Forum > Content > Sport > World Cricket
Old 2017-06-15 , 17:22
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
A dream final for most people will be Pakistan vs India - lets hope this happen
Would also mean that the Proteas were unlucky to have been drawn in such a tough group.
Old 2017-06-16 , 14:24
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
A dream final for most people will be Pakistan vs India
I'm not so sure about that. There's always a lot of support for the underdog, so I think many people would have liked to have seen Pakistan against Bangladesh.
Old 2017-06-19 , 08:01

Well done Pakistan on winning the ICC Trophy by beating arch rivals India yesterday

Pakistan really showed up yesterday, they started off well with the bat and their bowling was first class, Pakistan was ranked 8th before the tournament started and they trumped by all odds. India was outplayed and out classed yesterday, being an Indian supporter, it was a eye sore watching the game yesterday but credit must be given to how well Pakistan handled the game from the very first ball. Who would have thought that the final will be contested between 2 sub continent teams who play on much slower wickets most of the times?

Well at least SA can be proud, another Pakistan coach being a South African
HDPVR 2P, 42" Samsung LED TV
-----------------------
BEDROOM 2 -
Phillips 42" LED TV, Can View Both The PVR & 2P
Old 2017-06-19 , 09:30

Quote:
Who would have thought that the final will be contested between 2 sub continent teams who play on much slower wickets most of the times?
One of my colleagues brought up the point that because they were only using three grounds, the later matches in the tournament were played on used pitches which maybe suited the subcontinent teams better.
Old 2017-06-19 , 10:51

Quote:
Well at least SA can be proud, another Pakistan coach being a South African
It's time we start keeping good coaches IN the country!

Well done indeed to Pakistan - in my wildest dreams never imagined such a 1-way result in Pakistan's favour!
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2017-06-19 , 11:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krugie View Post
It's time we start keeping good coaches IN the country!
Last good one we had was Gary, and Bob Woolmer before him. Although they also had decent captains
40Mb VDSL (ISP AH Capped Unshaped)
------------------------------------------
DSD1110 in holiday mode
DSTV Mobile via Drifta WiFi (S5& iPad)

Last edited by Luke7777; 2017-06-19 at 11:08. .
Old 2017-06-19 , 11:49
4K, baby!

David Lloyd, Bumble, was complaining about the pitch that was used in the semi final match between England and Pakistan. One of his complaints was that the pitch had been used three days before in one of the group games. The side playing in this game was Pakistan who therefore had an advantage going into the semi final of having played on this wicket which behaved very much like Pakistan were used to. He said that a new wicket should have been used for the semi finals.

However, I do believe that the final was played on a wicket that had not been used before so no excuses of that sort can be used as an excuse for India's capitulation. (Flynn -CHOKE!!!). Congratulations to the Pakistan side who played very well through most of the tournament and who, in my view, were worthy winners.

Proteas need a coach/manager who will be strict but fair and for CSA to start laying down the law to the players rather than the other way round.

Anyone have any comments on what I think was our "B" or "Reserve" squad going down by an innings and 50 runs to some English County side? IF this side was made up of our Reserve players then we are in big trouble going forward.
Old 2017-06-19 , 12:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle bailey View Post
Anyone have any comments on what I think was our "B" or "Reserve" squad going down by an innings and 50 runs to some English County side? IF this side was made up of our Reserve players then we are in big trouble going forward.
Not necessarily. South Africa use the A side as a means of trying out fringe players and youngsters with good potential. It's a way to see who can perform at a level above franchise cricket, and those who do then become options for higher honours.

But it's not as though the A side is going to replace the full side en masse. What will happen is that those performing for the A side will move into the test/ODI squad, generally initially as backup players, and only becoming regulars when a spot opens. As it's only a handful of players at a time who come up from the A side, I think the performance of that team as a whole is not always that important, especially since it's not always a well-balanced side - this one in particular looks a little short on batting.
Old 2017-06-19 , 14:08
4K, baby!

It's true that it's not going to be a case of replacing the current Protea side with eleven new players but what concerns me a little bit is that over the next couple of years we are going to have to look at replacing a fair number of the current squad. I'm guessing here, but I think that there are already a number who are in their early thirties? AB, Faf, Morne, JP and Amla to mention a few. These players are also the backbone of the current squad. We have Bavuma as one who could replace one of these but I'm not too sure just who else there is AT THIS TIME. Hopefully some on the outside looking in so to speak will take the step up and fill the gap.
Old 2017-06-19 , 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle bailey View Post
I'm guessing here, but I think that there are already a number who are in their early thirties? AB, Faf, Morne, JP and Amla to mention a few.
That's true - it is a bit of a concern that there are a number of players who are all close to the same age, so could all decide to go at the same time (e.g. after the next World Cup), and I think you can add Steyn and Philander to that list. But even though it's a number of places to fill all at one time, I think it's manageable.

Just off the top of my head, a test team without all those players could very well look something like the following:

Dean Elgar
Aiden Markram
Theunis de Bruyn
Temba Bavuma
Khaya Zondo
Jason Smith/Wiaan Mulder
Quinton de K0ck
Keshav Maharaj
Kagiso Rabada
Lundi Ngidi
Duanne Olivier/someone else (it might not be possible to pick both Mulder and Olivier because of transformation requirements)

Elgar, Bavuma, Rabada, De K0ck and Maharaj are obviously already regulars in the test side, and De Bruyn and Olivier are currently the next in line (although Olivier may be behind Parnell), so may end up getting some decent time in the side before any mass retirements happen. So while we could be losing a huge chunk of experience in one go, I think we're OK in terms of suitable replacements.