Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > DStv Products > XtraView > Old Dual View decoder + HD PVR & Xtraview Compatible?

Old 2009-09-28 , 15:50
Still gets up to change channels

Default Old Dual View decoder + HD PVR & Xtraview Compatible?

Hi...I currently own a Dual view decoder "not SD PVR" and want to purchase a HD PVR. Will these two decoders be compatible for extra view?

The agent over the phone didn't sound to sure....LOL.

Kind regards.
Old 2009-09-28 , 15:57
A big, eagle-eyed baobab.

Nope, the only combos are
HDPVR + SDPVR
HDPVR + HDPVR
HDPVR + 1110
1110 + 1110
Old 2009-09-28 , 16:01

Smile

Damnit! ~ My worst fear, no i have to discard of a perfect working decoder.

My friend has a SD PVR and HD PVR with xtra view and i believe one can't buy the SD PVR's anymore....

It means i would have had 3 viewing enviroments which would have been perfect for our home... Two viewing enviroments will be a bit of a frustration as currently is. Thanks.
Old 2009-09-28 , 16:26
A big, eagle-eyed baobab.

I was gonna say try sell the dual view & buy a 1110 but then you will have only 2 viewing. Kick someone out the house, or tell them they can record the shows they want to watch & watch them when its convenient for others
Old 2009-09-28 , 18:29
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
Damnit! ~ My worst fear, no i have to discard of a perfect working decoder.

My friend has a SD PVR and HD PVR with xtra view and i believe one can't buy the SD PVR's anymore....

It means i would have had 3 viewing enviroments which would have been perfect for our home... Two viewing enviroments will be a bit of a frustration as currently is. Thanks.
buy a HD and 1110, connect and implement XV, and then use the dual view for the "easy view" bouquet = 3 viewing environs, one restricted to all the SABC channels and a few more.
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.
Old 2009-09-29 , 08:13
Changes remote batteries daily

You can also try to get your hands on a second-hand SDPVR decoder. They are scarce (people tend to hold on to them) and expensive, but they are out there.
Old 2009-09-29 , 09:04
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
Thanks for all the info...

Geoff D...No offense, but there is only **** on the SABC chanells LOL...

Will sell the damn thing eventually.
(1) At least the dual view is in use until you sell it! - see what i have done with the DSD 660 I have.

(2) Over this last week end, there were two cricket games on and 2 rugby games on plus ( I think) 2 soccer games, all of interest to different people in my home.

HD + SD + DSD = view 4, record 3 ( the cricket games were on SABC)
everone was happy!
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.
Old 2009-10-05 , 11:24

Angry

This is exactly the question i wanted to ask ... and the answers are a real bugger!
I was actually looking forward to laying out the cash for a HD PVR, but now it does not seem at all worth it.

It seems as if the existing Dual view customers have been scr&$#@. While it may seem ok for previous single view customers and the SD PVR fortunates are ok, Dual Viewers are left out in the cold!

I have been paying an extra R60 for Dual View for 3 years and now all we get from MC is a kick in the teeth with no option to continue with at least the same service without having to throw away a perfectly good decoder and pay more for a 1110 or SD PVR.

Last edited by aliensa; 2009-10-05 at 11:51. .
Old 2009-10-05 , 14:54
MultiChoice

2 x 1110's are < R1000. DV decoder was >R1600 - so for view 2, you are better off.

HD's are about R3600 if you shop around and should have a Christmas special - add a 1110/ 1131 and you have view 2, record 2 for >R4000.
The SD PVR was cheaper, but did not have HD or record 2 - and a much smaller record space. It was also a dead-end software-wise (will probably get it's last feature update later this year)

So yes - the DV and SD PVR are dead but the new technology will prove to be better in the long run.
Old 2009-10-05 , 20:30
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by : ) C4 View Post
So yes - the DV and SD PVR are dead but the new technology will prove to be better in the long run.
Actually, there is nothing to replace the SD PVR concept. It's brilliant and I continue to kick myself that I didn't get one while I could.

The HD-PVR + 1110 does not equal an SD-PVR in terms of viewing functionality. If I did it all again, I would have bought the SD-PVR and waited two years for the cheaper HD decoder.

Hindsight.