Forum > Decoders > Installation > Self-Install - Upgrade to Smart LNB & Explora
Old 2015-08-27 , 17:56
Still listens to the wireless

Default Self-Install - Upgrade to Smart LNB & Explora

Hi guys.

I currently have a very old setup with just a DSD 1110 decoder.

I want to upgrade to an Explora. My dish is already huge (would guess at least 80cm, but definitely bigger than most peoples' dishes).

I'm just installing to one TV, which is also just one wall away from the dish, so this should be a very easy install if I can get a couple of questions answered:
  • When replacing the LNB, is it as simple as a remove old one, fit new one? Meaning the dish doesn't need re-aligning or such?
  • The smart LNB seems to have outputs for many cables, if possible I want to run just one to my decoder. Is it possible? What is the best way to setup and future-proof the setup in terms of number of cables from LNB to decoder??
  • Where can I buy the cable (unicable I think they call it) that I run from my LNB to my decoder?

Don't want to pay someone for installation if it's simple, jsut scan't seem to find a how-to DIY thread anywhere.

Thanks in advance
Old 2015-08-27 , 19:36
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpelser View Post
Hi guys.

I want to upgrade to an Explora. My dish is already huge (would guess at least 80cm, but definitely bigger than most peoples' dishes).

I'm just installing to one TV, which is also just one wall away from the dish, so this should be a very easy install if I can get a couple of questions answered:
  • When replacing the LNB, is it as simple as a remove old one, fit new one? Meaning the dish doesn't need re-aligning or such?
  • The smart LNB seems to have outputs for many cables, if possible I want to run just one to my decoder. Is it possible? What is the best way to setup and future-proof the setup in terms of number of cables from LNB to decoder??
  • Where can I buy the cable (unicable I think they call it) that I run from my LNB to my decoder?

Don't want to pay someone for installation if it's simple, jsut scan't seem to find a how-to DIY thread anywhere.

Thanks in advance

Hi

If you mark the LNB Skew angle (the angle in which the cables comes out) and replace with the SmartLNB, it should be fine.

The Unicable is a system of using 1 physical cable from the SmartLNB to Explora, so the cable is simply RG6 cable.

If your cable is old, it is best to replace it else you can try with the existing cable.

In terms of getting the SmartLNB aligned correctly, ensure the signal quality on Tuners is above 90%, especially Tuner 3. Rotating the LNB slightly will help. However an installer with a FSM may be the best to get the best signal quality
Old 2015-08-27 , 20:28
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpelser View Post
Hi guys.

Thanks in advance
Welcome to the forum. A DIY install is really very simple to do, and with patience you can get results that are as good and sometimes better than an installer with all the aids at his disposal. the secret is take enough time to do the job properly.

The antenna you have is probably an old 1 m or 1.2 m antenna, which is excellent and it will probably not need any adjustments.

Make sure you mark the exact position of the old LNB in the LNB support bracket. The important point is to ensure the skew angle (rotation of the LNB in the bracket) is maintained, and that the cables connected to the LNB are in the same position as they were with the old LNB. Use the cover seam on the old LNB and mark its position on the bracket, and place the new LNB in the same position. This should at least ensure on switch on, that the decoder will lock to the satellite and then if nec small adjustments can be made.

Also try and ensure that the new LNB is placed in the same position depth wise in the bracket.

Now replace the cable.Use RG6 cable but get the black UV protected cable if possible. Make off the connectors properly. However, you could use the existing cable in the shorter term, as is, provided it shows no sign of cracked outer insulation and there is no sign of bits having flaked off, as well as no rust present in the connector on the LNB side.

Only one cable is required for the Explora. The other connections are only used IF you intend installing more than one decoder and combining them under XV.

What you could do is:

Replace the LNB first, and keep your existing decoder working. Simply connect the existing cable to one of the two Legacy ports on the SLNB. Switch on the decoder and see if you are still able to receive all your services. Write down the signal and quality values on the old decoder for at least one VER ch and one HOR ch. After the LNB replacement, see if the same or better values are now present on the older decoder.

THEN, you can go through the process of installing the Explora, and moving the cables to the correct port on the SLNB and on the Explora. Port A on the SLNB should be used when connecting to the Explora, leaving all other ports free, BUT make sure you leave the terminations on ports B,C, D.

If you want, send me a PM and I will send you a full description of how to go about making adjustments to the skew angle and alignment of the antenna, if required.
You could also install a second cable for the Explora and keep the other decoder working under XV, It costs nothing more and it will give you a second TV environment.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2015-08-27 at 20:39. .
Tags
explora, self_install, smart lnb