Forum > Value Added Services > DStv Catch Up > Explora Catchup vs Online Catchup
Old 2015-04-29 , 21:16
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Default Explora Catchup vs Online Catchup

Heya Nic,

Hope all is well.

So on the Explora i have 17 movies listed under Catchup. Online though there's a heck of a lot more. Am i missing something?

Apologies if this was already covered in another thread.
Old 2015-04-30 , 07:53
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uelmaree123 View Post
...... So on the Explora i have 17 movies listed under Catchup. Online though there's a heck of a lot more. Am i missing something? ...........
Hi uelmaree, are the 17 Movies you see already on the Explora itself and NOT available online (Cactch-up + ) content. I suspect so?

I am seeing over 100 movies alone, (plus a mass of series and other content) as part of the catch up+ downloadable library. Only a few movies on the Explora itself; less than 20, I've not counted. ("Rambo 4" is one on the Explora and about to expire, also "Escape Plan" are these among your 17?)

So, if you are only seeing the content that has been downloaded to your Explora via the satellite, have you fully set up your Explora for internet-based services? You give us no clue in your post?

1) Is the Explora connected to the internet?
2) Does the "connectivity checker" report 2 green ticks?
3) Have you enabled "Catch up plus" under "connected services" in the user preferences menu?

Only if yes to ALL the above will you see be able to see and download the mass of online content from your Explora.

Cheers, K.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2015-04-30 at 08:07. .
Old 2015-04-30 , 09:41
MultiChoice

Quote:
Heya Nic,

Hope all is well.

So on the Explora i have 17 movies listed under Catchup. Online though there's a heck of a lot more. Am i missing something?

Apologies if this was already covered in another thread.
Did Sandtonman answer your question?
Old 2015-04-30 , 10:58

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies and apologies for not supplying more info.

So my Explora is not connected to the Internet.
Yes, Rambo and Escape Plan are listed under the 17 movies on my Explora's Catchup.
So my Explora is not set up for CatchUp Plus.

1) Does CatchUp on an Explora only hold/offer less than 20 movies at a time (without CatchUp Plus)?

2) If I had to connect my Explora to the Internet and enable CatchUp Plus, I'm guessing a movie would first need to be downloaded before I'm able to watch it which may be 2 - 3 hours download time right? (Which would suck because then it's not Video On Demand)

3) OR do movies get streamed through the Explora when watching CatchUp Plus content?

Thanks guys
Old 2015-04-30 , 11:08
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies and apologies for not supplying more info.

So my Explora is not connected to the Internet.
Yes, Rambo and Escape Plan are listed under the 17 movies on my Explora's Catchup.
So my Explora is not set up for CatchUp Plus.

1) Does CatchUp on an Explora only hold/offer less than 20 movies at a time (without CatchUp Plus)?

2) If I had to connect my Explora to the Internet and enable CatchUp Plus, I'm guessing a movie would first need to be downloaded before I'm able to watch it which may be 2 - 3 hours download time right? (Which would suck because then it's not Video On Demand)

3) OR do movies get streamed through the Explora when watching CatchUp Plus content?

Thanks guys
See this thread item 9 for how it all works.

2 interesting points when you read the thread referred to above:

(1) Catch Up plus content uses the same disk partition as customer recordings so, you will need to watch the % fill figures and delete items when watched. I presume as soon as a title expires it also releases the space back into the pool.

(2) There are 2 options, watch now after a 30second delay, which is effectively VOD, and download, which means wait until download is completed before viewing.
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.
Old 2015-04-30 , 11:46

Thanks Geoff. That thread about covers it except for:

1) If CatchUp and CatchUp Plus is now combined, how will I know which content requires an Internet connection and which doesn't? Obviously I can click on something I want to watch and see if the 'watch now or download' pop-up appears (internet required) OR if it just plays (no internet).

I'll tell you why I ask...Scenario: it's the end of the month, my internet is almost capped (I'm on a 100gb package) and I only want to watch/browse the Catchup content that is pre-downloaded via my dish (no internet) so that I don't reach my cap. Can I do this without clicking each movie and looking for the pop-up?

2) Streaming on an Explora: if I do use the VoD option, I see that there is only a Standard Definition (which is cool for me, I don't need HD streaming) but how much data/hour does that equate to approximately? I recently downloaded The Wolverine into the Dstv Desktop Player and the 2 hour movie was an 850mb file. These are approximate usages of streaming listed on Netflix's site:

Low (0.3 GB per hour)
Medium (SD: 0.7 GB per hour)
High (best video quality, up to 3 GB per hour for HD, 7 GB per hour for Ultra HD)

So which category do you think that Explora streaming fits into because I really don't want to be using double the amount of data for streaming compared to downloading?

Thanks
Old 2015-04-30 , 11:56
Changes remote batteries hourly

1. Items requiring downloading have a cloud icon next to them, but if it's in a folder you need to enter that folder first to see them.

2. It's roughly 700 to 800 MB per hour of content (if my memory serves me correctly).

Last edited by Optimist; 2015-04-30 at 12:03. .
Old 2015-04-30 , 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
1. Items requiring downloading have a cloud icon next to them, but if it's in a folder you need to enter that folder first to see them.

2. It's roughly 700 to 800 Mb per hour of content (if my memory serves me correctly).
Thanks Optimist.

Is that 700/800mb for streaming sizes or downloaded size or do you think that it's the same sizes for either on the Explora?

Reason I ask is because as mentioned earlier, for Dstv Desktop Player, The Wolverine was an 850mb file and it's a 2hr movie so approx 400mb for an hour. Now for streaming it's double that amount
Old 2015-04-30 , 12:11
Changes remote batteries hourly

Sure thing. Both the Explora's streaming and downloading are the same size.
The quality is pretty good so worth it IMO, and it's basically the same as your Netflix figures for SD.
Old 2015-04-30 , 12:18
Technical Myriad

I cannot help further as I do not have an Explora ...

But so far this is what I have gleaned and remember from other posts.

(1) MC uses a technique they call "adaptive bit rate" to determine the best data rate to use depending on your specific connection. (MC has confirmed this technique is not used on the Explora)
(2) AFAIK, all CU is effectively a download, and stored on your local HDD until you delete it .. All that happens with the watch now option is it allows you to start viewing before the download is complete.
(3) Most movies seem to be about 700 - 800MB.

Look for a post by Simon, for better info on this subject.

Well this is what I could not understand when such a fuss was made about "combining" CU and CU+ on one screen, but it appears that the "cloud" tells you which are which.

I do not think we should be thinking in terms of the word "streaming" when trying to understand the CU + service -- Others may wish to clear up what is meant by "streaming" and how it would apply to cu+.

Lastly, my original thought on CU+ was " Why pay for a download via the Internet when you can get the service via a broadcast, which you are already paying for?"

I have never understood the concept or the benefits of CU you anyway. ------
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.

Last edited by Geoff D; 2015-04-30 at 12:38. . Reason: added clarification.