Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > Ads over programmes on BBCE (120) - again
Old 2013-07-15 , 23:28
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Default Ads over programmes on BBCE (120) - again

The recurring problem of ads being run over programming resurfaced on BBCE (120) during Friday's (2013-07-12) new episode of Casualty at 16h20. There were the usual two breaks, beginning and ending with the channel ID; however, in between these, about half way through the programme, there were are least two ads with no channel ID. Checking the repeat today (2013-07-15) at 12h55 confirms that approximately two minutes of the programme were lost to these improperly inserted ads, beginning about 21 or 22 minutes in (there were no breaks at all in the repeat today, so timing the scenes was simple).

It is annoying that this problem has happened again and again over many years on BBCE - one of the Premium-only channels - and there seems no prospect of a solution. It is particularly annoying that there should be a problem again with Casualty, just one week after part of a storyline was missed by viewers, because (as confirmed on the BBC South Africa website) the storyline was continued in Holby City, which is not available in ZA.
Old 2013-07-16 , 09:37
Forum Queen (gets her subjects to change her remote batteries daily.)
[Dear Twitter: Forum Queen is not a MultiChoice employee.]

I brought this under their attention and they asked that you voice your query on their website.
bbcsouthafrica.com/contact/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (32.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 2013-07-16 , 09:55
Changes remote batteries hourly

Wot a cheek, they have the complaint now, or is it too much bother for them to click the link...
Old 2013-07-16 , 14:35
Changes remote batteries daily

it seems it's not just BBCE that adds ads to shows, also a problem with History

Every so often, I like to stick my head out the window, look up, and smile for a satellite picture.
Old 2013-07-16 , 22:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurica View Post
I brought this under their attention and they asked that you voice your query on their website.
bbcsouthafrica.com/contact/
I had done that already, on Saturday, and had received no reply as of the time of my query here. They have now posted one, but it was not there when I raised the issue here.

In addition, the problem was with local commercial ads played over the programme (e. g., one was a mobile phone ad featuring Lionel Messi); not with BBC channel ads broadcast from the provider. As I understand it, these commercial ads are inserted by DStv, so it is DStv's issue as much as BBC Worldwide's.

Last edited by Terrence; 2013-07-16 at 22:35. . Reason: typo
Old 2013-07-18 , 14:11
MultiChoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
I had done that already, on Saturday, and had received no reply as of the time of my query here. They have now posted one, but it was not there when I raised the issue here.

In addition, the problem was with local commercial ads played over the programme (e. g., one was a mobile phone ad featuring Lionel Messi); not with BBC channel ads broadcast from the provider. As I understand it, these commercial ads are inserted by DStv, so it is DStv's issue as much as BBC Worldwide's.
You are right Terrence, some of the ads are inserted by us but we get cues from the channel. In some cases cues are not accurate and in other cases they may urgently need to get back on air whilst we are running on a cue given earlier.

This is a tricky one and I can assure you that we are constantly engaging the channels giving us cues for ad insertion.
Old 2013-10-01 , 17:52

Default And again

There was a problem at the start of the episode of Death in Paradise (series 2, episode 6) aired around 20h00 on Friday, September 27th. The preceding ad break overran (with local commercial ads, the last of which was for a detergent), so that viewers did not see (1) the usual "Murder/Mystery" intro, (2) the content warning for the episode, and (3) the first scene and start of the second in the episode itself. The last of these was evident from the repeat early on the morning of Saturday, September 28th.

This meant that not only did viewers miss the start of the episode, but there was no advisory to viewers about violent content (which is probably not necessary for regular viewers, but I believe is expected by the BCC).

As in the previous case mentioned here, this is an issue involving both BBC Worldwide (and I have reported it to their site) and DStv.
Old 2013-10-01 , 18:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Thami View Post
You are right Terrence, some of the ads are inserted by us but we get cues from the channel. In some cases cues are not accurate and in other cases they may urgently need to get back on air whilst we are running on a cue given earlier.

This is a tricky one and I can assure you that we are constantly engaging the channels giving us cues for ad insertion.
I understand it is DStv's priority to deny all responsibility. But this excuse simply won't wash in this case: Casualty is a scheduled programme, and on the day (indeed, in the whole week) in question, there was nothing on the channel that would require the programme to "urgently ... get back on air". In addition, the problem was not with advertisements overrunning, but with extraneous advertisements being aired in addition to the two properly inserted breaks, in a programme that always, since it has been in this timeslot, has had the same number of breaks. This is evidently an excuse recycled from the chronic problems with live broadcast channels like BBC World News and Sky News, but does not apply to the cases I've raised in this thread.

If DStv and / or BBC Worldwide, as a company, is or are unable to operate the cue system competently for scheduled, pre-recorded programming, then one or both needs to admit its inability and stop using it. Customers are paying enough for DStv Premium, and do not appreciate being unable to watch programmes on a Premium-only channel due to one or both of the companies' technical failings.

Last edited by Terrence; 2013-10-01 at 18:07. .