Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > UNWANTED SD PVR REBOOT
Old 2017-11-18 , 03:39
Knows how to use a remote

They are not dodging the fact they are reveling in fact that they are deliberately causing continuous reboots to force purchase of their Explora. How is it possible that SDPVR subscribers can have days of no reboots then suddenly they are attacked with numerous reboots 3 reboots within 20 minutes of each other. A pause then more reboots anything up to 8 in a 24 hour cycle.
If this happened in the EU or USA they would be facing massive claims.
They could fix this but won't because they can get away with this practice in SA.
We signed a contract when we purchased the SDPVR decoders and guess who is defaulting on the contract DSTV our debit orders and money is accepted every month and we are not receiving the service we are paying for.
Disgust is a polite word for DSTV service.
Old 2017-11-18 , 19:03

Yep...pretty unusable the past few days. Takes about 6 or 7 reboots/rescans before I can start watching again.
Got an sms reminder about my annual once off payment coming up for renewal end of the month.
You can guess what I told them.
Easier to download a ton of stuff and watch off usb now...my days of battling with this **** are almost over.
Old 2017-11-19 , 18:30

You guys really ****** it up good and proper this time, didn't you?
After weeks of showing you could actually make it work if you like....it has been days of endless reboots, few of the rescans actually completing.
Takes on average over an hour to get a picture, and then a while later..another reboot.
So while I still have a few weeks of paid access, I am going to make things as miserable as possible for MC.
You don't get to mess up your customers lives and free time without any backlash.
Old 2017-11-19 , 18:57
Changes remote batteries hourly

Careful, everyone regular knows that most of the good content isn't available here from any other legal source and MC are obliged by contract to assist with prosecutions and have done so in the past.

There's nothing more that we can do, doubt more than a couple of people even read this thread still, and I'm sure MC aren't trying to torture us - just going about changes they feel they need to make which then affect us. Sad ending to a great machine
Old 2017-11-19 , 19:40

Let them come...I dare them. They can contact me, and I'll tell them how to get hold of me. Oh...and I am now on reboot number 23, about 2 hours without getting a single successful reboot. My evening is shot, my morning is screwed, and I am paying for something I am not getting.
Old 2017-11-20 , 12:08

Further MC feedback in case anyone's missed it: About the SD PVR
Old 2017-12-06 , 10:14
Technical Myriad

Default The SD PVR: How to keep it working for a bit longer.

The SD PVR is now totally compromised by one simple thing. MCs new CAS process violates a basic and very simple axiom in digital satellite TV systems by not ensuring that absolutely NOTHING ever affects power integrity to the LNB ports. This single factor IS responsible for ALL the issues that those with SD PVRs have with keeping their services working.

4 times a day thereabouts MC send authentication data streams to all the decoders. Something in that stream interrupts the power feeds to the LNB ports which in turn causes LNBs and Multiswitches to lose signal, which in turn interrupts the authentication process, which then leads to all the reboots we experience. Until (if ever MC chooses to find what is causing this, if they ever do bother) this will continue to happen. Now whether this is deliberate or not is no longer of any relevance -- the effect is the same.

MC seems to have forgotten the basics of how to operate and run multi-tuner decoders with Multiswitches whether internal or external. These devices depend on stable uninterrupted power supplies.

The only way now for users with SD PVRs to continue to get some use out of their decoders is to externally stabilise the power feed to the TWIN LNBs and Multiswitches they may have.

Those with MSs with external power ports can supply the MS with external power, which will mean the LNBs will not lose power when the decoder power feeds fluctuate. That will reduce the number of reboots dramatically but will not completely resolve the issues caused by the CAS systems.

Those user with an old (partly faulty) SD PVR available and a 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 MS can use that old decoder as a PSU by simply removing the HDD and the SC and then just leaving the decoder in its boot up phase. The SD PVR powers up the external LNB ports on start up and provides a stable 13V and 18V power source capable of 300mA which is enough to keep a TWIN LNB and MS up and running and stable.

That should provide a few more months of use out of the working SD PVR or at least allow users to view any recorded content on the decoder before shutting it down and replacing it with a new decoder.

I plan to create another thread with the background to all of this for all decoders.

Suffice to say, that as long as MC produces decoders with more than one tuner in them and internal multiswitches and diplexers, they better go back to the basics and sort out the power feeds to the these internal components and hence the LNBs connected to them. It does not matter what type of LNB it is. Power integrity and continued reliable connectivity and reception of the satellite signal is the heart of creating a reliable digital satellite system. The longer MC ignores this problem, the more issues they are going to have with ALL their decoders, NOT only the older ones. I predict that we will see an increase of almost inexplicable issues with the Explora models, and even the single view decoders. The new single view decoder model 4137 is rumoured to have 2 tuners available. That decoder WILL also start exhibiting the same issues IF MC does not ensure stable power to those tuners and the internal MS associated with the two tuners.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-12-06 at 10:21. .
Old 2017-12-06 , 18:31

For the sake of completeness, there is one other thing that could help but in this case only with watching recorded or CU content on the SD PVR uninterrupted, as it will also suspend live viewing or recording.
I suspect Geoff may have put it one side as it's too finicky. Still, here it is for those wanting to try it... that's if anyone is still trying.

Simply disconnect the VER & HOR LNB inputs while watching content. It's believed that may prevent authentication and/or EPG update procedures from causing reboots when you least need them.
The problems;
This is untested theory only, an interrupting warning re loss of connection or software demand to complete an authentication need is possible, not expected to happen quickly if it does.
Disconnecting and later reconnecting LNB feeds while the power is on can lead to problems, but in my experience this is rare if done carefully. Do not cause a short on the LNB ports!
If without signal for long enough, the decoder could get stuck and need a software reset of some sort.
Old 2017-12-09 , 22:04
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Well I am so glad this all over for me. New Explora standing on top of dead SDPVR. No problems at all.

Only took nearly 4 weeks from initial starting of signing up process to final installation.

Such a waste for perfectly working SDPVR before all this software developer/development nonsense began.
Old 2017-12-10 , 11:38
Technical Myriad

Physically over for me as well. Have watched all the content on the SD PVR in peace without any infuriating reboots and are ready to deactivate and scrap the SD PVR and re-activate the spare Pace 4 tuner I have.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15