Forum > Decoders > Installation > New Installation Advice Needed
Old 2018-01-09 , 14:16
Still gets up to change channels

Default New Installation Advice Needed

Greetings and compliments of the season to all.

I need some advice on my new installation.

I have a smart switch(24-1Z) in my fibre termination box. From the smart switch I have 4 X RG6 cables running to my server room. In the server room, I would like to connect my 3 Explora decoders. 2 are Explora 1 and the other is Explora 2. My understanding is that I can run the RG6 straight from the switch to the explora without a heatbeat cable. Please correct my if I am mistaken.

Now, I have 9 TV points in the house that are wired to the server room. 2 X Cat 6 cable(1 for HDMI and 1 for data) and 1 RG6.

The 9 TV points are as follows:
Main Bed
Bed 1
Bed 2
Study
PJ Lounge
Kids Playroom
TV Room
Guest Bed
Cinema

I know it might be an overkill of points, but when building I put in early as opposed to chopping and fitting later.

What are my options with regards a cost effective installation etc and how would I wire up the decoders?

Apologies if this has been asked before
Old 2018-01-09 , 19:01
Technical Myriad

24-1Z in the fibre termination box?
How is that switch connected to the antenna? With 4 cables going to a quad LNB?

Assuming you want all three decoders installed next to each other in the server room?
Or are you planning to install them in other rooms?

If they are all next to each other in one rack then the simplest would be to run a HB cable between the RF IN ports via a simple t-piece for the HB cable.

If the decoders are in different rooms then the HB cable could go via a the 24-1Z switch.

How do you intend distributing video and audio to all those viewing points and do you want to be able to control all three decoders from any of those rooms?
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2018-01-10 , 09:23

Apologies for the confusion. I have a fibre install. So I connected the 24-1Z where the fibre box is situated.
Best case is I would want to install all decoders in the server room. So do I use two t pieces to connect the 3 decoders?
Now my dilemma is how do I get the viewing to all the TV's? I have the CAT6 for HDMI distribution, but this will only work on a 1 to 1 basis.
I could use the RG6 but the quality is not that grand. I will be using the RG6 to control the decoders.
Old 2018-01-10 , 10:05
Changes remote batteries daily

For your distribution you're going to need something like these
100/50 Fibre (OpenServe/AH Capped)
------------------------------------------
DSD1110 in holiday mode
DSTV Mobile via Drifta WiFi (S5& iPad)
Old 2018-01-10 , 10:14

Thanks Luke. Any idea what they retail for? Assuming I will need a 4X8
Old 2018-01-10 , 10:36

No idea on the Soltech stuff. You can also look at HD Cabling My biggest problem with these are that I can't switch the matrix channels (between the 2 different decoders) remotely. Have to do on the unit. Maybe my installation is lacking something. Not a major issue, since my decoders are easily accessible, but it's something that you might want to check out.
DSD1110 in holiday mode
Old 2018-01-10 , 11:40
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Soltech is not a solution for the average man in the street. They have fantastic integrated matrix plus HDMI of Cat 6 solutions but are horrendously expensive. A 4x4 HDMI matrix is in excess of R 30 000. HD cabling have solutions which are not nearly as elegant but work just as well.
My HD cabling 4x4 matrix came with a remote so i can change form one PVR to the other remotely
Old 2018-01-10 , 13:22

Purchased (both) my matrix (es) from HD Cabling as well. First was a 4x4 which ended up being able to use only one output port at a time. Returned it eventually and got the 2x4 version (a lot cheaper). Been running fine mostly.
DSD1110 in holiday mode
Old 2018-01-10 , 13:32

The 2X4 looks like a much cheaper option. I can split the decoders to run 4 HDMI and 4 through RG6. Did you use the the HDMI to Cat6 convertors after the matrix?
Old 2018-01-10 , 13:45
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishM View Post
Best case is I would want to install all decoders in the server room. So do I use two t pieces to connect the 3 decoders?
Just one T-piece needed - a RF In connection goes via short RG6 cable pieces to each of the 3 connectors on the T-piece.

If you change your mind for any reason - note that the Explora 1's would each need a diplexer behind them to do the HB via the 24-1Z switch. (The Explora 2's have a built in diplexer.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishM View Post
I will be using the RG6 to control the decoders.
For that, connect all of the RF Out ports together and distribute via the household RG6 cable system. Depending on distance you may need a SLX splitter, else a 3x1 Splitter / Combiner known to be able to offer DC Pass on all legs and capable of carrying TV Link commands (or 2 T-pieces but that's not as reliable).
Make sure any TV's that make use of this RF connection without a TV Link eye then instead get a DC Block.
Power for this is only used from 1 decoder, so make sure the other two are set to Off.
The setting on all 3 Exploras should be for RF Out.
Under these circumstances, HB will carry on these ports so the above RF In combining arrangement is then not needed.

But some HDMI distribution equipment can include TV Link Eyes coverage so look into that as well.

That's all from me, not around much.

Last edited by Optimist; 2018-01-10 at 13:55. . Reason: Details