Forum > Customer service > Customer service > Comedy of errors although not so funny!
Old 2015-03-16 , 11:02
Still listens to the wireless

Default Comedy of errors although not so funny!

On Fri 13th (I doubt this played a role) I got home to find a 'hard drive error' on my primary decoder PVR. I phone the call centre and am advised they close at 19:00. Unplug everything and rush through Fri evening traffic to make it just in time.
The call centre is almost empty and I manage to get help right away. A quick test is performed and I am advised the decoder needs to be swapped out at a cost of R510. This does not seem unreasonable so we proceed. The chap assisting me asked if I brought the smart card, which I hadn't, however he said it would be no problem and all I must do is call the call centre when I get home and they will clear the error 107 code.

I left and much to my dismay when I got home and called the call centre I was advised that they cannot clear the error 107 code and that I should have received a new smart card with the decoder! No PVR available that evening but thankfully my extra view worked and the family could watch TV.

Sat morning I returned to the customer centre and when I explained to the receptionists that I was in fact returning due to an error by their staff, I was told it didn't matter I must wait in the Saturday morning queue. I demanded to speak to a manager on duty and eventually I was directed to an open counter.
An extremely polite lady helped me however it took swapping out to another decoder, two smart card swaps and about 45 mins to eventually get the PVR working. The lady assured me that all was ok and everything would work fine.

I got home and connected the new decoder and all was well with the main PVR. Saturday early evening my kids alerted me that the TV in the bedroom was not working (extra view). I checked all the settings and they were as before so I called the call centre. After approx. 20 mins of attempting to relink the decoders I was told that they would escalate to the advanced technicians at extra view and I would be contacted within 35 mins. After an hour I called back and various apologies later was transferred to extra view technician.
The technician and I were on the phone for more than 35 minutes however she was unable to sort the matter out. I was advised that there was a problem that has been going on for the last week and that their technical dept. were still busy with it and I should wait as in all likeliness this would come right on its own.

Well, after first being promised a 35 min turnaround and then being assured a 24 hour fix I am writing this on Monday morning, almost 72 hours since my initial problem and guess what....

What I would really like to know is if DSTV will be crediting my account (as well as all the others that are apparently experiencing the 'waiting for communication from primary decoder' problem) for the lack of service on my extra view. We wont worry about the two trips to Randburg or the 90 minutes plus of phone calls to 011 289 2222....

I again escalated this telephonically this morning but as I am at the office (I somehow have to earn money on a Monday morning to afford DSTV) I cannot be assisted, I must call again when at home. DSTV/Multichoice cant send out a technician to assist a now more than irate customer?
Sorry DSTV/Multichoice but this is completely unacceptable. I am on a premium package with you and have been inconvenienced more than enough over the last 3 days, I expect a senior representative of your customer service department to call me with an acceptable solution before close of business today.

Regards,

L. Ambrosi
Customer No. 35184794
Old 2015-03-16 , 11:38
MultiChoice

Hi there, apologies for this service you've experienced. I've asked our senior service team to get in touch with you to address your issues.
Old 2015-03-16 , 12:03

The saga continues..... I receive a call from Masego (call centre) who advises me that there is indeed a problem with extra view and that they are busy working on it. MC will refund me for the days that I was unable to view.

I advise Masego that I am not happy with the service from start to the point we are currently at and request to speak to a management representative. As usual, not possible.

MC, I require a management representative to contact me to discuss my dissatisfaction, not a call centre agent and not a call centre agents supervisor. Is this too difficult?
Old 2015-03-16 , 12:35
MultiChoice

Someone senior is going to phone you shortly - the head of contact centres. I escalated to our senior service team first BEFORE you sent me your PM asking for a senior manager to phone you. As mentioned in my answer to your PM, someone senior will phone you to discuss this.

Last edited by MC Marietjie; 2015-03-16 at 13:01. .
Old 2015-03-16 , 12:54

Thank you, I await their contact.
Old 2015-03-16 , 16:28
Technical Myriad

Here are my comments for all those that read this thread later.

(1) There are many cases where a spurious "Hard Drive error" has been reported, so the first thing is NOT to panic, and switch off the decoder. let it stand for a few minutes and then switch it back on again. If the person lodging this thread had done that he could have very well saved himself the rushed trip to MC on Friday night. He could have then taken action on Saturday ....

(2) Next, Decoders MUST ALWAYS be taken in WITH the SCs associated with the decoders.

(3) NEXT when dealing with XV, BOTH decoders MUST always be taken in together. This IS the only way to ensure the link between the old decoders is properly broken before a swop is done.

(4) Lastly, there are quite a few XV problems reported on the forum at the moment all seem to involve the replacement in one way or another of old decoders with new ones.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2015-03-17 , 08:46

Many thanks for the information Geoff, I am sure that this will help whomever reads the thread to avoid this situation in the future.
I must however add that I certainly did turn the decoder off, even removed the smart card and unplugged LNB's etc.. This did not help and it was after this that the call centre advised I should bring it in, in fact after their testing (possibly an hour after I left home, so I presume it was cool enough by then) it was determined that it was indeed faulty.

My 2c, perhaps the call centre should ask the question about XV when the customer calls in and should specify that both decoders should be brought in? I only joined this forum after the fact so was oblivious to these 'standard operating procedures'.

Anyway, after another trip to MC last night I am pleased to say that my complaint has been resolved to my satisfaction and all is now working the way it should be.
Marietjie, Tebogo (who contacted me telephonically yesterday) was extremely helpful and courteous, he followed up twice yesterday and again this morning. He has restored my faith in the customer service.

Thank you.