Old 2014-03-14 , 20:38
Changes remote batteries hourly

Default SBR item for consideration

Last thing on my list, a bit of a further disappointment with SBRs.
I'll give the actual example for clarity.

I decided I want to set a SBR for "In Search Of Science" on 184 BBCK.
Having already seen this week's episode I thought I would cleverly only set it for next week onwards, so found that episode's first showing in the EPG and did just that.

A few hours later, as it's now within 24 hours before this week's episode next repeats, the SBR set a recording for that first instead.

To me that isn't how something should work intuitively, but I know it's not a train smash either.
As I'm starting to learn the ins and outs of SBRs I am now finding them useful, but it requires great care... hope this great feature will improve soon enough, thanks.
Old 2014-03-15 , 02:18
Technical Myriad

Yes this is how it works the moment you set SBR it becomes active and immediately picks up the verynext episode. Then you have to let the recording run and just delete it after it has completed. If you stop the recording too quickly the sw thinks the recording was unsucessful and will reschedule the next repeat
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2014-03-17 , 13:30
Changes remote batteries daily

I think MC is erring on the side of caution here. I think people would be more upset by accidentally setting a SBR on a later episode by mistake and missing an episode then by having to delete an extra episode being recorded.
Old 2014-03-17 , 13:35

Agreed, but then why not offer options - I know MC can't cover all eventualities but this one seems basically essential.
It could simply offer for if one wants all episodes found or just future ones.

I've purposely not added more things I've noticed to this thread, I don't want to interfere, but there's commonly used ways to make software more user friendly.
Old 2014-03-17 , 17:27
Technical Myriad

The facility is actually quite useful ..... We have on many occassions in the past had to "restore" deleted episodes and then the SBR does thta for you.

Equally, if one has to delete a setting and reset a SBR for any reason, one has to accept that old episodes previously recorded will record again ......
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2014-03-18 , 07:41

I've realised that two unusual issues are influencing my thinking.

1. I am cautious with HD PVR use, its history makes me want to avoid any over-use of the HDD and SBRs.
Also as we know, in reality SBRs need to be re-done too often.
So I find we're often setting SBRs more as an afterthought. This is also influenced by how much the series begins to grow on us.

2. When I do use them it's mostly for less than essential to us science doccies, many of those episodes can repeat over a short period.

So yes, for the more popular drama etc. series needs what you guys are saying does make general sense and one can't base solutions on past erroneous behaviour, but for wider good usage I still think a choice would be helpful, not confusing, and easy enough to implement.

Where the idea does fall down is with some of the odd ordering of episodes one gets for example on 122 Comedy Central.
Old 2014-03-18 , 10:51
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Agreed, but then why not offer options - I know MC can't cover all eventualities but this one seems basically essential.
It could simply offer for if one wants all episodes found or just future ones.

I've purposely not added more things I've noticed to this thread, I don't want to interfere, but there's commonly used ways to make software more user friendly.
Good point. When pressing record the pop up menu could have an extra item at the bottom (Default would still be "Record the series") that would be "Record the series from this Episode"
Old 2014-03-28 , 07:53

Another item of concern - please could the MC team see Failing SBRs - perhaps related to SBR coding being changed? in the Program Guides section, thanks.