Forum > Value Added Services > DStv Catch Up > Game of Thrones not 5.1 DD
Old 2017-07-31 , 10:22
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Iouldn't agree more. Their response or lack thereof has been nothing short of a disgrace. It's been more thanTHREE weeks already. Maybe the team is in Westeros themselves. I no longer have any faith or trust in MC and I'm sick and tired of having to post the same problems and go through all the same rubbish over and over again. Please stop playing us for fools MC.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
Old 2017-07-31 , 13:10
Changes remote batteries daily

And, I'm guessing, it's still being advertised as DD ....
Old 2017-08-01 , 11:29
MultiChoice

Folks I profusely apologise - I've had to kick several proverbials to get a clear answer and some action on this. The team are busy fixing ep 1-3 so that it will go out in Dolby 5.1 and will ensure it is in 5.1 from ep 4 onwards.

I'm still waiting for a proper explanation on what happened and why our internal quality control did not pick it up. Suffice it to say there are some serious repercussions here with the relevant disciplinary linked to it, and some processes being seriously reviewed.

This should not have happened in the first place, and you should not have had to wait so long for a resolution. I can only apologise for your experience.

Last edited by MC Marietjie; 2017-08-01 at 12:38. .
Old 2017-08-01 , 12:17
It was a dark and stormy night.
(But because his installation was sound, his DStv reception was perfect.)

Bravo MoM. Good to see some action being taken
Old 2017-08-01 , 12:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
Folks I profusely apologise - I've had to kick several proverbials to get a clear answer and some action on this. The team are busy fixing ep 1-3 so that it will go out in Dolby 5.1 and will ensure it is in 5.1 from ep 4 onwards.

I'm still waiting for a proper explanation on what happened and why our internal quality control did not pick it up. Suffice it to say there are some serious repercussions here with the relevant disciplinary linked to it, and some processes being seriously reviewed.

This should not have happened in the first place, and you should not have had to wait so long for a resolution. I can only apologise for your experience.
Thanks very much. Please can your kicks land such that DD isn't advertised on catchup unless it's a 5.1 soundtrack.

That might help with understanding and confusion on both ends.
Old 2017-08-01 , 13:08
MultiChoice

So for those of you who are interested in the technical reasons why this happened - and why it was still advertised as 5.1 - see below.

The Catch Up team at M-Net followed the same process for Game of Thrones as they did for American Gods which was in Dolby 5.1. At the front of both of these shows, there was an additional 5 second age sensitive warning included. The sound on this warning was in Stereo, and the programme audio would then be in Dolby 5.1.

When it was processed through the various servers, the technical metadata that was picked up (to transcode to your Explora) was that the audio is in Stereo for the duration. This means that the entire audio of the file was then transcoded to Stereo.

This is why they're reviewing the quality control process between transcoding and when you see it in your lounge. This is also why it was still advertised as 5.1, as they were under the impression it is in 5.1

Last edited by MC Marietjie; 2017-08-01 at 13:45. .
Old 2017-08-01 , 13:32

Thanks for advising and for the explanation MoM. As you mentioned, this should have been picked up and fixed a long time ago but hopefully some lessons have been learnt....
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2017-08-01 , 17:30

Quote:
When it was processed through the various servers, the technical metadata that was picked up (to transcode to your Explora) was that the audio is in Stereo for the duration. This means that the entire audio of the file was then transcoded to Stereo
Thanks for the update. BUT, if the the technical metadata indicated that the file was to be transcoded to stereo, why did the same metadata put the Dolby Digital icon on the EPG?

That's also a concern!
Old 2017-08-02 , 08:33
MultiChoice

The EPG process is separate from the programme transcoding process, which is why the metadata differed.
Old 2017-08-02 , 08:41

Quote:
So for those of you who are interested in the technical reasons why this happened - and why it was still advertised as 5.1 - see below.

The Catch Up team at M-Net followed the same process for Game of Thrones as they did for American Gods which was in Dolby 5.1. At the front of both of these shows, there was an additional 5 second age sensitive warning included. The sound on this warning was in Stereo, and the programme audio would then be in Dolby 5.1.

When it was processed through the various servers, the technical metadata that was picked up (to transcode to your Explora) was that the audio is in Stereo for the duration. This means that the entire audio of the file was then transcoded to Stereo.

This is why they're reviewing the quality control process between transcoding and when you see it in your lounge. This is also why it was still advertised as 5.1, as they were under the impression it is in 5.1

Fascinating this explanation was. Thanks for the detailed explanation

Explora