Forum > Content > General > DStv's Reluctance on Anime - 2
Closed Thread  
Old 2014-08-09 , 13:50
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I thought the whole idea with the MC business model was to bundle content that few people want to watch with content that lots of people wanted to watch.
If the viewership figures make it viable and commercially viable (adverts).
Kids drive parents to get DStv Premium and adverts subtle on kids channels still generate interests for kids products and parents to maintain a subscription.

Anime because it is not a kids content and not seen mature for the average adult, puts in a very specific demographic for adults that are still kids - that is the perception (not saying right or wrong).
Old 2014-08-09 , 21:31
Knows how to use a remote

Anime isn’t for a specific demographic, there’s anime for everyone, kids, teens, and adults, male or female. It even has as many genres as live-action does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I thought the whole idea with the MC business model was to bundle content that few people want to watch with content that lots of people wanted to watch.
MultiChoice got Animax as a package deal with SONY, they probably didn’t want it to begin with, and probably spent the years they had it looking for a way to get rid of it.
Old 2014-08-11 , 14:49
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny Jane View Post
Anime isn’t for a specific demographic, there’s anime for everyone, kids, teens, and adults, male or female. It even has as many genres as live-action does.

MultiChoice got Animax as a package deal with SONY, they probably didn’t want it to begin with, and probably spent the years they had it looking for a way to get rid of it.
Sony actually do a very good SciFi channel in some territories called AXN SciFi. It has a great selection of SciFi shows and Anime too.
Old 2014-08-12 , 00:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABII View Post
Sony actually do a very good SciFi channel in some territories called AXN SciFi. It has a great selection of SciFi shows and Anime too.
I heard about that one, I think it would make a great addition to DStv, but judging by MultiChoice’s history, a sci-fi channel that regularly shows anime is just not gonna happen.
Old 2014-08-12 , 09:19

Does that channel still exist? Wikipedia seems to suggest that it's been replaced by AXN Black, which may not be purely sci-fi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AXN_Sci_Fi

But looking at the list of shows there, it seems as though the focus isn't so much on showing the latest series, so that's one potential stumbling block removed. And given the countries that it's been shown in, it could be that the channel's not too expensive. So if it is still in operation then it's not inconceivable that it could come to DStv, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 2014-08-13 , 12:02

Your message is so de ja vu me! I posted a similar query already on forum (especially regarding Studio Ghibli movies) and still no explanation. Would really like this issue regarding anime on DSTV demystified!
Old 2014-08-14 , 15:53
MultiChoice

MultiChoice acquires channels, not specific shows. As you know (and as some forumites have heard our GM for Content, Aletta Alberts, say) we're continually reviewing channels for possible inclusion on the DStv platform. There are a number of different criteria we use - from viewer research, to whether the channel is actually available to us (licensing wise and logistically to get the channel onto our satellite), to things like price of the channel and the number of viewers we feel the channel will attract.

Even though we focus on getting channels that will appeal to a wide range of our customers, we do also look at specific niche channels to cater for very specific viewing tastes. Unfortunately Animax did not perform well at all but that certainly does not mean that we are reluctant to show anime. It's just a question of whether we feel such a channel will fill a gap in our current offering and whether it is logistically and financially possible to acquire such a channel.

As Aletta always says - we never say never on any channels. So have passed this discussion on to Aletta and her team...
Old 2014-08-14 , 16:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post

As Aletta always says - we never say never on any channels. So have passed this discussion on to Aletta and her team...
What is her feedback on the HD wish list?
Old 2014-08-14 , 16:09
MultiChoice

Mmmmmmmmmm…...
Old 2014-08-14 , 16:38

Hi MC Marietjie,

Thank you for relaying the query, however the request is not for specific shows, but rather anime movies as in the case of Studio Ghibli movies; like how DSTV acquire various Pixar and Disney movies, why do we not see as many anime movies and a while back I also asked about why DSTV do not consider animation movies outside the Disney stable, such as the french animation movies from Silvain Chomet ie The Triplets of Belleville and The Illusionist; both Oscar nominated movies (very beautiful and very much suitable for the whole family too) . But it seems like DSTV has a tendency of only favouring Disney or Pixar movies. Anyhoo, this query started with anime movies (in particular the Studio Ghibli movies), so I hope we can have this clarified.

Thank you, MC Marietjie.
Closed Thread  
Tags
animax, anime, channels, movies, series