Old 2011-02-15 , 12:00
Knows how to use a remote

Default Wind moving dish/lnb?

Last year I did a DIY upgrade to HD by neatly replacing my standard LNB with a SATCR. Everything was in alignment and I rotated the new LNB until a friend told me I had good signal quality (100% and 87%) on tuners 1 and 4. About 2 weeks ago after a storm I saw that tuner 4 all of a sudden was down to 0%.

So, after a bit of asking around a friend with a bakkie and a big ladder (2 story house) came around and I rotated the LNB until again I had 100% and 87%. Around a week later now tuner 4 is showing 0%.

Is there a way to fix the position of the LNB? The SATCR is quite a big box so I can imagine it gets more easily dislodged than the standard smaller one. I tightened the bracket as securely as I could with my screwdriver after rotating it.

I'm not too keen on paying an installer to do what should be a simple job.
Old 2011-02-15 , 12:23
Changes remote batteries daily

These kind of work around just calls for technical application as to what you have in place. On just maybe speculation as to your challenge I would advise maybe to find a neat flexible rubber band of reasonable thickness and you warp it around the tightening bracket so that when you screw it up it works as a wedge and holds the lnb securely in place…and yes for some of us too we never call the installers to just "gobble" our hard earned cash for something that can be easily done.

silent witness
Old 2011-02-15 , 12:59
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysor View Post
Last year I did a DIY upgrade to HD by neatly replacing my standard LNB with a SATCR. Everything was in alignment and I rotated the new LNB until a friend told me I had good signal quality (100% and 87%) on tuners 1 and 4. About 2 weeks ago after a storm I saw that tuner 4 all of a sudden was down to 0%.

So, after a bit of asking around a friend with a bakkie and a big ladder (2 story house) came around and I rotated the LNB until again I had 100% and 87%. Around a week later now tuner 4 is showing 0%.

Is there a way to fix the position of the LNB? The SATCR is quite a big box so I can imagine it gets more easily dislodged than the standard smaller one. I tightened the bracket as securely as I could with my screwdriver after rotating it.

I'm not too keen on paying an installer to do what should be a simple job.
Three reasons why an LNB rotates in the support bracket:

(1) Neck of LNB is thinner than it should be
(2) Screws holding the two halves together are stripped/ or the plestick has stripped
(3) The cable tension is pulling the LNB off line.

Installer reaction will be : replace antenna --

Try wrapping some rubber tape around the neck.
If the screws are stripped/ plestick stripped, use bigger screws or drill through and replace with bolts
relax cables a bit and use a tie wrap to take tension off the LNB
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.
Old 2011-02-15 , 13:40
Knows how to use a remote

Thanks Geoff and Tulani. I'll check the bracket for tightness and add some black electrical tape to the connection. The cable is definitely not too tight as it makes quite a wide loop.

I guess I should get myself a ladder so I don't have to call my friend again after only a week.
Old 2011-02-15 , 14:28
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
.....and add some black electrical tape to the connection.
Don’t you think a firmer material will give more “teeth grip” and more weather durability? Am thinking insulation tape gets blasted by the sun and is prone to peeling off and you lose grip again??

silent witness
Old 2011-02-15 , 19:34
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:
I guess I should get myself a ladder so I don't have to call my friend again after only a week.
Buy a three section ladder from SA Ladder (http_://_www._saladder.co.za ) (spaces inserted in web address), they are very reasonably priced, and the quality is good.
Tags
install, lnb, satcr, weather