Forum > Decoders > Installation > Bad picture quality on certain channels
Old 2017-06-15 , 17:33
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

I am astonished that two installers, Space TV and MC badmouth and blame one another. Since getting an Explora last year, I have now had 4 Smart LNBs fitted

Both installers told me that Space were distributing dodgy Smart LNBs. Space told me the installer was talking cr*p and I should use their recommended installer instead. He came and said the one I had looked like it has been dropped, although I could see no marks. Anyway, this one lasted 5 weeks and I was getting "Set top box disconnect" messages and nothing more. MC told me that only a qualified and registered installer is permitted to install dishes or I will get trouble. Yet these two, who argued about the LNBs, are such, they tell me. A fellow, recommended by a friend came along, fitted another LNB and now all is ok. He spent an hour with his meter and protractor measuring everything. However, I see there is 98% signal strength and 31% signal quality, but the TV picture looks ok. I checked the angle of the LNB and it is correct for Cape Town

It seems to me that the system is subject to many shortcomings in that there is a main provider (MC), separate installers who tell you anything they like to get you to spend more money (one told me I had "inferior" cable and promptly replaced it with the same stuff with the same writing on it), the supplier of the LNBs who is aggressive when it comes to a return and will not hear that anything he sells is deficient

The end result of this is that the consumer has to keep paying for some convoluted product that is expensive, keeps breaking down and differs substantially from what is advertised

And I might add, no reply to the posts above. What a shambles! Disinterested call centre staff and a forum just for show

Last edited by chrisc; 2017-06-15 at 17:37. .
Old 2017-06-16 , 08:39
Changes remote batteries hourly

Chris, you've had really bad things happen to you in the time you've been on the forum. It's not the norm, and this part of the forum gets regularly attended to when needed - something that shouldn't be required as you're supposedly in good hands with the installers involved.
I suggest a PM with involved names and your contact details & a link to this thread to MC field Services in office hours, they will sort out any malpractices by the accredited installers.

As for the cables, if you still can you should check if the old cable wasn't worn or damaged in some places which can be normal wear and tear.

A signal quality of 31% is totally unacceptable. However the fact that it works, which should be impossible, suggests another problem which has been confusing things all along - I can only think that the decoder's reading ability may be faulty. Not a problem if everything remains in good working order now, as long as the professional setup with FSM (field strength meter) was done properly all should now settle down.

I'm away from the forum from sometime today so won't necessarily engage in anything further myself, but I've known MC FS & co. and MC Marietjie (who posted earlier) for a long time so can assure you you'll be looked after.
I too have had much criticism to post re services faults, but hardly ever on this side of things.
Old 2017-06-19 , 12:33
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
I am astonished that two installers, Space TV and MC badmouth and blame one another. Since getting an Explora last year, I have now had 4 Smart LNBs fitted

Both installers told me that Space were distributing dodgy Smart LNBs. Space told me the installer was talking cr*p and I should use their recommended installer instead. He came and said the one I had looked like it has been dropped, although I could see no marks. Anyway, this one lasted 5 weeks and I was getting "Set top box disconnect" messages and nothing more. MC told me that only a qualified and registered installer is permitted to install dishes or I will get trouble. Yet these two, who argued about the LNBs, are such, they tell me. A fellow, recommended by a friend came along, fitted another LNB and now all is ok. He spent an hour with his meter and protractor measuring everything. However, I see there is 98% signal strength and 31% signal quality, but the TV picture looks ok. I checked the angle of the LNB and it is correct for Cape Town

It seems to me that the system is subject to many shortcomings in that there is a main provider (MC), separate installers who tell you anything they like to get you to spend more money (one told me I had "inferior" cable and promptly replaced it with the same stuff with the same writing on it), the supplier of the LNBs who is aggressive when it comes to a return and will not hear that anything he sells is deficient

The end result of this is that the consumer has to keep paying for some convoluted product that is expensive, keeps breaking down and differs substantially from what is advertised

And I might add, no reply to the posts above. What a shambles! Disinterested call centre staff and a forum just for show
The SLNBS are all DSTV approved SLNBs with SATV labels on them. It is possible that Space TV could have got a batch of bad SLNBs though.

No, the fact that you have so many SLNBs going faulty points to another installation issue at your site that no one has diagnosed yet.

Lastly, the values you quote should mean the decoder should not work reliably. It all depends on the interference levels between channels, or the decoder/s you have are not measuring the values correctly, or that the decoders dynamic range settings are out --- There are a range of issues that installers just about all ignore and never get around to fixing.

Mostly this is because they do not have the insight to know what to look for when measurements do not make sense after an installation has been done. Or they do not know how to use their FSM properly, or, they do thing in the wrong sequence.

Next time I am in Cape Town and you agree, I will come and have a look and see if I can find what the problem is ....

Anyone on the forum prepared to let me have a so-called broken SLNB? I will find out what is wrong with it (if anything) very quickly.

And then Chrisc,-- You should be now know that the regular respondents to issues on the forum are all fellow clients of MC. We do not get paid anything for our efforts and do what we do because we want to and have the time. Sometimes we are just not available, or interested -- especially if the guy we are trying to help gets stroppy or does not provide us with the info we ask for .....
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15