Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > SD-PVR set to RIP
Old 2017-11-20 , 23:10
Still gets up to change channels

Default SD-PVR set to RIP

Hi, I wonder if Geoff or someone can help me out here.
I have asked this question here before but the understaning part is a bit difficult and it has now become urgent.
I am a pensioner and cannot afford installaion crews to come and modify my wiring or what have you.
In 2007 when I bought my SD-PVR, I also retired that year and did the installation myself.
This is what we have and would like something similar.
We have a 90cm dish with dual LNB. These 2 cables run to the SD-PVR in the lounge.
TV1 is fed via video to the lounge TV.
TV2 (RF) out the back of the decoder runs into the ceiling into a 2 way (power thru) splitter.
One side goes to the bedroom and the other side to the kitchen.
Each of the kitchen and bedroom TV's has a dongle that goes in series with the RF input socket to enable the TV2 remote control to work.
Now this has worked flawlessly for 10 years and never have we had a moments trouble with the SD-PVR.
Now we need to change this lot as there in no point in watching the decoder rebooting 50 times a day.
I mean we cannot even watch a recording while the decoder rescans.

So let me explain my current needs as things change when you get old.
Nobody watches the lounge TV anymore except me when there is a F1 GP on, so a PVR type decoder is not necessary in the lounge.
However we do need the bedroom and kitchen TV's to have access to recordings etc as we have now.
We have no interest in all the other catchup or whatever stuff that is available.

We have considered the Internet but our ADSL here is so bad that even YouTube is a joke.
Can you please explain what I need to do as remember, I need to do it myself, and will I need another sim card or LNB or whatever.

Thanks in advance.
Old 2017-11-21 , 07:51
Changes remote batteries hourly

To get you started;

1. Are you sure you don't want PVR access in the lounge? Without it you couldn't pause or rewind the sport.

2. It may help to be more specific about how independent the viewing environments need to be. For instance, when you watch sport then which TV does your better half use when needed?
Whatever the needs, it's usually solved by having the 2 decoders you'll need next to each other, which can still be in the lounge, and then distributing the easily combined signals to the other rooms. Existing wiring may be good enough for that depending on its lengths, age and condition, but more is needed if you want to distribute any HD quality signals beyond the lounge.

You'll need to upgrade the LNB to deal with new Hi Band frequencies coming, it's then mostly just marking the skew angle of the existing LNB first.
Which replacement to choose will depend on your decoder choices.

Most would go for the Explora(s). This thread details current price advantages some of which is specific to this week: #BlackFriday Specials
For a non-PVR decoder you would want the 4136 or 4137 HD Decoder.
If budget is a bigger concern then second-hand decoders could be used, always a risk though. The 2P is a good HD PVR option and the 1131 or 1132 a good non-PVR SD option.

That's it from me, Geoff or someone else will follow-up with the details and connections with you.
Old 2017-11-21 , 11:38

Thanks for the quick reply Optimist.
Regarding the recording etc in the lounge.
No need for that, I only watch F1GP and if I need to record that I'll use the Explorer or whatever in the bedroom.
Pausing etc is not needed as most racses are becoming very boring
Rugby, cricket, soccer or whathave you (except IPL highlights) I have no interest in.

I see about the 2 decoders in the lounge.
The part I do not understand is once you in bed and you wish to change channels or whatever, do you now need to get out of bed and trudge down to the lounge ?

And yes, the Black friday specials is the part I'm watching, R899 for a Explorer, I can afford that, maybe even 2 if I touch the ou vrou for a loan
Old 2017-11-21 , 12:14

Sure thing :-)

I'm still here so will help further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProAsm View Post
I see about the 2 decoders in the lounge.
The part I do not understand is once you in bed and you wish to change channels or whatever, do you now need to get out of bed and trudge down to the lounge ?

And yes, the Black friday specials is the part I'm watching, R899 for a Explorer, I can afford that, maybe even 2 if I touch the ou vrou for a loan
Your TV Link Eyes (what you called a dongle) will still work and now with both new decoders, so no need to get up.

Ok, so let's presume you'll get away with 2 Exploras
(A non-PVR although ok for the lounge use still may not suit all your needs for watching in the other rooms, so good choice IMO).

You'll want a Smart LNB (SLNB), and when ready you'll need to change one of the Explora's User Band Indexes and their frequencies. You'll be using two of the SLNB's Unicable outputs.

Note that Exploras are more sensitive so your SLNB and dish alignment could need tweaking. Geoff is usually available to help with that via PM within a few days.
Tuner 1 signal strength should be 80%+ and signal quality 90%. Please check that with both of the following channels: 262 and 405.

The rest is based on RF distribution with just one better quality connection to the lounge TV. Shout if you want help with distributing HDMI signals.

The main difference is that you won't always use the same decoder for recording, but this setup arrangement to follow allows either decoder to be watched in any room. The only small problem may be the desire to both watch the same recording on the same decoder and start that at different times in different rooms - no longer possible, it must be watched at the3 same time... hardly likely to cause any concerns with just 2 people.

Purchase a SLX splitter from any related supplier, for example www.hdcabling.co.za , connect the RF Outputs on the Primary and Secondary Exploras to its inputs and the 2 outputs will go to the distant rooms.
(I'm presuming you'll connect one or both decoders to the lounge TV with the video (AV) connections or the HDMI connections.)
The SLX also amplifies so that should help with the RF distribution quality.
Note that the 2 decoders will need to use 2 different RF channel numbers, at least 2 apart and interference free. The lower UHF numbers are usually best.
Will be easiest to just set up one decoder first and change its RF channel.

The TV Link Eyes shouldn't need any adjustment but you will need to power on that setting in the one Explora's menu and see that it's set to off in the other.

The supplied remote controls - one will need to be changed with its decoder from Mode 1 to Mode 2. Spare remotes are fairly easily available, I get mine from HiFi Corporation.

About the only other thing is to get the MC Call Centre to enable the decoders and set up the XtraView (XV) arrangement. Each Explora will have its own supplied new smartcard (s/c).
Old 2017-11-21 , 12:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Purchase a SLX splitter from any related supplier, for example www.hdcabling.co.za , connect the RF Outputs on the Primary and Secondary Exploras to its inputs and the 2 outputs will go to the distant rooms.
Can just be one output and that still split in the ceiling with your existing RF splitter.
Generally it's better to just use one splitter if possible though.
Old 2017-11-21 , 12:47

Forgot to mention the HB (heartbeat) for XV - I'm presuming you'll end up with two Explora 2A models, they will automatically also link the HB via the SLNB, so no extra cable required. But in this case the usage of RF and these connections with it would have also done the trick.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-11-21 at 13:20. . Reason: Detail
Old 2017-11-21 , 12:54

Wow, what an interesting answer, thank you Optimist.

Ok, just a quick questions or 2 here while you still around (hope so).
I like the idea that my current TV Eyes 'dongles' will still work.
I had a discussion with my wife in that Dual View or whatever it is called now is not a major requirement at all as I only watch DSTV for around 6 hours a month, basically the F1GP as the run ups and qualifting I watch on my PC in my study.
So if we only have 1 Explora and split the output to the other 2 TV's then we can still change channels, right ?
My wife asked what is the R85 a month for, is it so she can use the recorder or is it for the dual view as she needs the recorder.
Also the SLNB, is that just a change over from the current LNB or does it have different connectors etc.
Regarding the fancy splitter, LOL... originally MC advised me to get a splitter from Ellies which cost me an arm an a leg and guess what, the picture in the kitchen was fuzzy and it was not my connections.
So I phoned our local installer and they said just join the cables together and you will only experience a 6 dB loss (instead of 3 dB) and as the SD-PVR puts out 10 mv, thats means still 5 mv at each TV, well it's been like that now for 10 years and works like a bomb
Old 2017-11-21 , 13:23

Don't miss post #6 above, if still considering 2 decoders after this discussion.

(BTW, I am going out now after this post edit...)

Quote:
So if we only have 1 Explora and split the output to the other 2 TV's then we can still change channels, right ?
Yep, no problem accessing all functionality.

Quote:
My wife asked what is the R85 a month for, is it so she can use the recorder or is it for the dual view as she needs the recorder.
It's for either, or both.. in other words it pays for whatever you want as far as XV and / or harddrive (HDD) usage goes. You can also change your mind anytime about if you want to use XV as well.

Quote:
Also the SLNB, is that just a change over from the current LNB or does it have different connectors etc.
Straightforward, same type of connectors.

Quote:
Regarding the fancy splitter, LOL... originally MC advised me to get a splitter from Ellies which cost me an arm an a leg and guess what, the picture in the kitchen was fuzzy and it was not my connections.
So I phoned our local installer and they said just join the cables together and you will only experience a 6 dB loss (instead of 3 dB) and as the SD-PVR puts out 10 mv, thats means still 5 mv at each TV, well it's been like that now for 10 years and works like a bomb
Not recommended, but if it works...
With only one decoder the SLX's joining factor is not needed, and with 2 decoders a simple T-Piece connector may well do, but then you're losing out on the amplification which could be needed as the Explora's RF is not as strong. You'll have to see as you go.

If getting a second decoder and it's a non-pvr HD Decoder, more will need to be explained as it changes a few things. But most of all, then avoid the 4137 as it doesn't easily work with RF, you'll want an older 4136 model instead.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-11-21 at 14:43. . Reason: Clarity re the R85 fee and the SLX splitter
Old 2017-11-21 , 15:48
Changes remote batteries daily

Totally OT, but I remember the OP from the MyWireless days He was THE man ....
100/50 Fibre (OpenServe/AH Capped)
------------------------------------------
DSD1110 in holiday mode
DSTV Mobile via Drifta WiFi (S5& iPad)
Old 2017-11-21 , 17:51

Thanks a ton for all the info Optimist, I think I'll go the single Explora for the time being and if I 'expand' I'll come back to this forum.

Hello Luke, yes those were the days, then it all turned into a Titanic