Old 2017-08-12 , 12:21
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sKuZz View Post
I think you need to take the rose tinted glasses off. I've been avoiding cinemas not because of the ticket prices but because of the cost of popcorn and drinks which are stale most times. The ads are just a way of collecting additional revenue and I don't have a problem with them on live TV (especially sport) but when it's on catch up it's a diff story as I expect (demand) that it's ad free.

There is no other service like dstv in SA that you can make a side by side comparison because of the Monopoly they've built over time. To say that fees will go up if they don't do ads is also foolish. Look at showmax (same company and another revenue stream using the exploited licenses) which they charge R99 for multiple device use with loads of content and ad free where we pay R800 for one device. It's all about the $$$ and exploiting us consumers and like I said earlier it's driving a wedge for us consumers and pushing us in the direction of alternate means.

Simply put, the mods need to take the comments to their research teams and make the customer happy to ensure a sustainable business well into the future.
Someone please give this individual a Bell (or a Coke, whatever tickles your fancy)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 2017-08-12 , 12:52
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
I think you need to take the rose tinted glasses off. I've been avoiding cinemas not because of the ticket prices but because of the cost of popcorn and drinks which are stale most times. The ads are just a way of collecting additional revenue and I don't have a problem with them on live TV (especially sport) but when it's on catch up it's a diff story as I expect (demand) that it's ad free.

There is no other service like dstv in SA that you can make a side by side comparison because of the Monopoly they've built over time. To say that fees will go up if they don't do ads is also foolish. Look at showmax (same company and another revenue stream using the exploited licenses) which they charge R99 for multiple device use with loads of content and ad free where we pay R800 for one device. It's all about the $$$ and exploiting us consumers and like I said earlier it's driving a wedge for us consumers and pushing us in the direction of alternate means.
If you are comparing the loads of ShowMax content to DSTV content then you are the one that need to take the glasses off - you get what you pay for. I want current movies and - more importantly - series. You are under no obligation to keep/use DSTV.

Do you think there are no additional costs involved in making content available on CatchUp?

And you are not paying R800 for one device - you can view on up to 5 devises for that price.

I'm not saying I love (or want) ads - but 30 seconds is not going to kill me - especially if I can walk to the fridge and grab another beer during that time....
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2017-08-15 , 15:48

I don't like the ads either but it's not a deal breaker for me - yet. It probably will be when the ads become longer or more of them, and especially if they disable FF as they have the skip.

The thing I dislike the most though is the channel logos as they are so distracting. I understand (just about) the broadcaster's argument about them on live TV (they should still be much, much smaller) but what is a good reason for them to be there on CatchUp?

C'mon Mods, please take this suggestion to the powers that be. And if forumites agree with me please add your voice to this plea.
Old 2017-08-15 , 16:32
Changes remote batteries hourly

The attitude to ads is very subjective. As a teenager I used to insist on always muting the sound with live TV, which annoyed quite a few in my family and that had me wondering if they were certifiable
I've since mellowed ;-)

I think most agree that as long as it doesn't interrupt any CU content it's tolerable. But... we've already had an exception - Fox insisting on that being a condition and many here swallowed it just to get them to supply CU
Where were some of us when that thread was going on??
Old 2017-08-15 , 16:42
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekG View Post
The thing I dislike the most though is the channel logos as they are so distracting. I understand (just about) the broadcaster's argument about them on live TV (they should still be much, much smaller) but what is a good reason for them to be there on CatchUp?
+1

However I can't see them taking them away altogether as it is an advert for their channels. Some might not care though, there's a couple of channels who don't always or ever use a logo on their CU supply.
Old 2017-08-15 , 17:05
Knows how to use a remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krugie View Post
If you are comparing the loads of ShowMax content to DSTV content then you are the one that need to take the glasses off - you get what you pay for. I want current movies and - more importantly - series. You are under no obligation to keep/use DSTV.

Do you think there are no additional costs involved in making content available on CatchUp?

And you are not paying R800 for one device - you can view on up to 5 devises for that price.

I'm not saying I love (or want) ads - but 30 seconds is not going to kill me - especially if I can walk to the fridge and grab another beer during that time....
I bet you also pay the R35 extra for box office because it's current? The point with the showmax reference is that it's the same content as with Netflix, etc less the ads because it's paid for. Their whole pitch was no ads in the beginning.

I am under no obligation to keep DSTV but it is the only legal option to get sport and I prefer to stick on the right side of the law. I just don't prefer money hungry corporates sacrificing product quality to boost revenue numbers.

From a cost perspective there are no additional costs for catchup as it is part of the business model and an evolved feature. R800 for one device R85 for every other... How petty is that. For the 5 extra you need an internet connection which with the streaming altetnate would work out cheaper all incl.

I said I don't mind the ads in live TV (still disagree with that as well but can tolerate it) but on catch up it should just be the standard show with the disclaimer at the beginning. The current system forces the ad (can't skip) which is wrong.

On channel logos I'm ok so long as it doesn't directly interfere with the viewing experience.

Last edited by sKuZz; 2017-08-15 at 17:22. .
Old 2017-08-16 , 09:02

Quote:
On channel logos I'm ok so long as it doesn't directly interfere with the viewing experience.
But it does - me for one. In dark scenes that huge blue "M" for example is very distracting.

Some people are bothered by it, some like yourself not. If you are not bothered by it and MC remove it you won't even notice it is missing. Those who are bothered by it will be happy. Win-win.

If MC insist on having logos on CatchUp I would appreciate understanding their logic as to why they are necessary.
Old 2017-08-16 , 10:14

Quote:
I don't like the ads either but it's not a deal breaker for me - yet. It probably will be when the ads become longer or more of them, and especially if they disable FF as they have the skip.
They can put all the ads they want in the world as long as they bring back the ability to skip through them, let us not trivialise R844

Quote:
Logos are more important on On Demand media to curb against piracy. This way its easier to track the source and the correct rights holder.
Old 2017-08-16 , 10:53
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
I bet you also pay the R35 extra for box office because it's current?
No I don't - I wait for movies to be shown on DSTV.

Quote:
From a cost perspective there are no additional costs for catchup as it is part of the business model and an evolved feature. R800 for one device R85 for every other... How petty is that. For the 5 extra you need an internet connection which with the streaming altetnate would work out cheaper all incl.
I am referring to additional costs to DSTV. They pay extra for content they make available on CatchUp - it does not come for free. And neither is it free to transmit CatchUp content via satellite to your decoder. They are most likely already loosing a lot of advertising revenue on Live TV because of people preferring CatchUp - they are going to recover costs somehow/somewhere.

If the 30 seconds really irks you that much, wait 2 years for the series to appear on ShowMax.
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2017-08-16 , 16:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock4us2 View Post
Logos are more important on On Demand media to curb against piracy. This way its easier to track the source and the correct rights holder.
I don't see how that helps to track the pirate. But assuming you are correct, why does it need to be so obtrusive?
A better way of doing it would be to occasionally fade up and down a small unobtrusive logo. Perhaps even in a different area of the screen each time.
This is similar to what the studios used to do for the movies shown on flights some years ago.