Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > DSTV Explora - Very disappointed
Old 2017-06-05 , 08:46
Knows how to use a remote

Default DSTV Explora - Very disappointed

Just over 2 years ago I opted for the DSTV Pricelock option and got the first model DSTV Explora as part of the deal

2 years down the line now and my 3rd Xplora has just broken

The 1st one the HDMI and Ethernet port stopped working after a couple of months. This was then replaced with a refurbished model which worked fine for a couple of months and then the same thing happened. After this I was given a new one which lasted a bit longer until yesterday when the same thing happened. The HDMI port went on this one too

From my point of view I dont think very highly of the quality of this decoder. I never had a single days hassle with my old Dual View or HD PVR 4. I have surge protectors etc connected to all my equipement so they are protected

In principle now I refuse to spend another R700 bucks to get a refurbished Xplora which will just break a couple of months later

I would really appreciate it if someone from Multichoice would contact me to make alternative arrangements and sort this out

Thank You
Extraview 2 : Coming Soon
Cables : Many
Old 2017-06-05 , 08:54
MultiChoice

Please can you send your details though to MC Lindi on Private Message, then she can arrange for someone to speak to you.
Old 2017-06-05 , 09:05
Changes remote batteries hourly

This is not a commonly reported fault on the forum to any degree, and the fact that it's happened three times suggests there may well be something else wrong. I suspect you could have a faulty TV that's damaging the Explora, or similar.
Old 2017-06-05 , 09:43

Each time decoder was replaced I used a difdifferent hdmi port on the TV. Also the TV used to be used with HD4PVR and it never had any hassles or faults
Old 2017-06-05 , 09:58

Which port doesn't say that the TV isn't faulty, it could affect all ports. The Explora is considered more sensitive although I wouldn't know in this respect, and the fault could have developed later.
Either way, something to consider and look into.
Old 2017-06-05 , 11:09
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeylis View Post
Each time decoder was replaced I used a difdifferent hdmi port on the TV. Also the TV used to be used with HD4PVR and it never had any hassles or faults
How does the HDMI cabling run? Is it in the same duct as any other cables?

Is the TV and the decoder fed form the same power socket or two different sockets maybe even on different circuit breakers?
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-06-05 , 11:34

HDMI cable is loose, connected between Xplora and TV

Have now had to connect the RCA cables to get picture again

TV and Xplora powered by same Multi-plug
Old 2017-06-06 , 08:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Which port doesn't say that the TV isn't faulty, it could affect all ports. The Explora is considered more sensitive although I wouldn't know in this respect, and the fault could have developed later.
Either way, something to consider and look into.
Wouldnt explain though why the HDPVR4 which is connect to same TV to another of the HDMI ports has never given a days hassle

And I have switched the HDPVR4 and Explora on all the HDMI ports on the TV at various points

Each time the HDMI port on the Explora would go I would immediately test the Explora on the HDMI port that the HDPVR4 was using to see if it was the port ( as I knew the port to which the HDPVR4 was connected was working but it would for the Explora). I would then also test the HDPVR4 on the port the Explora was connected to and it worked fine

I am now sitting at home with 2 Explora with the same fault where the HDMI port and Ethernet port no longer work. Everything else on the Explora's seem fine (tested via RCA video connection)
Old 2017-06-06 , 08:42

You're not getting my point, but let's not worry about further detail. It is merely a possibility, for instance there could be faulty voltages from the TV that the Explora is more sensitive to, posted to try help you to consider that there could be a problem elsewhere. Doesn't otherwise matter if I'm wrong or right.

EDIT: I wonder who one should go to if wanting to test all of this, any ideas Geoff?
Maybe MC are able to assist as part of their investigation.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-06-06 at 08:52. .
Old 2017-06-06 , 08:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
You're not getting my point, but let's not worry about further detail. It is merely a possibility, for instance there could be faulty voltages that the Explora is more sensitive to, posted to try help you to consider that there could be a problem elsewhere. Doesn't otherwise matter if I'm wrong or right.
Hi

I appreciate the suggestions and I do get what you are saying. Its just that there is nothing funny with my setup and the TV itself is no more than 2 years old itself ( doesnt mean it cant be faulty agreed)

Anyway Multichoice have indicated that they will send someone out to assess my setup rather than just replacing the Explora and it happens again after a few months