Old 2012-01-18 , 02:03
Changes remote batteries daily

Arrow UPS advice needed

Helloooo kind peeps,

I need some help from the those with their HD-PVR's, 1110 and LCD TV's connected to a UPS. Now I want to know the brand and model number you are using. The reason I am asking this on the forum is cause I will literally buy the exact model you recommend, without second guessing you.

Thanks in advance guys, really appreciate it .
"Humanity's most valuable assets have been the non-conformists. Were it not for the non-conformists, he who refuses to be satisfied to go along with the continuance of things as they are, and insists upon attempting to find new ways of bettering things, the world would have known little progress, indeed."
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"A good TV will make you feel like you're in a rainstorm, but a great Sound System will make you pull out your umbrella."
Old 2012-01-18 , 09:32
MultiChoice

Moved your thread to installation as it is a bit more relevant to that section than General.
Old 2012-01-18 , 09:54
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAVADO View Post
Helloooo kind peeps,

I need some help from the those with their HD-PVR's, 1110 and LCD TV's connected to a UPS. Now I want to know the brand and model number you are using. The reason I am asking this on the forum is cause I will literally buy the exact model you recommend, without second guessing you.

Thanks in advance guys, really appreciate it .
Hi

Depends on your budget. As long as it is an online UPS. I have an APC but a Mecer or MGE are fine too.

G

Last edited by gwalker; 2012-01-18 at 15:02. .
Old 2012-01-18 , 10:06

Sorry, bit off topic - with loadshedding looming again, how safe is it to run DSTV (and a LED TV) off a generator?
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2012-01-18 , 15:01
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krugie View Post
Sorry, bit off topic - with loadshedding looming again, how safe is it to run DSTV (and a LED TV) off a generator?
Looming. Had one last night....

Unless the generator is a true Sine wave, I will run it through an On line UPS. Offline UPS is just a switch to run off battery and Line Interactive will try smooth out spikes but will not give a true sine wave.

G
Old 2012-01-20 , 12:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krugie View Post
Can't say if it is "safe", but it works. I run 2 TVs and 2 decoders off my generator (equipped with a voltage regulator). If I however run the same set-up off the battery box, I suspect power is too weak because then only the primary decoder works (both TVs too), transmitting heartbeat, but the secondary decoder never receives the heartbeat.
Old 2012-01-20 , 12:20

Thanks for the replies! I also Googled a bit and I doubt I will try this with the generator I have access to since it is only a 2-stroke 950W. Seems a 4-stroke is the way to go.
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2012-01-21 , 23:57
Banned

Gwalker is right about an "online" UPS for best protection, no arguments about that. For areas where there's less severe problems or with a budget in mind a basic but decent computer UPS is better than nothing, but be warned that a severe disruption could render this choice useless as if without protection.
We use a Zixaa K600VA which cost R450 and deals well with fluctuations and keeps much of our equip. going for 5 odd minutes which is usually long enough for "normal" interruptions. In our case it's a 32" LCD, 2 of our decoders, a video machine, 2 DVD/HDD recorders, an alarm clock, cordless phone, modulator, and composite splitter. With the TV off it lasts much longer.

For generators, here's the advice we got from a good friend who is a very successful electrical etc. engineer for the mines (and developed and marketed his own gyrocopter a few years back);
The simple but not overdone solution is to add up all your equip. wattage needs and multiply that by 2.
So for example with this kind of need (not an otherwise useable, or ever an official conversion) a needed 1.5KW = a 3KVA generator.
Old 2012-01-22 , 18:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
Hi

Depends on your budget. As long as it is an online UPS. I have an APC but a Mecer or MGE are fine too.

G
What's the Capacity and what do you have connected to it?
"Humanity's most valuable assets have been the non-conformists. Were it not for the non-conformists, he who refuses to be satisfied to go along with the continuance of things as they are, and insists upon attempting to find new ways of bettering things, the world would have known little progress, indeed."
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"A good TV will make you feel like you're in a rainstorm, but a great Sound System will make you pull out your umbrella."
Old 2012-01-22 , 18:14

I am not a fan of direct generator power for electronics. A bit noisy and polluting also. Try solar solutions or the following http://www.pricecheck.co.za/offers/2...%2CBEST+PRICE/

.............check the product description on how much consumption power and time you will get for particular gadgets

APC are my recommended "Rolls Roys" of UPS sytems.

silent witness

Last edited by Tulani; 2012-01-22 at 18:18. .