Forum > Decoders > Installation > Upgrade HDPVR to Explora
Old 2015-01-05 , 20:03
Still listens to the wireless

Default Upgrade HDPVR to Explora

Hi folks,
I have an HDPVR with dual LNB and, as far as I know, an 80cm dish installed in the Weltevreden Park area (Gauteng). After watching the DSTV "How to connect the DSTV switch" on YouTube, I was under the impression that I could simply move the dual cables from my existing system to the switch and from there into the Explora, and all would work as advertised.
However, upon going to Makro to purchase the Explora, I was told that I would have to use a Quad LNB with new dish, so I would have to pay for a new installation as well.
I queried this statement, refering to the YouTube video and I was told that this would most probably not work and if it did happen to work okay, I would have no access to the Explora functionality... In other words, I would still, in effect, have an HDPVR, just with extra storage...
So I did not buy the Explora...
So, my question is; Was the salesman trying to make an extra buck, or is DSTV not being honest about the installation?
Old 2015-01-06 , 06:27
MultiChoice

Our minimum installation requirements are outlined on the DStv website. And yes we do recommend a Quad LNB with any PVR installation - this will future proof your installation.
Can you please send me a link to this You Tube video - although we do post things to our You Tube channel from time to time, our website always contains the latest information.
Old 2015-01-06 , 06:49
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepheneltze View Post
Hi folks,
I have an HDPVR with dual LNB and, as far as I know, an 80cm dish installed in the Weltevreden Park area (Gauteng). After watching the DSTV "How to connect the DSTV switch" on YouTube, I was under the impression that I could simply move the dual cables from my existing system to the switch and from there into the Explora, and all would work as advertised.
However, upon going to Makro to purchase the Explora, I was told that I would have to use a Quad LNB with new dish, so I would have to pay for a new installation as well.
I queried this statement, refering to the YouTube video and I was told that this would most probably not work and if it did happen to work okay, I would have no access to the Explora functionality... In other words, I would still, in effect, have an HDPVR, just with extra storage...
So, my question is; Was the salesman trying to make an extra buck, or is DSTV not being honest about the installation?
Hi,

All new installations are done with a quad LNB to future proof the install for the 2016/2017 additional satelite been launched. A dual LNB will still work for the next year and a bit.
The quad LNB will be needed for any HD PVR come the launch of IS20B. The SDPVR will not be able to work with the IS20B, so it is been discontinued.

You can happily buy an Explora now and do the LNB at a later stage.

Just a note, your install needs to be decent and not marginal. You need to ensure it is properly aligned.

Re the Makro salesman, I am sure they are been told the new requirements and the advise is best to get the quad LNB with an 80cm dish as most have a 60cm dish which is not great for HD and 80cm is the recommended size. So as you already have an 80cm the need to upgrade the install is not as critical.

G
Old 2015-01-06 , 07:11
Knows how to use a remote

Hi

I have recently successfully made a DIY transition from the HDPVR P2 to the Explora retaining my existing twin LNB and 80cm dish. All signal levels are well within the MC prescribed limits for the Explora. I live in Kloofendal very close to Weltevreden Park.

I am well aware of the future requirement for a quad LNB, but I will only replace my functioning twin LNB when the need dictates.

A
Old 2015-01-06 , 07:48
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndriesP View Post
...... I am well aware of the future requirement for a quad LNB, but I will only replace my functioning twin LNB when the need dictates.....
Hi Andries,
I'd fully support this very sensible approach.

Once the timeline for the new satellite coming into service has been accurately established, then plan for the upgrade. This is a simple matter for the individual user or her own dwelling.

For us, as a small complex with a communal installation it will be a bit more tricky; so I've put a substantial sum into our annual Body Corporate budget in anticipation of a major upgrade by the end of the year. It may slip to next year but, in any case, the budget will be available.

Tip: I'd recommend that other Bodies Corporate should fully consider the implications of the upgrade for their specific environment and to budget accordingly. This will avoid any surprises or special levies for those BCs which are not strongly cash positive.

Cheers, K.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2015-01-06 at 07:50. .
Old 2015-01-06 , 08:02
Technical Myriad

All the other responses have covered everything about this whole matter, except for the MI given to you by the salesman.

The DSTV supplied info and videos, does say it is a simple replacement matter and that the current TWIN (Dual) LNB should work.

There is NO need for a new antenna and a quad LNB at the moment. The salesman is talking complete rubbish about the new Explora not working or not working properly at the moment.

It is all about using an installation voucher or not. I would recommend that you rather find an accredited installer yourself and decline on the voucher if you decide to go that way anyway, but as has been indicated you can postpone that decision until later, maybe even as much as 2 years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepheneltze View Post
Hi folks,
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.
Old 2015-01-06 , 08:27
4K, baby!

Default Nomenclature regarding LNBs

Maybe I have missed some clarification whilst on my travels but .......

I am still concerned about the naming standards that are being used by MC, installers, dealers and the community at large in respect of LNBs

As I understand it, in order to support the High band services anticipated with the launch of the new satellite and specifically with the Explora Multiswitch (and its anticipated successor products) a "Quattro" LNB will be required, NOT a "Quad" LNB.

Can the above statement please be confirmed or corrected? Geoff, your expertise is required here, please.

For clarification I have provided a brief description below of the differences between Quad and Quattro LNBs.

A Quad LNB provides four outputs, each capable of providing each of the four frequency bands and polarizations. The LNB outputs are switched by the satellite receiver itself with a 22Hz tone and a switching voltage. This is like a universal LNB with four outputs.

A Quattro LNB provides four outputs, each with a single band/polarization specific to that output. The band/polarization available at each output is fixed at the time of manufacture. It is not possible to switch the band/polarization with a tone or switching voltage.

Cheers, K.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2015-01-06 at 08:30. .
Old 2015-01-06 , 08:35
Still listens to the wireless

Hi again,

Thanks for all the info!

MC Marietjie - the link is; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k3Qf837Mks

Thanks to everyone for your input and help. I checked last night and my signal strength is 98% and signal quality 100% so I believe we should be fine for now.
I can arrange the new dish etc at the end of this year, or so...

Old 2015-01-06 , 09:04
Changes remote batteries hourly

From what I've picked up K, a quatro may be better for Explora type switches, whereas a quad is best for other applications requiring direct to standard decoder port connections.

p.s. Only saw your edit afterwards, seems we have a similar concept.

Last edited by Optimist; 2015-01-06 at 09:06. .
Old 2015-01-06 , 09:18
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post
Maybe I have missed some clarification whilst on my travels but .......

I am still concerned about the naming standards that are being used by MC, installers, dealers and the community at large in respect of LNBs

As I understand it, in order to support the High band services anticipated with the launch of the new satellite and specifically with the Explora Multiswitch (and its anticipated successor products) a "Quattro" LNB will be required, NOT a "Quad" LNB.

Can the above statement please be confirmed or corrected? Geoff, your expertise is required here, please.

For clarification I have provided a brief description below of the differences between Quad and Quattro LNBs.

A Quad LNB provides four outputs, each capable of providing each of the four frequency bands and polarizations. The LNB outputs are switched by the satellite receiver itself with a 22Hz tone and a switching voltage. This is like a universal LNB with four outputs.

A Quattro LNB provides four outputs, each with a single band/polarization specific to that output. The band/polarization available at each output is fixed at the time of manufacture. It is not possible to switch the band/polarization with a tone or switching voltage.

Cheers, K.
IT all starts with understanding the terminology as you have quite rightly pointed out in this thread.

Now in this country, ONE particular supplier of components is responsible for the confusion between a Quattro and a Quad LNB. That particular supplier uses the term Quad to describe their Quattro LNB.

Barring a couple of technical issues, your summary above is accurate enough.

The term Quattro is supposed to be used to describe a 4-port LNB where two ports are dedicated to VER and two are dedicated to HOR reception, ONE of each dedicated to Hi band and the other to Lo band reception. Those ports MUST be provided with the correct voltage to select HOR or VER, and may or may not require 22 kHz tone to select the band, depending on the make of the LNB.

NOW the crunch comes:

IF the Explora switch is designed to NOT provide the 22 kHz tone, THEN a QUATTRO LNB is definitely required, but IF the Explora switch is designed to provide the 22 kHz tone THEN a QUAD LNB (which has 4 universal LNB ports) will work.

So far, the info provided by MC is NOT specific enough to confirm either way WHAT the situation is, and as Hi-band is NOT used yet, it is not easy to TEST what the Explora Switch is doing or is capable of .....

Some would argue that as the Explora switch has fixed input ports, that it is in any case better to use a Quattro LNB, and they may be correct in the longer run. IF one wants to retain flexibility on your install, a universal LNB is the better option.
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.
Tags
explora, hdpvr, installation, lnb, smart lnb, switch, upgrade