Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > UNWANTED SD PVR REBOOT
Old 2017-10-16 , 11:38
Changes remote batteries hourly

By "active" they only mean it must be listed as active on your account. If still so then you qualify.
Old 2017-10-16 , 12:29
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans View Post
The SD PVR is trying to boot now for more than 3 weeks.
It's stuck on Scan
have you got another decoder, even an old one that you can connect to each cable one at a time and at least establish that you have a good signal?

Then try and get the decoder to time out of the scanning process by deliberately disconnecting both feeds so that you can see what is going on with the settings and even restore defaults.

If you cant get this to work, then unfortunately the SD PVR has gone faulty and it is at the end of the line.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-10-16 , 13:55
Still gets up to change channels

@Geoff D,
Thanks Geoff, the 2P sits next to it.
Signal strength and quality 100% (?)
Swopped cables on multi switch any way you can think of, but still nothing. Also made up new cabling from ms to decoders
Old 2017-10-16 , 14:08
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans View Post
@Geoff D,
Thanks Geoff, the 2P sits next to it.
Signal strength and quality 100% (?)
Swopped cables on multi switch any way you can think of, but still nothing. Also made up new cabling from ms to decoders

So you never told us that before. There is a chance that the MS is actually faulty.

Try for test purposes to connect the SD POVR directly to the cables form the LNB. yes the HD PVR 2P will now not work, but if the SD PVR completes is boot cycle then the fault lies with the MS.
Old 2017-10-17 , 08:52
Technical Myriad

Reboots of both decoders this morning at 08:30. First the Primary decoder, then the SD PVR, followed by 4 or 5 black screen freezes on both decoders.

No error messages seen
Old 2017-10-17 , 17:23
Knows how to use a remote

DSTV attacking SDPVR decoders again after a week of no re-boots obviously they could not convince enough SDPVR subscribers to change to explora's. The re-boots started Saturday and have not stopped couple everyday.
Old 2017-10-18 , 08:30
MultiChoice

Folks we are not doing something to your decoder on purpose to try to force you to upgrade - if we wanted to do that, wed simply stop allowing you to use the decoder to access the service. This is happening because your decoder cannot cope with all the demands on it, including authentication commands being sent.
As weve said, this is like trying to use an old brick Nokia phone to access modern day apps - the decoder is in end of Support for a reason and had been since November 2014.
Old 2017-10-18 , 08:40
Changes remote batteries hourly

What these conspiracy guys aren't understanding is the fluctuations with the problems.

I know weekend sport can often add to these problems as there's then lots of small slots added to the EPG, but it's harder to understand why things seem fine enough for a few days again, then come back worse than before.
My previous theory was MC's continued experimentation efforts to correct / improve, but what's been announced since and the continued odd behaviour now suggests otherwise.

Whatever explains it, I'm certain after all these years I've been involved that it's not intentional.
Old 2017-10-18 , 09:06
Knows how to use a remote

Then please explain we had 3 weeks of prime time reboots then suddenly a couple of days with no reboots then DSTV phones to discuss my SDPVR and when they do not get the response they want suddenly multiple reboots morning, day and night.
Changes in program schedules started this reboot fiasco and authentication probably compounded this and now I am supposed to replace my SDPVR with 2 Explora's to get more or less what I had with 1 SDPVR. Don't tell me about internet with Explora I have broadband wifi can watch my own selection of movies. Don't tell me about extended catchup I have enough repeats to last me a lifetime on DSTV service or any other supposed benefits of Explora.
Microsoft also tried to tell us Windows 8 was the greatest it was a total loss and Windows 10 was rushed through to correct the error of their ways.
The only thing I am interested in is having the ability to view various programs simultaneously my sport, my wife's preferences and my daughter's preferences which I had with SDPVR. Tell me your Explora does not have problems and I am supposed to spend a lot of money and changes to my installation and 4 TV locations just to inherit Explora problems and simulated viewing experience of a single SDPVR. Great service DSTV call the SDPVR a brick then what is the Explora a lemon.
Old 2017-10-18 , 21:10
Technical Myriad

Another round of reboots tonight just after 18:00.

The answer is simple MC.

STOP sending authentication commands that the decoder cannot understand or react to correctly.
MC can do this we all know you are able to do so because we all experience days when none of this nonsense goes on.
MC already does this authentication on groups other wise we all will experience all of this at exactly the same time.
So create a group for SD PVR and UEC decoders that excludes commands the decoders can't handle.
Simple clean and in the interests of your customers.

MC must start appreciating the levels of frustration you are creating in the market place with all of this nonsense.
You are pushing us all to the wall, where we will simply walk away. And forget ever getting us back ever.

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-10-19 at 09:12. .