Old 2010-11-29 , 10:12
Changes remote batteries daily

Question RF distribution advice needed

Hi,

Please, I need some advice on adding another RF TV point to my current setup.

Firstly, I have read the splitting and combining sticky and tried to search for a similar setup, but searching is a bit hard for this type of info as each setup has its unique challenges,

I have tried to upload a diagram, but I just keep getting a "Upload of file failed" error. I tried PDF & JPG formats, both under 100kb.

I have a SDPVR & HDPVR in the same room, connected RF OUT to RF OUT by means of a 2in -> 1out splitter (in this case a combiner). The output then goes to 2x 4-port SLX splitters in the roof from where it goes to 6 TV's, all with TV links. The main TV in the lounge (where the decoders are) is not part of the RF system as it is connected via HDMI & RCA cables only.
There is a BD player connected to the SDPVR RF IN for distribution on the same RF network, but I doubt if this will have any influence or relevance to the question.

The proposed new TV point is in a downstairs guest room, adjacent to the lounge and cable length would be max 10m between the new point and the decoders.
Though there is a spare port on one of the SLX splitters in the roof and there are other TV's on the same floor, the lack of ducting and distances between the spare port and other TV's make these options unfeasible.

I do not need the HDPVR's output (via RF) on this new TV point - it will only use SDPVR TV2 - which is a combo deal with SDPVR TV1.

How do I connect the new point to the setup without disturbing the HB signal between the decoders while still having the best possible RF signal on all the TV's and enough power to drive the TV links and SLX splitters

Do I:
1: Install an active 2 port SLX splitter just after the splitter/combiner between the decoders with one output going to the new TV point, the other going to the other SLX splitters in the roof? Will it be better if I add an external power supply to this splitter?

2: Replace the splitter/combiner between the decoders with another type of splitter (no idea as to what type to use) which will give me two outputs, while still combining the SDPVR + HDPVR RF outputs and allowing the HB to pass from the HDPVR to the SDPVR?

3: Split the SDPVR RF output before the splitter/combiner between the decoders with a splitter that will allow the HB to reach the SDPVR and give me the SDPVR's output only on the new TV point?

4: ?

Your expert advice would be greatly appreciated. I can't seem to get my head around this one with my knowledge of RF distribution and splitters.
I have talked to the installer, who did most of the original installation, but that only confused me more.

Thanks,
JG

Last edited by JG; 2010-11-29 at 10:14. .
Old 2010-11-30 , 08:08

Nobody?

Please, I want to get the supplies in Pretoria before I go down there this weekend.
I'm hoping to go the DIY path, if possible.

My best guess is option 1, but I'd like a second opinion.
Is it possible to give the TV Links too much power by adding an external power supply to one of the SLX splitters? I don't want to end up damaging anything.

Thanks,
JG
Old 2010-11-30 , 08:36
A big, eagle-eyed baobab.

I think everyone is waiting for Geoff to reply, maybe send him an email
Old 2010-11-30 , 08:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv G View Post
I think everyone is waiting for Geoff to reply, maybe send him an email
I don't not want to be presumptuous and PM or mail him the Q and take his willingness to share his knowledge for granted.

This issue is not exactly rocket science, but this time of the year I try to avoid all unnecessary admin and I'm in no mood for trial and error, especially if error is going to cost me R's.
You have no idea how much my brother had to hint and later openly nag me to get this new TV installed.

I could just get the installer out to do it for me, but the reply I got from my mail (with similar info) was not exactly confidence inspiring.
Old 2010-11-30 , 14:01
Technical Myriad

Sorry JG, will reply this evening, just drowning at the moment in work
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2010-11-30 , 14:16

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Sorry JG, will reply this evening, just drowning at the moment in work
No worries, Geoff.

Anytime before the weekend is fine, if you are willing to provide your input.

I'm battling to finish up on my side too, so I probably won't be able to do the shopping before Friday anyway.

Any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

My other option is going with a wireless AV transmitter (connected to the SDPVR TV2 RCA outputs), but I'm not a huge fan of those.
The cost of this option will probably exceed the cost of going with RF/coax with the only benefit being stereo sound, which is not much of a concern to me (probably because I won't be using this TV myself ).
Old 2010-11-30 , 16:19
Technical Myriad

HI JG,

As I understand your setup,

you already have a splitter used as a combiner, then a 2x4 SLX, feeding on one port another 2x4 SLX, giving you a total of 7 SLX ports, 6 in use, one spare, the 6 all powering TVLINK eyes.

The decoders are in one room next to each other.

The combiner is a DC PASS on both ports?

(1) The best would be to simply use the spare port on the SLX , if duct space would allow it.
(2) As the above is not possible,

(a) The least desirable would be to mess around with the HB cable, as splitting that signal would now add another 10 m of cable to the hB signal which may be too much.
(b) The next would be to place yet another SLX splitter in the chain, making 3
(c) a better would be to replace one of the 1x4 SLXs in the roof with a larger one - SPACE TV have 1x 2, 1x4, 1x6, and 1x8s -- use a 1x6, thta sorts out all the cables in the roof, and use one of the 1x4 s just after the combiner.
Old 2010-11-30 , 19:00
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG View Post
My other option is going with a wireless AV transmitter (connected to the SDPVR TV2 RCA outputs), but I'm not a huge fan of those.
The cost of this option will probably exceed the cost of going with RF/coax with the only benefit being stereo sound, which is not much of a concern to me (probably because I won't be using this TV myself ).
I had one of these but ran on the 2.4GHz frequency, the same as your Wireless LAN, it had three channel selection, but never could get it to work with my wireless and the neighbours without interference (i.e. have wireless TV or LAN not both). I see there was in the 5Ghz range, I recall it being a Samsung unit (but could be wrong) and having more frequencies. The range also seemed better from what I recall. I know the unit was a lost pricer than the Ellies one I have.

The advantage here is audio in stereo and a better video quality (without interference).

Else as Geoff mentions a bigger SLX splitters is an option, playing with HB signals etc but then you still stuck with RF.

Another option is to look at is an AV to CAT5 converters and run CAT5 to the other room, you will have to either use remote blaster/scream down the passage for remote changing though
This will give you SD video quality. You will need to CAT6 for HD, but you know to check HD Cabling site for the info on this. Maybe a call to them might not be a bad idea either...

G
Old 2010-12-01 , 06:47

Hi guys,

Firstly, thanks for the replies.

@Geoff,

I tried yet again to upload the diagram I made, without success.

In summary:
HDPVR + SDPVR next to each other, RF OUT to RF OUT with a splitter used as a combiner, DC Pass on both legs, as far as I know. The output then goes to a 1in->4out SLX splitter in the roof (3 TV's + TV Links connected) with one output going to another 1in->4out SLX splitter(3 TV's + TV Links connected, one spare port). The main TV in the lounge is not connected via RF. I also have a HDMI distribution system, but that's irrelevant to my question, so I need not elaborate on that.

I went with 2x SLX splitters for two reasons:
1. They did not have stock on any larger splitters in Mossel Bay/George.
2. The layout of the system is better suited to two splitters to reduce cable length to the farthest TV's.

The picture quality is as good as can be expected from coax/RF, so I'd rather not mess with the current layout at present, unless I really, really have to. Someone once said that if it's not broken, don't fix it...

Though the ducting would allow for another cable from the second storey/roof, I would not like to use the spare port on the splitter as I plan to use it for another TV when I enclose the upstairs patio. The ducting has preciously limited space and I would prefer to keep what's left for future proofing (more LNB cables, network cables, HDMI, etc.).

Would it then be OK to place another 1in->2out SLX splitter after the combiner, as described in my first post, option 1? Would it be OK to use an external PSU for this splitter, out of fear that there won't be enough power to drive all the TV links and 3 SLX splitters? Can I damage anything if it (the PSU) is not really needed?

@Graeme
Though your suggestions are good ones, I really have no need for better-than-good-RF picture quality on the new TV point or even stereo. It's only a entry level Samsung 32" in a guest room and won't be used all that often.

I am using a fairly decent AV sender in Pretoria at the moment, but I find it to be very temperamental. It also does not like the microwave or vacuum cleaner all that much. I quite happily co-exists with my Wi-Fi though. If I had the option, I'd replace it with a coax point any day.

I'm waiting for an all IP/CAT6 solution as available to hotels and complexes now, but that's for some time in the future. At present, I'd be happy with another decoder(s) added to the Xtraview system, as C4 hinted at.
Old 2010-12-01 , 15:04
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG View Post
Hi guys,

@Geoff,

Would it then be OK to place another 1in->2out SLX splitter after the combiner, as described in my first post, option 1? Would it be OK to use an external PSU for this splitter, out of fear that there won't be enough power to drive all the TV links and 3 SLX splitters? Can I damage anything if it (the PSU) is not really needed?
No I do not think it would damage anything by providing separate power for the SLX splitters on the contrary it relieves the strain on the decoderts because there is a maximum power that the decoder can provide via the RF out ports.

Normally, it would be a RF quality issue --- three SLX splitters in series with each other. = why i suggested simplifying and removing one of them still staying with the two only.

It is worth a try - seeing the impact on quality by putting in another 1 X 4 SLX splitter immediately after the combiner. Powering this one would then provide power to the other 2.

I would then put in 2 DCB's in both line to the decoders because power from the decoders is now not needed at all.