Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > DStv Products > XtraView > Tuner signal drops when 2nd LNB is plugged in
Old 2013-05-21 , 08:55
Still listens to the wireless

Question Tuner signal drops when 2nd LNB is plugged in

Hi All
So over the past few days I have had a very odd issue which I am trying to troubleshoot.

I have 2 x HD PVR decoders with XtraView. Self installed and all working 100% for over 6 months.
The decoders are in seperate rooms.
I am using a LNBU4 (Universal 4x4 LNB) on my satelite dish.
So 2 cables to room A and two to room B.

On the primary decoder, I loose signal to tuner 1 when I plug the LNB into tuner 2. I have swapped the cables around to rule out an issue with the cabling and the same thing happens to tuner 1. Tested this again today and sometimes it kills the signal to tuner 1 completely and sometimes brings the dignal down to 40%. Tuner 2 remains at 100% while doing this.
On the secondary, I notice that the Tuner 2 signal is down to 40%.
Could there be an issue with my LNB?
I took the decoder to Stoneridge and as per Murphy's law, it did not show the same symptoms.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
This post may be in the wrong thread as my Xtraview is working perfectly through all of this.
I am just having to keep LNB out of tuner 2 so that the primary can at least watch TV.

Thanks
Perel
Old 2013-05-21 , 09:00
Technical Myriad

What is the make and model of the LNB?

What network settings have you selected or are activated on the decoder?
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.
Old 2013-05-21 , 09:08

The LNB is an ElSat bought directly from Ellies.
Freq range: 10.7 - 12.75 GHz
LO1: 9.75 GHz LO2: 10.70 GHz

Sorry Geoff but which network settings are you looking for?
Thanks for the quick reply btw
Old 2013-05-21 , 09:19
Technical Myriad

(1) thanks for the info, let us just verify the actual model number of the LNB. There are 2 types of LNBs,

Universal (The individual LNB ports are able to be be set for both VER and HOR transponders), and;

QUATTRO: The LNBs have 2 VER and 2 HOR ports. These LNBs cxannot be used directly connected to MC decoders, EXCEPT for the SD PVR.

A QUATTRO LNB sold by Ellies is incorrectly labelled as a QUAD LNB, a name that should only be used for Universal LNBs.

I supect you have one of these, which means the decoder is unable to properly control the LNB under all conditions.

So when you view a channel on a VER transponder, and a VER port is connected to tuner 1, all works, but as soon as you change channels to a channel on a HOR transponder, the signal drops because the decoder can't control the LNB port anymore. ( and vice versa for tuner 2, which is normally I think also on VER, except when recording a HOR channel).

There are 2 solutions -- change the LNB for a proper 4-way Universal LNB, OR, get 2 multiswitches ( 2 x 4) to place between the decoders and the LNBs, one in each room.

Last edited by Geoff D; 2013-05-21 at 09:49. .
Old 2013-05-21 , 09:36

Thanks Geoff
It is a Universal for sure as when I made the purchase I explained to the staff the setup I was going for. She also asked me if I was in a house or complex, as I assume complexes use the multiswitches. The box is marked LNBU4 Universal 4 x 4 LNB.
Everything was working perfectly for months, this is all recent.
Both tuners sat on 100% signal.
So you reckon something has happened to my LNB?
Old 2013-05-21 , 09:56
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perel View Post
Thanks Geoff
It is a Universal for sure as when I made the purchase I explained to the staff the setup I was going for. She also asked me if I was in a house or complex, as I assume complexes use the multiswitches. The box is marked LNBU4 Universal 4 x 4 LNB.
Everything was working perfectly for months, this is all recent.
Both tuners sat on 100% signal.
So you reckon something has happened to my LNB?
Okay. the LNB looks correct.

No That we cannot say. Do you have a single view decoder available? If you do or can borrow one, try and connect it to each port in turn and see if you have full access to all channels. This will prove the LNB and the cable is okay or not.

After that you may have to physically check the LNB for signs of damage, or water damage or shorts or something of that nature.

Then you need to verify the network settings on the decoders under the advanced options. Both decoders should have only the home network default setting for IS 20. ( no other networks enabled).

Last edited by Geoff D; 2013-05-21 at 12:53. .
Old 2013-05-21 , 12:24

Thanks Geoff for the brain storming session.

I deduced it was the LNB. Took it through to Ellies for testing and they found something to be intermitant.
New one installed and I am all happy again.
Tags
lnb, pvr 2p, signal