tuner 3 sig quality, I'm still concerned that your Explora may not be reading it correctly - try your earlier readings-reset method with the Home Network screen and see if that doesn't "sort it out".