Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > DStv Products > HD PVR > Advice on connecting second TV to HD PVR (no HD)
Old 2009-12-18 , 14:33
Still listens to the wireless

Question Advice on connecting second TV to HD PVR (no HD)

Hi

I just upgraded my seriously old dstv decoder to HD PVR, replacing the old LNB with a SATCR LNB and have managed to get a picture. *high-fives himself*

Two problems however -
1. I have a second TV in my bedroom previously connected to the RF OUT on the old decoder - connecting to the RF OUT on the new decoder does not send a picture to the second TV. Am I missing something obvious or simply doing it completely wrong? Just to mention that I'm not expecting to receive HD on the second TV obviously. Is this setup possible without extraview, and if so how do I do it?

2. I can only receive a handful of channels - Mnet, MM1, MM2 and some others. 170 ain't included, with the same error message saying "Signal not found - contact MC". From logical deduction I'm assuming it's either a faulty LNB, bad wire (3 years old) or misalignment of the dish/ lnb. Having no equipment I've arranged for an installer to come out and measure it for me since I don't believe I have the tools, or am I again missing something?

Any help appreciated (before I pay this installer to come check it out for me, after having gotten this far.)

Thanks
Stickguy
Old 2009-12-18 , 17:00
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickGuy View Post
Hi

I just upgraded my seriously old dstv decoder to HD PVR, replacing the old LNB with a SATCR LNB and have managed to get a picture. *high-fives himself*

Two problems however -
1. I have a second TV in my bedroom previously connected to the RF OUT on the old decoder - connecting to the RF OUT on the new decoder does not send a picture to the second TV. Am I missing something obvious or simply doing it completely wrong? Just to mention that I'm not expecting to receive HD on the second TV obviously. Is this setup possible without extraview, and if so how do I do it?
You probably need to retune your second tv to the hd pvr as the hdpvr probably is using a different frequency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickGuy View Post
2. I can only receive a handful of channels - Mnet, MM1, MM2 and some others. 170 ain't included, with the same error message saying "Signal not found - contact MC". From logical deduction I'm assuming it's either a faulty LNB, bad wire (3 years old) or misalignment of the dish/ lnb. Having no equipment I've arranged for an installer to come out and measure it for me since I don't believe I have the tools, or am I again missing something?

Any help appreciated (before I pay this installer to come check it out for me, after having gotten this far.)

Thanks
Stickguy
I don't have a SatCr LNB myself so the others might have more suggestions but check that you have not connected the hdpvr to the legacy port of the LNB but rather the SatCr port (SatCr LNB's have 2 ports, 1 legacy for old decoders and 1 satcr port for the HD PVR) to tuner 1 of the HD PVR. Also check in the network settings (in advanced options pin code is 9949) of the HD PVR that "Other" is selected for "Satellite" option and "SATCr" is selected for LNB Mode option.

Last edited by gambit; 2009-12-18 at 17:10. . Reason: added extra info for getting to advanced settings
Old 2009-12-18 , 18:22
Still listens to the wireless

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit View Post
You probably need to retune your second tv to the hd pvr as the hdpvr probably is using a different frequency.

I don't have a SatCr LNB myself so the others might have more suggestions but check that you have not connected the hdpvr to the legacy port of the LNB but rather the SatCr port (SatCr LNB's have 2 ports, 1 legacy for old decoders and 1 satcr port for the HD PVR) to tuner 1 of the HD PVR. Also check in the network settings (in advanced options pin code is 9949) of the HD PVR that "Other" is selected for "Satellite" option and "SATCr" is selected for LNB Mode option.
Thanks gambit. As suspected I was being a bit of a chop. Tuning the 2nd tv solved problem 1, and regarding point 2, when swapping the lnb I didn't realize the rotation or angle was of any significance and so turned it slightly thinking less water would be able to get into the connections as it didn't seem ideal at the old position. And since I was able to get a picture, well...

Amateur mistakes really. But I can't claim to be skilled in this science ;-)

Thanks for the advice nevertheless gambit, much appreciated.

Last edited by StickGuy; 2009-12-18 at 18:29. .
Old 2009-12-18 , 18:35
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Talking

Excellent. I'm glad you came right. Sorry I forgot to mention that the skew angle (lnb rotation in the lnb holder) could also be a culprit.